Hi there, I'm new to this so please bear with me! My boyfriend got me the 9900 on contract with vodafone for Xmas and I am extremely happy with it. I have been reading the crackberry forums and there is a lot of people upgrading os to 5.40 etc. Firstly is it really worth it? I have read many threads of people upgrading then encountering problems? Surely some things are best left alone? I don't want to fix something that isn't broken, but on the other hand I don't want to be missing out on anything. Please could some of you lovely Crackberries list the pros and cons of uograding and also the best upgrade. Pleade please could someone help me as I am a non technical woman after all! Spank yoy very muchly!!
    01-03-12 03:17 PM
    Ill be honest, I'm on Stock OS, version 261 and i can have up to 2 days of battery. So I'm fine with that. I think most people moves to newer OS because of battery life, but with mine, I haven't had any issues with my stock os.

My 2 cent
    01-03-12 03:20 PM
    i'm on .590 and don't have any problems. i've been on it since day one so i don't have much to compare it to but it's my experience that it's always been good to have the latest OS installed for me. but OS upgrades are less important with OS7 devices in my opinion since it works really well.

if you notice any bugs or problems then i'd say upgrade the OS, if not then it's not too big of a deal.
    01-03-12 03:20 PM
    Your a non-technical woman, yet you got a business-mans technologically advanced international phone?

blackberry, in MY experience, is always going forward in their updates.
    01-03-12 03:21 PM
    I am a non technical woman but I DO run 2 of my own businesses, hence the phone!
    01-03-12 03:31 PM
    Thankyoy very much, my thoughts exactly, I'm doing fine on this and my battery life is fine too. Thankyou for your 2 pence!
    01-03-12 03:33 PM
    Ah. Now that makes sense. Welcome to the last phone you will ever want to buy.

When I upgraded to the new .590 OS, I got MUCH better 4g signal, the ability to stream videos efforlessly, better battery life, and a few other things but those are the biggest.

This was verified in many ways. Namely, now I get full blast 4g signal while laying in bed. I can stream youtube videos with the phone sitting on the ironing board while ironing clothes, and there wont be ONE hiccup in performance. And lastly, I can go all day with calling clients, emailing, texting, and using 4g/wifi internet and still have 30-50% remaining battery at the end of the day.
    01-03-12 03:33 PM
    You do your own ironing??! Just kidding. Thank you for the advice, just one more question, how do I upgrade if I wish to and where do I find the info to do so? Your help is most appreciated.
    01-03-12 03:38 PM
    01-03-12 03:43 PM
    Thankyoy very much, I am still in 2 minds whether to do it, but now I know how to should I wish to take the leap!
    01-03-12 03:52 PM
    I'm also on 590 and I thought it was great!
    01-03-12 03:54 PM
    Your a non-technical woman, yet you got a business-mans technologically advanced international phone?

blackberry, in MY experience, is always going forward in their updates.
    I have to remember that, "a business-mans (lol) technologically advanced international phone"
    I had no idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-12 04:01 PM
    My thoughts exactly BGK!!!!
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    01-03-12 04:03 PM
    Thankyoy very much, I am still in 2 minds whether to do it, but now I know how to should I wish to take the leap!
    I upgraded and really I can't see much difference besides it being slightly faster and the phone doesn't freeze the way it used to. Of course that could be a big deal to someone else.

01-03-12 04:04 PM
    i seen better performance going to .540 as well. i think some people are weary of upgrading due to all the theories of what the problem is with there phone. often we hear in these forums of issues that most likely was not related to the os upgrade. i know there have been issues but really not that many. new software builds are for improvements the majority of the time so i normally go for it. sometimes not upgrading only due to the fact i might not be that excited about what improvement is built in.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    01-03-12 04:15 PM
    I always like to keep my OS's up tp date. I was happy and content with .374 but I didn't see any negative things about 7.1 so I jumped on it.

There are times though when a new OS doesn't work out though. Just gotta keep your eye on these threads and see what others are experiencing.
    01-03-12 04:34 PM
    You do your own ironing??! Just kidding. Thank you for the advice, just one more question, how do I upgrade if I wish to and where do I find the info to do so? Your help is most appreciated.
    Sadly, yes. I'm not the greatest, but I'm also cheap and refuse to pay a shop to do it. The only time I take my clothes in are once every 2-3mos after the pleats have disappeared and I cannot bring them back in. I get irritated and annoyed, so I have the dry cleaners do it at that point.

In your BlackBerry Desktop Manager it should automatically bring up that you need an update.

I have to remember that, "a business-mans (lol) technologically advanced international phone"
    I had no idea.

Thats what the Bold series of phones are made for... a professional looking, professional feeling phone that does everything a businessman would need 'in the business', as well as chipsets that allow the phone to be utilized anywhere in the world in the event that the 'businessman' needs to travel to a foreign country. They use more expensive parts, are laid out more professionally, and contain features that people in Corporate America rely on, minus all the foo-foo fluff bs that other phones such as iPhones and Droids possess.

I can draw-up a spreadsheet on my Blackberry, for crying out loud!

i seen better performance going to .540 as well. i think some people are weary of upgrading due to all the theories of what the problem is with there phone. often we hear in these forums of issues that most likely was not related to the os upgrade. i know there have been issues but really not that many. new software builds are for improvements the majority of the time so i normally go for it. sometimes not upgrading only due to the fact i might not be that excited about what improvement is built in.
    Of all of the blackberries I've had, I've never once not seen a noticeable improvement somewhere on my phone by doing updates. Just like computers; you dont want to be running 3 year old software and OS's w/out any updates to bring them present, do you? Smartphones are computers, and need to be maintained, updated, and taken care of.
    01-03-12 05:36 PM
    Sadly, yes. I'm not the greatest, but I'm also cheap and refuse to pay a shop to do it. The only time I take my clothes in are once every 2-3mos after the pleats have disappeared and I cannot bring them back in. I get irritated and annoyed, so I have the dry cleaners do it at that point.

In your BlackBerry Desktop Manager it should automatically bring up that you need an update.

Thats what the Bold series of phones are made for... a professional looking, professional feeling phone that does everything a businessman would need 'in the business', as well as chipsets that allow the phone to be utilized anywhere in the world in the event that the 'businessman' needs to travel to a foreign country. They use more expensive parts, are laid out more professionally, and contain features that people in Corporate America rely on, minus all the foo-foo fluff bs that other phones such as iPhones and Droids possess.

Of all of the blackberries I've had, I've never once not seen a noticeable improvement somewhere on my phone by doing updates. Just like computers; you dont want to be running 3 year old software and OS's w/out any updates to bring them present, do you? Smartphones are computers, and need to be maintained, updated, and taken care of.
    Lol ...... seriously I was only poking fun at your term of "businessmans phone" being as how there are so many "business people" out there in the world but it's only words. I felt quite the same way about my 9700 in as far as having the ability to create spreadsheets and the calendar, love it too. I would have loved to have had my 9700 back in the 70's.

01-03-12 06:54 PM
    Oh I thought you were being an a-hole lol.

Ya I bet. If Big Blue had access to a Bold 9900 back in the 70's, just imagine where they'd be now
    01-03-12 07:30 PM

im not sure i understand your response to what i stated? i didnt ask any questions or state something incorrectly i dont think. maybe BGK ruffled somefeathers or something.
    01-03-12 08:02 PM
    No I was more calm in writing your response I was merely stating that bberies *always* respond well to OS updates In my experience with them

vedwardsiii likes this.
    01-03-12 09:04 PM
    No I was more calm in writing your response I was merely stating that bberies *always* respond well to OS updates In my experience with them

roger that, i agree with what your saying.
    01-03-12 09:08 PM
    If you are on .261 that not so bad. However, any stock OS other than .261 sucks.
    I recommend you upgrade, you will see soeed bumps here and there overall. Your browser is going to be a lot faster. And memory leak will be minimal.
    01-03-12 11:11 PM
    Okay thankyou, last question, how do I know what os I'm on right now??!
    01-04-12 03:30 AM
    Okay thankyou, last question, how do I know what os I'm on right now??!
    Alt + Right Shift + H

3rd line down... App Version
    01-04-12 04:34 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD