It would be silly to say that availability and range in price don't help Android.
    It doesn't help "Android", unless marketshare now pays a dividend. (it doesn't) It helps the companies that sell the phones to be able to glom onto an ecosystem.

It's like comparing Ford to all Asian carmakers...
    11-30-11 12:43 AM
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    11-30-11 12:47 AM
    It doesn't help "Android", unless marketshare now pays a dividend. (it doesn't) It helps the companies that sell the phones to be able to glom onto an ecosystem.

It's like comparing Ford to all Asian carmakers...

... helps Android proliferate... being free helps AndroidOS to be adopted.

In any case, Google made a calculated gamble: give OS away for free, and reap rewards elsewhere, so, in that, it is head-to-head battle that Google is winning.

The ecosystem helps it to keep market share.

I don't buy into all the "BBOS is dated" nonsense. The OS is quite vibrant. Content wins, however, and it is hard to create that ecosystem (I hate that buss word). I don't think that iOS or Android OS are better in any way, but they have the e-word.

That is why I think the idea isn't that crazy. Unpalatable, maybe, but corporations don't have the privilege of being queasy.
    11-30-11 12:53 AM
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL. I kinda feel you there. The BB purist in me hopes it doesn't happen.
    11-30-11 12:53 AM
    I really wish there was a Dislike button. And why is this in the 9900/9930 forum?
    11-30-11 12:55 AM
    I agree. BBOS is outdated. Really could use a makeover. Will save final opinion till after bbx tho. I had 4 different blackberries and they all felt like the same phone. Not good.
    Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 11-30-11 at 02:47 AM.
    11-30-11 02:45 AM
    BBOS may be outdated. But still very stable and reliable. When i think of moving to other platforms, something is still pulling me to stay with BB (Not specifically BBM alone).

BBX will be the answer to all the problems RIM is facing, interms of broader consumer satisfaction.

By the way, Android OS on a BlackBerry will make it look extremely cheap, and a bad idea.
    11-30-11 03:05 AM
    Brilliant idea!! Except every smartphone manufacture on earth using android except apple, nokia and rim. Some of those chinese phone makers selling dual core devices with android for under $300. How can rim compete?
    11-30-11 03:11 AM
    While i agree that a android BB could sell ... it could also damage the reputation of RIM in the long term which no one could predict.
    I belive one reason why RIM can rally so many fanboys around them self, is that they stay true to themself, but some people might call it ignorant or arrogant.Also when most people buy a BB they have a specific expactation which android doesnt fulfills.

Before i bought my first blackberry i had a samsung feature phone ( my third in a row )... if i never bought a BB i had probly bought a samsung again and i would own a android today.For me its not rocket science that android is so popular today ...i refuse to belive that most people buy based on operating systems but rather buy brands (manufactorys).
    11-30-11 03:19 AM
    Go from the most secure O/S to the most unsecure O/S, lol. Businesses everywhere would be stuck on BB for years with no upgrade possibilities...hmmm, maybe the original poster has something there, not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-11 06:28 AM
    I just think Android has "more sales" because they don't make their own hardware so those mobile phone companies do part of the work for them.
    11-30-11 08:24 AM
    No OP you just need to buy an android if that is what you want.
    11-30-11 08:27 AM
    Regarding the issue of RIM adopting android and the need for better hardware maybe the best would be to hire another company like HTC to build their new android phones with the specs RIM wants, for example the exact size of they phisical keyboards.
    11-30-11 08:50 AM
    we have some very smart people in this forum,but the guy who started this post is not one of them,and thats an understatement.
    11-30-11 09:22 AM
    What does any of this have to do with Bold 99xx????
    11-30-11 09:36 AM
    Actually RIM is doing something I like here. The droids have more apps but the ecosystem is vulnerable to viruses.
    For the purists, RIM is going to continue the OS7 line for years.
    For the guys that wan't more apps sooner but like the security there will be BBX.

I think this is a good call.

HTML5 is going to put a big dent in getting RIM to look good on apps because they will port with just minor tweaks. Good call again.

RIM made some mistakes in the past, mostly sleeping in their laurels and therefore slow to respond to market pressures, but they got the memo now and we are already enjoying the benefits of this via OS7 BlackBerry phones and the Playbook (yeah, I do love mine). The next step is BBX and it is going to serve a broader base of users.

Looking forward to 2012. It should be a great year for RIM and us.
    11-30-11 09:45 AM
    You can drive a car with your feet, but that don't make it a good idea. As a business professional I have had android and ios. Both tried to meet my expectations but I keep coming back to RIM. Battery life, keyboard, security and ease of communications is where RIM caters. If I was a 12 year old girl and only needed apps to tell my friends I am taking a picture in my bathroom, I will go to another OS.
    lol very true
    11-30-11 09:49 AM
    Could always just buy a Kyocera dual screen...
    11-30-11 10:26 AM
    Could always just buy a Kyocera dual screen...
    Three words: Hor. Ren. Dous.
    11-30-11 10:31 AM
    If RIM uses Android they could build exclusive security features for their phones, with Android you can edit the code and build your exclusive OS with the features you want.

Lets see what RIM is going to do in the future, but as it is right now they are loosing millions of users, also by releasing phones like the bold 9900 that bricks itself in the night and by not releasing fast a fix for this they are showing that they are in trouble and maybe the best solution is to move their phones to another OS.

Also the battery of the bold 9900 last less than 24 hours, I think it is the worst battery of any blackberry.

One user write that why I am here if I am an iPhone fan, the only reason I open an account was because I am on my third bold 9900 and I am trying to see if they have released a fix for this issue to stop worrying about the bricking issue.

With my iPhone 4S I never have problems, you don't have to worry for nothing, it works great without issues and this makes it a great phone.
    11-30-11 01:34 PM
    Yeah then one of the "advantages" RIM would have over their current situation is they can start shelling out patent license royalties on a per handset basis to Microsoft like all the other Android players.
    11-30-11 01:46 PM
    Why people would choose a blackberry using android instead of a samsung phone because blackberry is the only phone that could have BBM and push mail. This two features are the only ones that make people buy a blackberry.
    Actually, for me, I don't even use BBM. And push mail is a wonderful thing, but that one item would not stop me from going to a different platform. (I even switched to an iphone for a year without push email. Great phone....but lacked in different areas that bugged me too much.)

While having more apps might be nice, I would hate to go to the Android OS. I like BlackBerry's OS much better and prefer it over the other phones out there. I admit that RIM has had problems, but they are still strong in many countries (and in some areas gaining strength and sales). It may not be happening so much in the U.S., but that is hardly the world and not a great gage to go by anyway.

Everyone has their own idea of a better, if not "perfect", phone!
    11-30-11 01:59 PM
    Seriously just get a droid phone as a supplement. Droid OS on a bb would be hideously unproductive.

11-30-11 02:04 PM
    Android seems to be best suited to two things:Giant phonelike devices or tiny tablet phones. Oh, wait, is that an oxymoron?

Currently, I know four former BlackBerry owners that own Androids. They like a couple of things their Droids have that BlackBerry doesn't, but really would rather give them up to regain what they lost with the BB. They changed early this year because it was upgrade time and getting a 9650 or a Curve wasn't an attractive option.

The world really doesn't 'need' a glut of more Google phones, the market is adjusting over a period of time, just fine. Yeah, RIM has had some mis-steps that have left them at the edge of a big, scary fall, but adrenaline makes a good motivator if you have a survival instinct.

And about ecosystems; Remember, even a prison can be given a trendy name. Painting the walls pretty colors and adding cable TV doesn't really make it a better place to be.

11-30-11 02:30 PM
    RIM is right now in a difficult time with lower sales of their mobile phones mainly because apple and android.

I think that right now is time that RIM changes a lot of things to sell more phones, one thing they can do is to drop their OS and use android in their phones.

They can keep the exclusivity of blackbberry messenger and the push mail, also they will have that great keyboard phones as a selling point.

If they do this amazing and smart move they will be again one of the top mobile companies in the world.

People that wants a new phone would love to buy a blackberry because you have thousands of apps from android, the exclusivity of bbm with your pin number and the great push mail.

If you see what nokia has done with their os to drop it and use windows was a smart move, RIM needs to do this type of things if they want to stay on the market.

What do you think, I have a bold 9900 with OS 7 and I don't think that their OS has something amazing after using and having and iphone 4S.

Their best bet is to move to Android because it is impossible to use ios.
    You can't be serious can you. If that's how you feel why don't you just switch to android they have very nice handset as well.
    11-30-11 02:37 PM
102 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD