Hey everybody,

finally switched carriers and am using a Blackberry Bold 9900 that I got on the cheap. I couldn't stand the wait until BB10 with just a Dev Alpha after all

I have begun "setting it up", having already connected email accounts and bought an Otterbox. What I'd like to know, as there was no sticky and I couldn't really find any threads, is what are the recommended actions for a new Blackberry user? Any particularly handy apps, accessories (considering getting a Playbook for Bridge, since they're currently $130 for 16GB BNIB here in Canada) ya'll have experience with?

Oh, and if you have any ideas for simple utilities etc you are interested in having for BB10, let me know and I can maybe try my hand at some on the side for practice (no promises though).
    09-09-12 07:18 PM
    I own both a 9900 and a PB. Bridge is great, allows you to use your PB without the need to subscribe to a tethering plan. That said, not every app works over Bridge. Email and web work just fine over Bridge which is what most users do 95% of the time anyway.

I'm on TMo and recently changed plans so I have tethering included. Bridge is no longer the value it once was, except for the ability to get my 9900 email, BBM, contacts, etc. on my PB.

As far as apps are concerned, my favs are:

BeWeather (I got free from RIM during a promo)
    Bridge
    Blackberry News
    Blackberry Protect
    Blackberry Travel
    Blackberry Traffic
    Google Maps
    Bing
    Pandora (who doesn't love Pandora)
    Photo Editor Ultimate (I got free from RIM during a promo)
    Screen Muncher (I got free from RIM during a promo)
    Shazam Encore (I got free from RIM during a promo)
    09-09-12 07:36 PM
    Hey everybody,

finally switched carriers and am using a Blackberry Bold 9900 that I got on the cheap. I couldn't stand the wait until BB10 with just a Dev Alpha after all

I have begun "setting it up", having already connected email accounts and bought an Otterbox. What I'd like to know, as there was no sticky and I couldn't really find any threads, is what are the recommended actions for a new Blackberry user? Any particularly handy apps, accessories (considering getting a Playbook for Bridge, since they're currently $130 for 16GB BNIB here in Canada) ya'll have experience with?

Oh, and if you have any ideas for simple utilities etc you are interested in having for BB10, let me know and I can maybe try my hand at some on the side for practice (no promises though).

Well first of all welcome to the Best BlackBerry! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Make sure you have the latest OS installed because it really makes a difference in the performance and battery life. I just installed the leaked OS 7.1.0.649 which is working very well for me.

A really cool app is "Advance OS and LED" It gives you all the tools a BB should have. Flashlight, screen shot cool stuff like that. And you can also set LED color notifications for contacts and apps. And it's free!! And of course you got to get the "CrackBerry Forums" app! There are a lot of cool apps. I have over 50 installed on my 9930. Let me know if you want to know more.

And I have the charging pod for my 9930 which is cool because it's like a clock at night you can see. And also by having the charging pod, it saves you from wearing out your usb slot. I recommend getting the charging pod.
    09-09-12 07:40 PM
    Blackberry Protect is a must. You'll like Advance OS & LED too.

+1 on the charging dock.
    09-09-12 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD