To be clear the FedEx seal WAS NOT broken...however the seal on the box was clearly cut on one end and the other end was removed than stuck back on...

I have not touched the phone...everything else was in its original packaging...however the battery wasn't packaged in anything...not sure if they normally are or not...

Should I just try to activate the phone, or do you think I should try and get a new one?

More aggravating to me if there wasn't a proper reason for breaking the factory seal...

Pictures:

Maybe they were updating the software?
    Last edited by TheVetteMan; 08-23-11 at 09:43 AM.
    08-23-11 09:41 AM
    Report it.

Or if it is activated then don't because it was necessary.
    08-23-11 09:44 AM
    Did you call up the carrier?

What OS version came on the phone based on the box.

If nothing is damaged, I would not worry to much about it.
    08-23-11 09:45 AM
    mine from the Uk came opened from one end the other was stuck down. i just assumed it was the shop staff placing the sim card in the box as it was a non branded model. mines been fine!
    08-23-11 09:46 AM
    Hmm I would say that if the stickers were not attached AT ALL then there should be a problem BUT since they were attached and then broken there could be issues.

It is possible that FedEx, Verizon or whoever the distributor/shipper/packager is packaged everything up and forgot to put something else in the box.
    08-23-11 09:46 AM
    Did you call up the carrier?

What OS version came on the phone based on the box.

If nothing is damaged, I would not worry to much about it.
    Literally just came inside with it...

Box says Version 7.0.0.254
    08-23-11 09:47 AM
    Mine was the same way. I assumed it was a software update.
    08-23-11 09:50 AM
    I'm not meaning to nit pick, I just don't want to be hassled by Verizon if something were actually wrong with it and I activated it knowing the seal was broken.
    JUSTQUAN2 likes this.
    08-23-11 09:50 AM
    It looks like it was opened / used. I'd call Verizon and let them know.
    08-23-11 09:59 AM
    I'd bring it to a Verizon store just as is and let them activate it there for you. That way if there are any issues upon activation they can see it for themselves.
    08-23-11 10:01 AM
    My 9650 came that way; the OS was updated prior to shipping. I had no trouble with it.
    08-23-11 10:05 AM
    My 9650 came that way; the OS was updated prior to shipping. I had no trouble with it.
    I had my 9650 from sprint come with stickers locked.

It was around November when I got it.

But I didn't have mine activated or anything.

Was yours?
    08-23-11 10:06 AM
    It looks like it was opened / used. I'd call Verizon and let them know.
    Same thing happened with my wife's "new" car. Someone else had opened the door and we returned it and got another one.
    funnykindel and BMizracha like this.
    08-23-11 10:15 AM
    Mine was opened as well, seal was broken but a new one was placed over it. I think it was just for an OS update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 10:17 AM
    I would be skeptical of any new device with broken packaging seals. Not that the device might not be 100%, but it's sealed for a reason - for your protection. Just like tylenol.

And the battery not being in any packaging would confirm for me that I would head straight to a corporate store for an exchange.
    08-23-11 10:20 AM
    My 9900 from o2 UK was fully sealed and came with .296

It looks like that has been opened and used.
    08-23-11 10:25 AM
    ...it's sealed for a reason - for your protection. Just like tylenol...
    great anaolgy
    08-23-11 10:28 AM
    Just like like Tylenol.
    Bad example. No one died (at least to my knowledge) from using a cell phone where the package was opened.

Its pretty obvious that RIM or the carrier did an OS update and in their haste to get them all done didn't seal the boxes.
    08-23-11 10:31 AM
    Mine was opened as well, seal was broken but a new one was placed over it.
    This was exactly the same as mine...it had obviously been opened at some point and then a new seal placed over the top.
    08-23-11 10:33 AM
    Bad example. No one died (at least to my knowledge) from using a cell phone where the package was opened.

Its pretty obvious that RIM or the carrier did an OS update and in their haste to get them all done didn't seal the boxes.
    How about maxipads? Those are sealed, and I don't think anyone has ever died from using one. They are sealed so you know no one has ever used it before. Would a woman use one that's not sealed? Nope.
    08-23-11 10:34 AM

That's not obvious at all. What about the battery not being in any packaging? That's a huge red flag. Exchange it and you won't have to worry.
    08-23-11 10:35 AM
    Same thing happened with my wife's "new" car. Someone else had opened the door and we returned it and got another one.
    Lol. This was too funny. I spewed milk on my morning paper.
    08-23-11 10:37 AM
    Lol. This was too funny. I spewed milk on my morning paper.
    Morning? Nearly 5pm here
    08-23-11 10:43 AM
    845 am here in oregon
    08-23-11 10:44 AM
    That's not obvious at all. What about the battery not being in any packaging? That's a huge red flag. Exchange it and you won't have to worry.
    What is there to worry about?

LOL, yeah that was a stupid example.
    08-23-11 10:46 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD