So i think with RIM Releasing these new devices this year they'll be able to get out of this hole they put them selves into and be able to get back in smartphone race. They're not gonna be in first but they'll at least have a chance to get there next year. Also CBC news did a thing on RIM like 10 minutes ago and they said the new blackberry could help RIM bounce right back up. What are your thoughts?
    06-21-11 09:57 PM
    considering how many people I hear on these forums are going to get this baby as soon as it's released, or going to get it anyway. I would say, yeah... it is definately going to be a nice boost for rim.

For me, this device also actually compares to other devices on the Market. So much so, that I have even read some android users will be getting this.

I'm getting this asap, but I just rim don't release QNX phones too soon. Phones are a lot of money.
    DeeDudnath and mssca like this.
    06-21-11 10:04 PM
    I also feel the comeback cheers from the crowd. But that's only if they don't give up on or shade the quality name that comes with RIM. IMO when you hear blackberry the things that come to your mind is great email, battery life, quality build(s) and security. Capitalize on this along with some of these new features that non phone geeks/nerds like to hear. Half these people don't even know what 1.2ghz processor SoC freakin means. They just like to sound "in the know". So give them good quality with a lil flash and RIM back in the war.
    DeeDudnath likes this.
    06-21-11 10:25 PM
    considering how many people I hear on these forums are going to get this baby as soon as it's released, or going to get it anyway. I would say, yeah... it is definately going to be a nice boost for rim.

For me, this device also actually compares to other devices on the Market. So much so, that I have even read some android users will be getting this.

I'm getting this asap, but I just rim don't release QNX phones too soon. Phones are a lot of money.
    LOL you don't have to buy them unless you want to. I don't think they force you.
    06-21-11 10:28 PM
    I don't think the general public puts a lot of forethought into their new phone, they mostly look at what's available when its their time to upgrade. RIM's problem is they don't have a lot of options out there period, much less, up-to-date ones. They have several nice phones, but the exclusivity deals really limited their offerings. Torch, Style, and Bold 9780 only on 1 US carrier each...

If they can get this new crop out and out to everyone, they could quickly turn things around. Like I've said before, hardly any Android purchasers have gone through two years to be eligible for an upgrade. Will they stick with Android is a big question...
    06-21-11 10:29 PM
    I'm certainly looking forward to getting it. If others think like myself, it's got a broad range of features that may appeal to a lot of people. After all, who needs a Veer when the 9900 has a bigger screen (yes, it does) and a much better keyboard?! (unless you're a Hewlitt-Packard-commisions-Lady Gaga groupie)
    Last edited by ArGiEs; 06-21-11 at 10:34 PM.
    06-21-11 10:29 PM
    IMO, any attempt of a comeback begins and ends with QNX. There's no more "well this is RIM's first attempt at QNX in a phone". It might be their first attempt, but no one is giving them that excuse this late in the game. If the first QNX phone doesn't get a good reception, I think no one is going to give them another chance. I don't care how much profit/revenue RIM gets each QTR, they better treat this QNX BlackBerry like it's their last chance, no more settling for weak sales and calling it a "success" because they turned profit. I'm not saying it has to beat the iPhone or any Android device, but they better have that mentality - no more f--king around.
    06-22-11 12:08 AM
    I will always be loyal to RIM as long as they don't lose sight of what they are best at doing. Blackberry is the ONLY device where you can assign different ringtones for each email account you set up. You can set a different ringtone for SMS, phone, twitter, bbm, etc, No other manufacturer can do this. RIM is also known for their RF and call quality. It's a phone first, let's not forget that. Battery life is superb. Push email, the best in the industry. Of course we can't forget BBM. Keyboard is the best, IMO. Build quality is excellent. They are not the best, but they are up there. I have the iPhone4 and I have owned a number of Android devices. IMO, everything I mentioned above, RIM supersedes in those departments. RIM have many loyal customers. They just need to release their phones faster. I can bet you, when the Bold 9900 is released, it will sell out on launch date.
    06-22-11 12:50 AM
    yyaaa i think they will boost rkm and start the comeback of the century. gogo microsoft cloud partnership
    06-22-11 02:39 AM
    RIM isn't selling many handsets this year because they haven't put any out. No one wants to buy the ones that are out now either because they know about the bold touch and the other new ones or because they look at what is out now and they just don't compare to android or iphone for your average consumer.

If the bold touch etc. are comparable they'll be fine even if QNX on handsets is coming next year as long as consumers can say this phone is just as nice as those others and not .........jeeze this thing is slow and laggy.
    06-22-11 05:39 AM
    RIM, Motorola won't benefit from coming smartphone boom, analyst claims

I know most of the guys here will just say "wah wah it's BGR!" but they only report the news. Read it yourself.... RIM is treading water here.
    06-22-11 06:39 AM

I know most of the guys here will just say "wah wah it's BGR!" but they only report the news. Read it yourself.... RIM is treading water here.
    How about a copy and paste? I don't want to give them another page hit.
    06-22-11 06:44 AM
    Sure:

RIM, Moto Cut At Credit Suisse: No Date For The Prom
    Semis: iSuppli Ups Forecast; Wireless Chips TopsApple: School Promotion Pushes App Store, Says Barclays
    EMAILPRINTPERMALINK
    TWITTER

FACEBOOK
    YAHOO! BUZZ
    STUMBLEUPON
    DIGG
    FARK
    REDDIT
    MYSPACE
    LINKEDIN
    DEL.ICIO.US
    Text Size
    By Tiernan Ray

Credit Suisse’s Kulbinder Garcha this morning cut his rating on both Research in Motion (RIMM) and Motorola Mobility (MMI), even as he raised his estimate for the smartphone market.

Smartphones will rise by 62% this year to 482 million units, 7% higher than his prior estimate for the market. In 2012, he sees smartphone units going up by 36%, to 656 million units, which is 10% higher than he’d previously modeled.

But Apple (AAPL), Samsung (SSNLF), and HTC (2498.TW) are going to continue to dominate, he thinks, leaving Moto and RIM further behind. Apple and Samsung and HTC come up best when measured by his nine key metrics, he writes: software, services, cloud, product, brand, distribution, tablet convergence, IPR, and chipset efficiency.

Garcha cut RIM to Neutral from Outperform, and cut his price target to $30 from $70. He sees RIM losing out on the expanding smarphone market, generating sales of perhaps 52.9 million units this year and 60.4 million next year, for 11% market share this year, going to 9% share in 2012.

He’s now modeling just $4.90 per share in earnings this fiscal year ending in February, versus RIM’s forecast for $5.25 to $6, and $5 per share in fiscal 2013.

Garcha echoes claims by Oppenheimer & Co.’s Ittai Kidron and Needham & Co.’s Charlie Wolf, this morning and yesterday, that Apple will have a cheaper iPhone down the road. He thinks that it will further hurt RIM: “We believe that in 2012 Apple could launch a low-end iPhone ($250 ASP) in order to drive future growth, address competitive pressures from Android, take advantage of Nokia’s disruption, and drive continued earnings growth.”

RIM’s service fees, moreover, may go down, as the company loses leverage with carriers, based on Garcha’s conversations recently with procurement contacts at carriers around the world: “As RIM loses its innovation edge, more than 50% of respondents believe they can renegotiate RIM’s service fees downward.”

For Moto, Garcha went even further, cutting the stock to Underperform from Outperform, and cutting his price target to $19 from a prior $31.

Moto will “struggle to generate an operating margin above 5%” given the competitive landscape, with perhaps just 4% share of smartphones. That adds up to 19.4 million smartphone units this year, which will produce an $80 million profit, an improvement from 2010′s operating loss for Moto’s devices.

However, that’s just 3.5% operating margin, he observes.

Competition from Samsung and HTC at Verizon Communications (VZ) will further erode the company’s sales as pressure increases on smartphone prices. Any business with Sprint-Nextel (S), he thinks, can do little to offset share erosion at Verizon.

RIM shares today are up $1.37, or 5%, at $27.26, while Moto shares are down 71 cents, or 3%, at $23.78.
    06-22-11 06:48 AM
    How about a copy and paste? I don't want to give them another page hit.
    Me neither : ( but I may just go copy and paste it for everyone. *gulp* here goes...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit: well nevermind! I had the page open on my phone for a while and in that time it got copy + pasted
    06-22-11 06:54 AM
    I went through the BGR article to the source. Copy is up a couple of messages.
    06-22-11 06:59 AM
    Thanks kevinnugent. So has this Garcha been correct before? And does this Garcha even matter? I searched and can't find info on him/her just articles.
    06-22-11 07:06 AM
    Apple releasing a low end phone? That'll never happen. :P

... unless they take the iPhone 1 and name it iPhone 5 Lite.
    06-22-11 07:11 AM

The biggest problem with these so called analysts is that they do talk an awful lot of crap at times...thats why they are called analysts ie they just analyse the markets and trends but they cant say for sure whats going to happen. But then no one really knows what will happen for sure.

As for me??..ill definitely be getting this phone....to me this is the dream BB device...i remember a couple of yrs ago when the rumours began of such a device maybe being released in the near future and i nearly creamed my pants lol....i love the 9000 form factor but with the touch screen, ramped up CPU and more RAM, it can only get better. Sure it may not be an iphone killer or Android killer but after having owned various Android handsets and quite frankly getting bored witless with them and even having an iphone4 now...i have to say i get far more enjoyment out of my BB than either of those devices and the 9900 will be the cream of the crop even if it does have its little bugs and quirks.

Im RIM through and through....i cant see myself leaving them for another platform...why?? i just dont know but maybe because RIM is canadian and me being canadian bred for a good 20 yrs has something to do with it. I just think RIM needs to concentrate more on getting these devices out...it takes them far too long to release these devices...perhaps of announcing them so early, they should announce them a few weeks before getting them out on the market...that way people dont get so worked up about it.
    06-22-11 07:27 AM
    Apple releasing a low end phone? That'll never happen. :P

... unless they take the iPhone 1 and name it iPhone 5 Lite.
    I agree. They are doing too well selling everyone the same phone. There is no reason to have a cheaper one. They have branded their company so well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 07:27 AM
    I am worried that by the time RIM get new hardware out they will have lost them to Apple or the Android system. It is slick and friendly. Most people who buy phones are NOT looking at this forum. They go to the phone store and the sales people push what they got to sell. RIM has nothing to sell.

I blame all the time and resources they put into the half baked PlayBook!
    06-22-11 07:32 AM
    I don't think the general public puts a lot of forethought into their new phone, they mostly look at what's available when its their time to upgrade. RIM's problem is they don't have a lot of options out there period, much less, up-to-date ones. They have several nice phones, but the exclusivity deals really limited their offerings. Torch, Style, and Bold 9780 only on 1 US carrier each...

If they can get this new crop out and out to everyone, they could quickly turn things around. Like I've said before, hardly any Android purchasers have gone through two years to be eligible for an upgrade. Will they stick with Android is a big question...
    This, is so spot on, it is ridiculous.

Sprint had the Curve and Tour....and that was it for a while, then the Bold and Curve and eventually the Style. No one is going to get those when its your only 2/3 options compared to the 20 Android phones with more memory and hardware specs etc etc.

They need to cut down on this 'exclusivity' deal all the time. You can say the same that the "Droid 2" is only Verizon, etc etc, but HTC makes 3 different phones, that all have the same hardware and release them to 3 seperate carriers, so even though I'm on Sprint or AT&T or Verizon, I have the same phone basically on all 3 to pick from. Not a "oh i can't have that phone I'm on a different provider." dilemma like with Blackberry.

I feel bad that this phone is going to be at half the processing speed and maybe even memory when it finally comes out compared to other phones it its price range. =/ It looks like a really sweet phone and 'fixed' everything I had a complaint about from the 9650. If it was out now I'd have it, no doubt.
    06-22-11 09:55 PM
    I am worried that by the time RIM get new hardware out they will have lost them to Apple or the Android system. It is slick and friendly. Most people who buy phones are NOT looking at this forum. They go to the phone store and the sales people push what they got to sell. RIM has nothing to sell.

I blame all the time and resources they put into the half baked PlayBook!
    By the way RIM is not even competing on the same category as Apple and Android, five years ago maybe. This is the future now, and RIM is still in the past. RIM competes on the second Division now, which means you have to get to the top of the 2nd division first before you can enter the 1st. RIM and NOkia must be related.
    06-23-11 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD