Well, not as dramatic or poetic, but it is a 'grand' return of sorts for me. I do it to myself every year. I think that for some reason I will 'take' to the entertainment oriented devices like iPhone or Android. I have tried a plethora of top rated devices like iPhone4S, Motorola Droid RAZR, Galaxy S2 and S3, HTC ONE X, Galaxy Note, etc....

And time after time, I come back to a reliable device that just does what I want and need it to do:

1. make phone calls (anyone remember that? smart phones or whatever, to me, this is first and foremost a mobile phone. the BB has always delivered solid, clear, and reliable calls on my network (Telus or Rogers in Canada)
    2. email, texting, messenger....I need a QWERTY....can't get the hang of the touch keyboards no matter how long or how much I try...my double thumbing just comes too natural to me....long live the BB QWERTY...nobody does it better and the 9900 is 'la cr�me de la cr�me'
    3. speakerphone...BBs are good, in fact the best I believe...with the exception of earlier Motorola models, IMHO, nothing comes close...not iPhone, not Samsung, not LG, not Nokia, not HTC, etc...I've tried them all. This feature is important to me....

So I'm back. Lost for a while, but back. I hope I come back to a brand that comes alive again....for now I will enjoy my 9900, but I look forward to the first series of QWERTY OS 10 devices probably in Q3 2013?

Some people think I'm nuts. A few friends and even my son. All iPhone and Android worshippers. But I can out-text them all....zoom, zip, tap...voil�!

Anyone else leave and come back? What has your experience been?
    mweber67, gokulraj2471 and donemt like this.
    07-23-12 10:09 PM
    Left to go to the first generation of Galaxy S devices, the Captivate, two years ago. I loved the phone to death, and still do actually. I couldn't stand the switch from a physical to a software keyboard at first, but I eventually got used to it (although I never truly liked it). The customization on it was unbelievable though, and the audio DAC is first-class (I actually still use my Captivate as an audio player). Sadly, my phone began to die with buttons malfunctioning and battery life being almost nonexistent, so I had to switch phones. I had had enough with touchscreen keyboards and was ready to go back to the real deal, and I decided if I wanted physical keys, I wanted the best out there, and here I am now with a 9900. Don't regret the purchase at all, does what I want it to and does it well, which is all I could ever ask for.
    gokulraj2471 likes this.
    07-23-12 10:23 PM
    I returned after a 6-month hiatus and I love being back on a BlackBerry as my main device.

I'm the only one in my workplace using a BB & my coworkers like to make fun of me sometimes. (Although I still have devices with the fruit OS and the little green robot).

But they can't type out messages as quickly as I can & there is still nothing as satisfying as typing on a tactile keyboard.

My 9930 is keeping me happy until BB10 comes out & I'm happy to be "BlackBerry By Choice"!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-23-12 10:44 PM
    I've never left and don't plan to. My wife "upgraded" to galaxy sII skyrocket and I got the 9900. I have no regrets and am glad I got the 9900 every time I see her struggle to type out a message on that lame touchscreen keyboard. We both had been strictly blackberry until this last upgrade and I am hoping BB10 will bring her back.
    07-23-12 11:50 PM
    Nokia mono devices >> nokia symbian >> iOS >> BB
    07-23-12 11:56 PM
    haha anyone else remember panasonic or siemens wow it was just 10 years ago. look at now we are talking about hd screens quad core processors.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    07-24-12 12:19 AM
    haha anyone else remember panasonic or siemens wow it was just 10 years ago. look at now we are talking about hd screens quad core processors.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    oh yeah (slightly off topic) but....I had one of these....

Siemens MC60 - Full phone specifications

heck even one of the these....

Sony Ericsson T68i - Full phone specifications
    07-24-12 06:33 AM
    For all the reasons you have mentioned, I am also back as of yesterday. One other feature I have really missed is the ability to add a calendar event directly from email...no other phone can do that. As you can see below, I have tried them all, but always come back to BB...

Blackberry 9900 (again)
    HTC One XL
    Galaxy note
    iPhone 4s
    Blackberry 9900
    HTC Sensation
    Blackberry 9830
    Nexus S
    iPhone 4
    Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000M)
    HTC Legend
    Blackberry Tour
    Palm Pre
    HTC Touch Pro
    Blackberry Storm
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Blackberry Curve 8300
    Blackberry 8830 World Edition
    HTC PDA/Phone of some sort
    Last edited by rpritch; 07-24-12 at 07:46 PM. Reason: grammar
    07-24-12 07:16 AM
    My story is a back & forth between various BB's & every iPhone since the original model. Time & time again I've gotten sucked into the perceived coolness & entertainment capability of the iPhone...and the result has always been a gnawing inside that I'm basically wasting my life playing with a phone that is a TOY, instead of using something that actually improves my productivity & my life...which is the BlackBerry.

So...as of tomorrow I am trading a guy my month-old iPhone 4s for a new AT&T 9900. I'm actually losing money in the transaction just to come back where I know I should be. I'm going to immerse myself in all things BlackBerry so I will get all the benefits from the device that it offers.

I'm ready to be "undumbed" again by the BlackBerry.
    schlemer likes this.
    07-24-12 07:37 AM
    Never left, but got a little promiscuous - got myself a Samsung Galaxy Note some time ago - and as extra marital affairs go, it excited me for a while but everything kinda flat lined on the thrills front after a bit. Had a 9800 at that point but chucked that for a 9900, as a peace offering to myself for the promiscuity ! Now I use the BB for messaging (no other phone even comes close to being within a light year) and the SGN for all that other stuff.
    07-24-12 07:47 AM
    The way people talk, they will have you thinking Android and iPhone don't have issues.

Personally, I realize BB won't have a new model out every Xmas and there will be issues to over come when we get new devices released but I know I'm getting a device that is customizable and does what I need. Android seems more like a toy and Apple wanting to control every single aspect of my smartphone is just way to much to put up with.
    07-24-12 01:14 PM
    Think I've ditched 4 or 5 android phones and ended up back on BB each time...
    07-24-12 01:28 PM
    I'm back too, did the Iphone 4 for about 6 months but since I have a Ipad2 now my main game and video playing is on that. Have the Bold 9930 and love it, had the 9650 before that. There is NO better phone for Text, Email and voice. I'm not a big game player or video buff on my phones. I use my phone for communications and news and audio. Blackberry is the ticket.
    07-24-12 01:46 PM
    I use other platforms - I LOVE my Skyrocket and I'm lukewarm on iOS. I love the fun of new ways of doing things.

However....

I've got two personal lines. One ALWAYS has a BB on it and the other gets switched between the Skryrocket and my iphone 3GS (gave my 4S to a family member.)

I would NEVER give up my BB for as long as they exist and continue to do what I want them to do.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-25-12 at 04:08 AM.
    07-24-12 03:54 PM
    I went back and forth between the SG2/SG3, 9900 amd iPhone 4S. In the end after several 9900 units dies, I stick with iOS and the iPhone 4s. Work is too intensive to put up with a device that has a slow red blinking LED when you wake up, three times.

The iPhone just gets it done and I have never had it crash and die a horrible death.
    07-24-12 04:05 PM
    For all the reasons you have mentioned, I am also back as of yesterday. Once other feature I have really missed is the ability to add a calendar event directly from email...no other phone can do that. As you can see below, I try them all, but always come back to BB...

Blackberry 9900 (again)
    HTC One XL
    Galaxy note
    iPhone 4s
    Blackberry 9900
    HTC Sensation
    Blackberry 9830
    Nexus S
    iPhone 4
    HTC Legend
    Blackberry Tour
    Palm Pre
    HTC Touch Pro
    Blackberry Storm
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Blackberry Curve 8300

that's impressive and quite the coincidence that we are both back as of yesterday...interestingly enough, I have tried several of the devices on your list...
    07-24-12 06:58 PM
    I took a 9-month break from Blackberry, switching to an iPhone.

I will say, the iPhone had lots to offer- the best summation of the experience was that iPhone made everything "easier"- Finding directions via the iPhone's map application was super easy, and its integration with other things was seamless; my boyfriend is a hardcore iPerson (we literally have one (or more) of every Apple product in the house) so it was pretty cool to walk through the front door, and my music go from my headphones to the speakers in whatever room I was walking through, as well as being able to control various electronics from anywhere in the home. (But since going back to BlackBerry, boyfriend has made it possible to play music from my BB through the speakers, too!)

However, I missed a physical keyboard, and the overall "feeling" of a BlackBerry, so I came back, and not only do I not regret it, but I had some new surprises (loving the talking GPS on BB Traffic!)

Oddly enough, I've never been wowed by an Android phone Interested to read others' opinions

Oh, and hated iPhones Mailbox. One. Mailbox. Bleh.
    Last edited by bbstoof; 07-24-12 at 08:04 PM.
    footmatix and schlemer like this.
    07-24-12 07:59 PM
    Stayed with Crapple for about about a month, sorry thats a bit harsh some of their products aren't bad.

Missed the everyday use of by BB9900 and loving it, sometimes you have to lose something to see how much of an impact it has had on you.

Blackberry by Choice
    07-25-12 03:31 AM
    Very good for you op. I hope Blackberry keeps bringing people back. For me though I'm still on iPhone lets see what BB10 has to offer.
    07-25-12 03:47 AM
    Today is my last day using this iPhone I'm typing this...very slowly, with one thumb...on. I'll have my shiny, new 9900 in the mailbox by mid-afternoon.

Although I'm grieving a little seeing my iPhone go...I want to really give the BlackBerry another chance, and I'm determined to invest the time it takes to learn to appreciate it's functions fully.

Then...when Fall rolls around i can make an educated decision as whether to jump back on the iWagon with the new Apple iPhone offering...or simply stay put.

We'll see...
    footmatix likes this.
    07-25-12 07:56 AM
    I was gone for 5 months with a lumia 710 on t-mo and I just couldn't stay away from bb they are many things I love about bb and only these devices can do it! Windows phone was ok I like the different feel of it but my 9900 is just home to me and it makes sense! So happy I'm back! Oh and don't mind this iPod touch just use it for music and apps ha ha!

Sent from my iPod Touch (4th Generation) using Tapatalk
    07-25-12 11:50 AM
    07-25-12 12:21 PM
    Man. I'm so ready to give up this Galaxy S3. Can't wait until I get the 9900 in my hands.
    07-25-12 12:50 PM
    Man. I'm so ready to give up this Galaxy S3. Can't wait until I get the 9900 in my hands.
    Such a disappointment for me. It was very responsive but the 4.8 screen and device in general, was way too big for me. I even tried the Note a few months back and that's gigantic...not my cup of tea. The phone app was unreliable at times.

What disappoints me the most with these LG, HTC, and Samsung phones....they just feel so 'plasticky'....I'm a sucker for metal and glass..I do think the iPhone 4S has a fantastic design and build, however no QWERTY....

IMO the build quality of the 9900 is among the best...it has it all:

"Glass screen, soft touch rubber for better grip, metal to hold it solidly together, and back cover made of glass composite with carbon weave"
    07-25-12 10:50 PM
    For all the reasons you have mentioned, I am also back as of yesterday. One other feature I have really missed is the ability to add a calendar event directly from email...no other phone can do that. As you can see below, I have tried them all, but always come back to BB...

Blackberry 9900 (again)
    HTC One XL
    Galaxy note
    iPhone 4s
    Blackberry 9900
    HTC Sensation
    Blackberry 9830
    Nexus S
    iPhone 4
    HTC Legend
    Blackberry Tour
    Palm Pre
    HTC Touch Pro
    Blackberry Storm
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Blackberry Curve 8300
    Thats not true. I recently switched from a 9900 to a Galaxy s2 Skyrocket after being with BB for a looong time. The skyrocket does it automatically, my wife whom also switched said the skyrocket actually sync to outlook calendar without being connected to the pc. Anyway, i love the skyrocket, even more than the 9900. never thought i would say that. I love BB, quality phones etc, but they are about 3 years behind with their OS (remember this is MY opinion). yes it has a qwerty keyboard, yes it is easier to type, but i got used to the touch screen pretty quick, and i have big fingers. Next is the apps. I'm sorry but if you say apps dont matter then you should not have a smartphone. they do. I have downloaded many apps and actually used them, for my work etc... in my opinion android is just that much more user friendly. To win me back BB have to pull a HUGE one with BB10. Looking forward to it
    07-26-12 04:29 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD