Hey guys, I have recently picked up a Bold 9900 and love the device, except for one thing- the high gloss carbon look battery door.

I know I may be having a bit of a whinge, but from a practical point of view the gloss is really irritatng, as it doesn't stick to anything (unlike previous Bold's), main issue is it sitting on a car seat while driving.

I've had a look at a few sites around the place and can't seem to find anything- any ideas would be much appreciated.
    10-22-11 03:05 AM
    I think the gloss back looks amazing... when clean and not scratched. However, it is a bit more susceptible to scratching from things, and very susceptible to fingerprints. Therefore, I also would love to find a replacement battery door. One with perhaps a faux leather or textured back like previous Bolds.
    10-22-11 04:01 AM
    Just use a very fine sandpaper , with water ..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 04:29 AM
    Or you can try SGP/ZAGG leatherskin of iPhone and cut it yourself.
    It's easy

Instruction: Paste the Leatherskin on the backdoor, and use a cutter (Sharp one). Slowly cutting repeatedly to get best result. Don't hurt the backdoor
    Last edited by JBoen; 10-22-11 at 05:22 AM.
    10-22-11 05:16 AM
    It's easy

Instruction: Paste the Leatherskin on the backdoor, and use a cutter (Sharp one). Slowly cutting repeatedly to get best result. Don't hurt the backdoor
    This kind of looking nice.

I think I would buy such a backdoor if it would be on sell -> NFC is not important for me if I could get a cheaper door
    10-22-11 07:04 AM
    It's easy

very good thing
    10-22-11 12:12 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys- guess it may be something that would get a bit of traction if it was released by CNN or everythingBB or the like. Hope someone comes round to producing one soon.
    10-25-11 12:50 AM
    I ordered the Zagg Leather skin above, and I will let you all know how it goes. It was on sale on the Zagg site, just $9.99. You won't find an OEM battery door for that much, so it is worth a shot. The worst that happens? I pull the skin off and just use it as is.
    10-25-11 12:54 AM
    It's easy

Has the effects to the NFC been tested? Coming from 2 other bolds with leather backings, this looks AMAZING.

Which one did you get exactly? The grain on the 3GS or the iPhone 4/4S doesn't look the same :|
    Last edited by rcheung135; 10-25-11 at 05:59 AM.
    10-25-11 05:55 AM
    OOH...definitely gonna try this out....
    10-25-11 09:03 AM
    You may want to try Carbon Fiber Look Vinyl covering.
    mysticmeg and uci2ci like this.
    10-25-11 09:53 AM
    +1

Check out the BodyGuardz Armor - comes in a few colors and is pretty sweet.

http://shop.crackberry.com/bodyguard...medium=content
    10-25-11 11:47 AM
    It's easy

That looks absolutely amazing!
    10-25-11 01:41 PM
    Has the effects to the NFC been tested? Coming from 2 other bolds with leather backings, this looks AMAZING.

Which one did you get exactly? The grain on the 3GS or the iPhone 4/4S doesn't look the same :|
    Myself bought the iPhone leatherskin, but am 100% sure any leatherskin will be compatible as long as the size is LARGER than 9900 backdoor size. If you have 3 or 4 friends want to try it out, might wanna get the iPad version, and devide it into 4. It's only 19.90/4 = 4.975 lol just my 2 cents.
    10-26-11 12:24 AM
    Received mine yesterday, and installed today. Install was super easy. Used a brand new xacto blade and trimmed the excess skin off the door. Looks great. One problem though, and I need to be clear about this. The battery door is no longer flush with the device with this skin on. It now has a noticeable lip, at least 1/16" or more. When ordering, I thought that it would be a little slimmer, more like a decal. I was wrong. I am going to try it out with it on there, but I can see issues arising after some in and outs on my pants pocket. Have not tried it with any type of holster yet.

Last edited by Heavy Fluid; 10-31-11 at 12:17 AM.
    10-31-11 12:13 AM
    It's easy

Received mine yesterday, and installed today. Install was super easy. Used a brand new xacto blade and trimmed the excess skin off the door. Looks great. One problem though, and I need to be clear about this. The battery door is no longer flush with the device with this skin on. It now has a noticeable lip, at least 1/16" or more. When ordering, I thought that it would be a little slimmer, more like a decal. I was wrong. I am going to try it out with it on there, but I can see issues arising after some in and outs on my pants pocket. Have not tried it with any type of holster yet.

Click to view quoted image
    are both of those leather materials the same? they look different as far as texture goes.
    10-31-11 02:05 PM
    Nice battery door skins.

Since these skins are leather, it is very unlikely they will effect the functionality of the NFC.
    10-31-11 03:53 PM
    Click to view quoted imageYou may want to try Carbon Fiber Look Vinyl covering.
    is that the Bodyguardz battery cover?
    11-21-11 04:47 AM
    WOW!! Tried it myself with an SGP CF backing for the PB that I wasnt using.

Thanks for the tip guys

If your having an issue with edges being raised/sharp to the touch, get a fine nail file (I used a Tweezerman with six sided one) and Very gently and patiently file the edges of the skin down towards the battery door edges. Needless to say, don't let the file touch the battery door, just the skin. Wipe the edges clean to remove any debris. I used a Sharpie to color the edges of the skin too to better match the door. I'm very pleased with the results
    11-21-11 06:59 AM
    are both of those leather materials the same? they look different as far as texture goes.
    I got mine SGP
    Last edited by JBoen; 11-23-11 at 04:12 AM.
    11-23-11 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD