I have also heard of a priority / exclusivity for Vodafone initially.

Bear in mind that a lot of handset development is done by networks / carriers and those that are more willing to test new phones to death will be the ones that get them earlier!

Also that Vodafone do push BlackBerry stuff a huge amount in the UK so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of deal going on.
    08-20-11 11:43 AM
    I have had serious issues with this phone - i had it for 2 weeks and the damn thing up and died all of a sudden, even the charging light doesnt come on - in my opinion a battery problem. I guess the OS could affect this though so possibly as OP states.

RIM why put such a small battery in your most advanced phone yet?

I have also talked to vodafone who say they have no stock to exchange even! phones4u told me that they were being recalled!

Someone help me!!!!!

btw all you need to search for on google is "9900 wont turn on" and youll get the jist of it.
    10-03-11 01:54 PM
    I have also talked to vodafone who say they have no stock to exchange even! phones4u told me that they were being recalled!
    Sorry to hear about your isolated incident, that is obviously battery related and not OS related.

Also, Phones4U were talking bollocks if they told you that. There is no 9900 recall... end of!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 03:17 PM
    when I spoke to someone from orange today they said there was a problem with the playbook bridge preventing emails from getting through, though he did say that the release was imminent
    10-03-11 03:47 PM
    I spoke to T-Mobile here in UK few weeks back, and they said reason they've been delayed releasing it was due to a battery problem. They said they got recalled but having spoke to them again last week, they said they should now be releasing them tomorrow (4th Oct), so I'm assuming the issues been corrected whether its with the batteries or with the OS
    10-03-11 03:52 PM
    As far as I know its only Orange UK thats holding the 9900 back due to testing problems (theres an Orange employee on Overclockers UK forum thats confirmed this), as for others delaying the 9900 its down to supply issues from all that I've seen and heard, even Vodafone direct had 'Low stock' warnings on their webby yesterday, its gone today so I guess they've had the lions share of deliveries!
    Orange are testing the NFC software which is why they have delayed their release. I wanted to stay with Orange so went to P4U the other day. Got my upgrade from them. Wiped phone and put latest OS on it. Absolutely no issues using it, apart from the lack of the NFC just now until Orange get their app working.

10-03-11 04:09 PM
    As for battery life. Just buy a spare one. I have just in case. Although I have been getting a full day out of it just now.

10-03-11 04:13 PM
    I've been saying for a while that the Orange variant hasn't been released from carrier testing.

And officially + unofficially there is NO exclusive Vodafone deal in the UK, whether or not the network got priority because they buy so many of the things across the globe is one thing, but having an exclusivity deal is just plain tosh.

It doesn't exist, simple. Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    HI Dangermouse, can you let me know when o2 are going to release an os update eg: 3.53 for the 9900? I am haviing a few slight issues and want to update from 293 but really want to wait for my carriers approval. Mnany thanks, M

10-03-11 05:32 PM
    For the record, there are no recall issues within the UK. I work in Carphone Warehouse and know the NI rep quite well and he said that was the first he heard of it, we did take it off Orange at the start due to not all features being supported i.e. UMA & NFC but it should be available on Orange contracts now as hopefully the features will be implemented with a software release in the coming few months.

We have sold about 40 of them so far as well and the only issue we have seen is the battery life is crap, but this can be helped by connecting to WiFi and turning NFC & Bluetooth off!

As soon as I hear 100% confirmation, I will post a thread, not just speculation or rumors...
    antony99 likes this.
    10-03-11 05:41 PM
    HI Dangermouse, can you let me know when o2 are going to release an os update eg: 3.53 for the 9900? I am haviing a few slight issues and want to update from 293 but really want to wait for my carriers approval. Mnany thanks, M
    DM works for Vodafone.

There is no guarantee the O2 will ever officially release .353, in fact if they were going to they would have done so by now.

I doubt any UK network will release .353 as it only offered minor bug fixes over the stock .296 OS. They'll probably go with one of the .4xx builds.

10-03-11 05:49 PM
    DM works for Vodafone.

There is no guarantee the O2 will ever officially release .353, in fact if they were going to they would have done so by now.

I doubt any UK network will release .353 as it only offered minor bug fixes over the stock .296 OS. They'll probably go with one of the .4xx builds.

Hi Phil,
    Really appreciate that, I will then stop searching daily for a update.
    I have a 9900 which is amazing BUT it sometimes just reboots for no reason and when I turnm it off and it starts to pwer down and I then want to stop that so I press any key to rewake it can just freeze so have to battery pull. I have NOT eeven fully activated it yet, not even done a device swop so there is nothing installed on it, only my wep key to get wi-fi. Just thought that this 353 build might fix the odd reboot issue. Phil, can you let me know if your signal on your 9900 is fab and had any reboot issues? All the very best. M

10-04-11 01:59 AM
    Hi Phil,
    I have a 9900 which is amazing BUT it sometimes just reboots for no reason and when I turnm it off and it starts to pwer down and I then want to stop that so I press any key to rewake it can just freeze so have to battery pull. I have NOT eeven fully activated it yet, not even done a device swop so there is nothing installed on it, only my wep key to get wi-fi. Just thought that this 353 build might fix the odd reboot issue. Phil, can you let me know if your signal on your 9900 is fab and had any reboot issues? All the very best. M
    No idea what your reboot issue is, especially if you haven't loaded any apps on it yet.

I only used .296 for a few hours and couldn't stand the over-sensitive trackpad/lower screen in the browser bug, that kept randomly opening links. I immediately updated to .353 which had fixed that particular bug, and haven't had any problems with it since.

I'm on Vodafone and haven't had any issues with signal reception using .353, always full bars of 3G where I am.

10-04-11 07:43 AM
    No idea what your reboot issue is, especially if you haven't loaded any apps on it yet.

I only used .296 for a few hours and couldn't stand the over-sensitive trackpad/lower screen in the browser bug, that kept randomly opening links. I immediately updated to .353 which had fixed that particular bug, and haven't had any problems with it since.

I'm on Vodafone and haven't had any issues with signal reception using .353, always full bars of 3G where I am.

Same with mine...i had 296 on my unbranded sim free 9900 but ended up wiping it and putting 353 on it which is much better i find.

On tmobile myself and get full bars and 3G reception around my home and most places in and around London i go.
    10-04-11 07:58 AM
    Hi Phil,

I'm on O2 UK and can tell you that you can safely upgrade your OS to the leaked .353. I did it about 2 weeks after getting my 9900 from them after poor battery life, and havent looked back since.
    10-04-11 08:51 AM
    I'm on O2 UK and can tell you that you can safely upgrade your OS to the leaked .353. I did it about 2 weeks after getting my 9900 from them after poor battery life, and havent looked back since.

Fab! Can you please let me know how to do the delete venor thing which I believe I have to do, can you please let me know where you got the exact 353 for your o2 one and will do the same right away. Many thnaks in advance.
    Will do that as soon as I hear back from you.
    All the very best,
    Magician
    10-04-11 09:04 AM
    I was enquiring about the 9900 at a Vodafone store on Sunday and the salesman told me that stocks of the 9900 were being recalled by RIM due to software and battery problems.
    Hope they sort it soon because I want one but only if it works. Definitely holding back on my upgrade for a while.
    10-18-11 12:47 PM
    I was enquiring about the 9900 at a Vodafone store on Sunday and the salesman told me that stocks of the 9900 were being recalled by RIM due to software and battery problems.
    Hope they sort it soon because I want one but only if it works. Definitely holding back on my upgrade for a while.
    Yup... further proof that reps know bugger all!
    10-18-11 12:48 PM
    There are reports that there is a software error with the release build of the OS in the UK, on the 9900's. Carphone Warehouse is now delaying the release by a week because of a "software error", and from what I hear, so too is Orange. I haven't seen any official statements about this from RIM, Carphone Warehouse or anyone else yet. Are there any that I just haven't seen? These reports mostly come from anecdotes of customer service calls, so far.

There's already a thread for UK release dates, so that's not what I want to discuss here.

What I want to know, is what the nature of this supposed error is? For those who have already received their handsets, is there anything you've encountered that would justify a recall/delay like this, in your opinion?

Edit: For those who are prone to skimming the original post, without paying attention to detail, and ignoring subsequent ones, I add clarification at the beginning of this thread as an appendix to the OP: The purpose of this post was not to state that there IS a recall, or to state that the delays are due to a software error, as a matter of fact. The above post takes a sceptical tone, notes the lack of evidence, and attempts to verify or debunk such rumours. It was an attempt to ascertain whether there was official verification of this, or even circumstancial evidence in the field. In subsequent posts, I have expressed my scepticism and went so far as to state that I consider this matter closed, and that there is nothing in it. The replies given by some have validated my initial scepticism, which would not have occurred without this thread. So I consider it a justified contribution for all those who were told today that their deliveries were delayed as a result of a "software error" by vendors on the phone.
    I do not know where you're getting this sources because they are absolutely not true at all.
    I can confirm that no recalls have been reiceved or whatsoever, I am on Vodafone IT and UK had said nothing at all also regarding 9900.

Plus I am a proud owner of a second 9900(FIRST GOT LOST) which has been loaded up this morning with .440 and is running heavy!!!

Please could you give us a clue of where or whose your source
    10-18-11 02:46 PM
    I do not know where you're getting this sources because they are absolutely not true at all.
    It's just BS rumours and misinformation Albert... ignore it
    10-18-11 02:52 PM
    Yes, but there are floods of users with 9900's that brick themselves overnight - there is no doubt that the 9900 has some sort of serious problem!
    10-18-11 03:42 PM
    I bet they wouldn't be "bricking" if people weren't dicking with them.
    10-18-11 03:46 PM
    I bet they wouldn't be "bricking" if people weren't dicking with them.
    haha, well - you could be right about that - and whilst it appears that the majority of bricked phones were updated... not all seem to have been, although it is difficult to gauge how accurate all the information is.
    10-18-11 03:49 PM
    It isn't accurate at all. There's your clue...
    10-18-11 04:19 PM
    My first 9900 bricked within a week of owning it. It had never even been connected to a computer so no, it had not been dicked about with
    10-18-11 04:33 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD