There are reports that there is a software error with the release build of the OS in the UK, on the 9900's. Carphone Warehouse is now delaying the release by a week because of a "software error", and from what I hear, so too is Orange. I haven't seen any official statements about this from RIM, Carphone Warehouse or anyone else yet. Are there any that I just haven't seen? These reports mostly come from anecdotes of customer service calls, so far.

There's already a thread for UK release dates, so that's not what I want to discuss here.

What I want to know, is what the nature of this supposed error is? For those who have already received their handsets, is there anything you've encountered that would justify a recall/delay like this, in your opinion?

Edit: For those who are prone to skimming the original post, without paying attention to detail, and ignoring subsequent ones, I add clarification at the beginning of this thread as an appendix to the OP: The purpose of this post was not to state that there IS a recall, or to state that the delays are due to a software error, as a matter of fact. The above post takes a sceptical tone, notes the lack of evidence, and attempts to verify or debunk such rumours. It was an attempt to ascertain whether there was official verification of this, or even circumstancial evidence in the field. In subsequent posts, I have expressed my scepticism and went so far as to state that I consider this matter closed, and that there is nothing in it. The replies given by some have validated my initial scepticism, which would not have occurred without this thread. So I consider it a justified contribution for all those who were told today that their deliveries were delayed as a result of a "software error" by vendors on the phone.
    Last edited by Whyareallthegoodnamestaken; 08-19-11 at 11:15 AM.
    08-19-11 08:11 AM
    At this point excuses just sound like excuses you know. Haven't heard much on this really.
    08-19-11 08:13 AM
    i have had a handset for 2 days so far no issues i am told that vodafone have it to them self's for 1 mth not sure if that is true
    08-19-11 08:14 AM
    Yeah I'm starting to get the impression that this is to cover up supply problems caused by Vodafone's meddling. But that's pure speculation on my part. I mostly just want to know if anyone's encountered any errors that just might justify such an excuse? I'm willing to bet there aren't any, but I'd rather ask than assume.
    08-19-11 08:21 AM
    i listed the issues i found it another post. - my 9900 is working fine.

I've just checked with my Contact @ VodaFail Corporate, and they havent seen anything on Vodafail's Intranet
    08-19-11 08:30 AM
    As far as I know its only Orange UK thats holding the 9900 back due to testing problems (theres an Orange employee on Overclockers UK forum thats confirmed this), as for others delaying the 9900 its down to supply issues from all that I've seen and heard, even Vodafone direct had 'Low stock' warnings on their webby yesterday, its gone today so I guess they've had the lions share of deliveries!
    08-19-11 08:38 AM
    As far as I know its only Orange UK thats holding the 9900 back due to testing problems (theres an Orange employee on Overclockers UK forum thats confirmed this), as for others delaying the 9900 its down to supply issues from all that I've seen and heard, even Vodafone direct had 'Low stock' warnings on their webby yesterday, its gone today so I guess they've had the lions share of deliveries!
    Typical *sigh* My 8900 bricked 2 weeks ago and I'm stuck with this Android ridden Motorola Flipout until my 9900. So as you might imagine, I'm chomping at the bit.
    08-19-11 08:44 AM
    It's just excuses for stock problems, there are no issues with the handsets themselves.
    08-19-11 08:45 AM
    Typical *sigh* My 8900 bricked 2 weeks ago and I'm stuck with this Android ridden Motorola Flipout until my 9900. So as you might imagine, I'm chomping at the bit.
    Do you have to stay with Orange? or do you get a really good deal? Blackberries and Vodafone have been great for me in the last few years (and VF don't charge for delivery reports either )
    08-19-11 08:48 AM
    Do you have to stay with Orange? or do you get a really good deal? Blackberries and Vodafone have been great for me in the last few years (and VF don't charge for delivery reports either )
    I get a great deal because my mum's giving me her upgrade lol. She's just giving me the handset (she bought an unlocked phone a few months back from Amazon). I haven't got the credit rating for a new contract, or an impending upgrade of my own. I really am stuck, but as it's totally free for me I can't really complain too much I suppose. I just hate this bloody Android phone. I'm having BB withdrawal.

However, now I'm being told I'll receive it Monday. But I won't hold my breath. After seeinng the replies here, I think this software error thing really is just BS, and I'll abandon this thread and carry on in the uk release dates one. Thanks to those who replied.
    08-19-11 09:07 AM
    08-19-11 09:08 AM
    Possible. But Monday is a quick turnaround...I remain unconvinced. Thanks though.
    08-19-11 09:15 AM
    I've been saying for a while that the Orange variant hasn't been released from carrier testing.

And officially + unofficially there is NO exclusive Vodafone deal in the UK, whether or not the network got priority because they buy so many of the things across the globe is one thing, but having an exclusivity deal is just plain tosh.

It doesn't exist, simple. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    08-19-11 09:50 AM
    There are reports that there is a software error with the release build of the OS in the UK, on the 9900's.
    Sources?

08-19-11 09:53 AM
    Carphone warehouse now selling them online, sim-free:
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 - The Carphone Warehouse
    sn05py likes this.
    08-19-11 09:57 AM
    Sources?

Anecdotal. People have been told this by various outlets and carriers when they've phoned in. The purpose of this thread is to ascertain if there are any press releases to confirm this, or any user experiences to confirm this.
    08-19-11 09:57 AM
    Carphone warehouse now selling them online, sim-free:
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 - The Carphone Warehouse
    Yes...quite a quick turnaround for a supposed software error that would justify a recall or delay. I really don't think there's anything to it. I suspect it was just an excuse.
    08-19-11 09:59 AM
    There are reports that there is a software error with the release build of the OS in the UK, on the 9900's.
    Nothing internally about an official recall or even unofficial. So stop spreading rumors please
    08-19-11 10:21 AM
    Let me guess, were these places that didn't have stock?

I have been running one since last Friday, contact phone from Vodafone, and it's has been absolutely fine and 100% stable.
    08-19-11 10:38 AM
    move from orange its them thats holding it up i was with them now vodafone
    08-19-11 10:46 AM
    Nothing internally about an official recall or even unofficial. So stop spreading rumors please
    Excuse me? I did in fact say that, both in the original post and in my various replies. I'm not spreading rumours, I'm doing the opposite actually. I'm trying to verify or debunk them. I said there was nothing official about this and that there are only anecdotes (read: rumours). The purpose of this thread was to ask for anything official that anyone has seen, or for user experiences that may corroborate what is thus far unofficial. I have since stated several times that I unconvinced by these rumours due to lack of evidence. So you stop, with the baseless accusations, please. Anyone who actually read the OP properly would not have come to the same conclusion as you regarding my intentions.
    Last edited by Whyareallthegoodnamestaken; 08-19-11 at 10:54 AM.
    08-19-11 10:50 AM
    There are no significant software errors with the phone, certainly nothing that would cause a product recall.
    08-19-11 11:57 AM
    There are no significant software errors with the phone, certainly nothing that would cause a product recall.
    Indeed. I consider this matter closed.
    08-19-11 01:52 PM
    I've been saying for a while that the Orange variant hasn't been released from carrier testing.

And officially + unofficially there is NO exclusive Vodafone deal in the UK, whether or not the network got priority because they buy so many of the things across the globe is one thing, but having an exclusivity deal is just plain tosh.

It doesn't exist, simple. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    Any idea what the hold up with Orange testing is DM?
    08-19-11 02:06 PM
    Had mine for a week now on vodauk and not had any problems. Its been solid. I think after a week my android device had crashed a dozen times!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 02:55 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD