why do you need 2 processors?

the thunderbolt can be ran on 3G or LTE with no issues and doesnt have 2 processors?
    05-03-11 10:48 AM
    I personally don't think 4G is that big of deal right now.
    05-03-11 10:48 AM
    why do you need 2 processors?

the thunderbolt can be ran on 3G or LTE with no issues and doesnt have 2 processors?
    He mains radio chips rather than processors I assume.
    05-03-11 10:57 AM
    He mains radio chips rather than processors I assume.
    Correct, and I edited. Long night and short morning. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-11 11:11 AM
    its going to have 2 radios for several more years. VZW i think will still have LTE rollout until 2015 and im sure the other companies will well past that. You still have to have the underlying network in place. Now they might start releasing phones with only LTE chip once VZW transfers voice off the 3G/1X network but again that is not going to be anytime soon. RIM and Apple both will have 4G/LTE phones out before that happens im sure
    05-03-11 11:15 AM
    RIM's smart by waiting another year before releasing an LTE device. Giving GSM providers HSPA+ 3.5G devices is far easier.AT&T and T-Mobile owners lucked out.Next year will Verizon's turn. The big question will be what happens with Sprint? Does RIM even bother make a WiMax 4G Bold?
    05-03-11 11:36 AM
    RIM's smart by waiting another year before releasing an LTE device. Giving GSM providers HSPA+ 3.5G devices is far easier.AT&T and T-Mobile owners lucked out.Next year will Verizon's turn. The big question will be what happens with Sprint? Does RIM even bother make a WiMax 4G Bold?
    Only if it's sprint exclusive, otherwise extremely unlikely... Even then WiMax battery life tends to be just as bad as LTE but with lower speeds, so...
    05-03-11 12:40 PM
    @ papped

I hope that is not always the case and that they will come out with WiMAX versions of phones. I mean they are coming out with a WiMAX version of the playbook so hopefully sprint and RIM have a good relationship. This is of course if sprint keeps WiMAX, in my opinion they should just switch over to LET so everyone is on the same tech.
    05-03-11 12:51 PM
    BB's don't need 4G LTE chipsets because it's not going to make email and notifications any faster. I mean sh!t, they can't even optimize their apps and web browsing for 3G, RIM wouldn't know what to do with 4G
    05-03-11 02:02 PM
    shimojunk is right, BUT when QNX phones come out hopefully this will be a different story!
    05-03-11 02:14 PM
    literally paying an extra 30$ a month for fractionally faster speeds.

On a cell phone. Ya okay unless LTE speeds were at the same price point as 3G then theres no contest.
    05-03-11 02:15 PM
    literally paying an extra 30$ a month for fractionally faster speeds.

On a cell phone. Ya okay unless LTE speeds were at the same price point as 3G then theres no contest.
    What? Who's paying $30 more for LTE?
    05-03-11 02:45 PM
    fractionally faster speeds.
    LTE/3G is a topheavy fraction.
    05-03-11 02:52 PM
    What? Who's paying $30 more for LTE?
    yeah... pretty sure its not 30 more. its actually nothing more. i just checked verizon and its the same 29.99 for 3G and LTE.
    05-03-11 03:05 PM
    yeah... pretty sure its not 30 more. its actually nothing more. i just checked verizon and its the same 29.99 for 3G and LTE.
    Exactly...
    05-03-11 03:43 PM
    So for the next 18 to 24 months TMO's and AT&T's HSPA+ networks will have data rates faster than Verizon's LTE network. Yes the LTE networks are capped or throttled right now. That's because of switch limitations, and hardware availability for components. Its going to be that way for the next two years. So running out and buying the cool new LTE device sounds great but power users like most people here will change devices three times at least in the next two years.

AT&T has begun their LTE buildout and is stating they'll be 90%+ complete coming out of 2013. That will mean that it will have to be as fast or faster than their HSPA+ speeds at that time which will be in excess of 42mbps, oh and that will likely be TMO's network as well since the merger will likely have closed and the vast majority of the integration work will have been completed by the close of 2013 as well.

PG
    05-03-11 06:22 PM
    AT&T didn't even support HSUPA+ until just recently... at all...
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-03-11 06:28 PM
    AT&T didn't even support HSUPA+ until just recently... at all...
    Agreed and the main reason they ended up supporting it was because of the availability of switch and cell site gear to support LTE. It made more sense to let Verizon be the guinea pig on LTE and work through the bugs with the hardware mfgs. UMTS networks like TMO's and AT&Ts have an upgrade path to greater speeds and as such didn't have to make the leap to LTE right away.

CDMA/EVDO carriers basically had to adopt LTE early. They are already behind the speed curve as those networks can't approach the 3G speeds of UMTS networks even before HSPA+.

PG
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-03-11 11:08 PM
    this is rim we are talking about. they take foooooooorever to incorporate new tech. just be glad that they have a 1.2 ghz processor and hspa+.

besides, very very few cities have lte currently. so its not sweat off my back
    Blacklatino likes this.
    05-04-11 12:43 AM
    Was just playing with the Droid Charge on Verizon's 4G network, I currently have a 3G device, and I can't wait for a (true) 4G Blackberry to come out. Granted the coverage isn't every where, but it would have still been amazing to have on the new Touch.
    05-19-11 11:19 AM
    Waiting is not a bad thing at this point for RIM after all I don't see Lord Jobs shoving 4G in his sacred I phone yet......
    05-19-11 12:01 PM
    I'd rather have a phone that made it through the day than one I have to charge constantly. Furthermore the 4g network is still a bit of a joke and the coverage is **** poor.

Waste of money if RIM put it in now.
    05-19-11 12:25 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD