being on EDGE wont be a solution for many people. I hope results for everyone else are much better than yours
    Yup. Bell/Telus users will be stuck on 3G so if battery life is flat out terrible, that's not good for us users who are on Bell/Telus. I'm going to be looking out for threads on battery life, not going to make the same mistake and jump on a product, got burned with the 9780 and the stupid keyboard.
    08-10-11 02:36 PM
    curently, i guess we use what comes officially and then subsequent updates will follow soon...
    maybe we can work on some hybrid OS.
    Any updates sofar, Hypermaster?
    08-10-11 09:54 PM
    yes, cause this is what i noticed..
    .100 - bad battery life.
    .176 - supurb battery life.
    .303 - bad battery life. (Also i think this was an unsigned OS)
    maybe you should try to create a benchmark for 3G using the .176 OS now that you have your 3G plan activated just the way you have done for EDGE

that way, when you move on to another OS, you can know if the prob is the OS as opposed to your device working extra hard to maintain your 3G connection
    08-11-11 04:42 AM
    Yup. Bell/Telus users will be stuck on 3G so if battery life is flat out terrible, that's not good for us users who are on Bell/Telus. I'm going to be looking out for threads on battery life, not going to make the same mistake and jump on a product, got burned with the 9780 and the stupid keyboard.
    If they only get 3G they can turn the signal to 3G only, it's keeping both 2G and 3G on that kills the battery faster as they both have to be on at the same time to be able to perform the handover of calls and data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 04:46 AM
    Jumping in to subscribe.

Thanks for the useful real world information, the battery life is the remaining question mark for me.

There will be a lot of variance with this phone, mainly because it's a relatively small battery with a relatively big CPU. If you've an app pushing the CPU from time to time expect the battery to disappear.

Still, it can't be much worse than my current, borrowed, 9000

Jumping to Android if they've not got the battery right on this.
    08-11-11 07:37 AM
    If they only get 3G they can turn the signal to 3G only, it's keeping both 2G and 3G on that kills the battery faster as they both have to be on at the same time to be able to perform the handover of calls and data.

I already have it set to 3G only but does the 2G & 3G setting actually use more power? I would think software would handle that and it would only "activate" it when the signal was low or whatever. If it's true, that's cool to know. Didn't know that.
    08-11-11 09:05 AM
    Doesn't this exact thread happen every time a device is released? Just wait for some updates, chances are extended batteries will be made available shortly and most importantly, keep your pants on!!
    htc_maple likes this.
    08-11-11 09:16 AM
    But my pants aren't off.
    08-11-11 09:29 AM
    I already have it set to 3G only but does the 2G & 3G setting actually use more power? I would think software would handle that and it would only "activate" it when the signal was low or whatever. If it's true, that's cool to know. Didn't know that.
    Yeah, they both have to be active or your calls would drop or downloads would fail etc

08-11-11 09:35 AM
    Doesn't this exact thread happen every time a device is released? Just wait for some updates, chances are extended batteries will be made available shortly and most importantly, keep your pants on!!
    How about NFC on the backdoor? You can't place an extended battery and use the same door. May be the new extended batteries comes with a door that has the NFC antenna?
    08-11-11 02:14 PM
    I get 1.5 days easily with 3g on, wifi on, about 2 hrs of browsing, 50+bbm and a few texts and about 30 mins of calls.
    08-11-11 03:21 PM
    I have software 296 on a Rogers 9900 (unlocked) and i am roaming in Canada with my att SIM. The battery lasts from 8am to 6pm until it is drained. Regular usage nothing fancy, 30 minutes of calls, BBM, 50 Emails, Photos...

I hope the battery life will improve once i return to the US
    08-11-11 03:36 PM
    very disappointed reading battery reports, I want to update my old curve 8900 but after reading this maybe i'd go to the 9780 instead of the 9900

if I wanted a touch device that last 12 hours with no use at all I haven't returned my samsung gs2 to the store
    08-11-11 03:57 PM
    I'm getting the same with my BB 9900 (Rogers software .261). Brightness 10%, auto-dim 10s, ...

This truly is a weak battery or wonky software! As I'm typing this now, battery indicator showing 20% (started at 100% early this morning 8:30 am).

One call, some twitter, a few e-mails a little browsing. Yikes! I wonder what'll happen when I start calling, emailing, txting work peeps, family .... "ahhh... wait up there, boss, I've got to change out the battery!".

...I'll need another battery for sure or try some other software version - Vodafone firmware (.296) any good - anyone??
    I have had it installed for a bit, I have not seen any battery life improvements.
    08-11-11 04:30 PM
    I also notice poor battery life. Yesterday was crap and today I unplugged my phone at 9:30am. It is now 2:45pm and my battery is at 40% and I didn't use it very much. Version on my phone is 7.0.0.261
    08-11-11 04:46 PM
    I love this BB, but man, my battery sucks too. Light surfing, emails, BBM and I'm down to 23% at 4pm. BB turned on at 6:10am
    08-11-11 05:22 PM
    When u load a new os it takes time for the cods to settle down. This use to happen on os6 and I imagin it's same with os7 as well. Wait 2 days before you do a battery test for the os to settle.

Where did you get that garbage from??? Did you make it up, or are you just repeating other poster's BS? You must have - because there's absolutely no basis whatsoever for this statement at all, and RIM engineers would laugh at you for making such insane statements. "cods to settle down"....that's laughable...
    08-14-11 10:29 PM
    spare battery for emergencies?! ... more like "out of necessity"!

... or spare battery and another for emergencies.
    Well, considering my battery has been over half after I get home from work, I don't expect to see many "emergencies". In fact, I probably won't even get a spare battery at all at this point. Battery life has improved tremendously over the last few days. I get around a 3% hourly discharge rate.
    08-14-11 10:36 PM
    Battery life on the phone is worse than it was on my 9780.

After charging overnight, took phone off at 6am & by 11:27am, my battery is already at 55%. This is with a few bbms (10 - 15), a couple facebook messages, ubertwitter & a browsing a few pages (about 10). With my 9780, I was at 55% at 2pm and then would charge it back up at my desk. Screen brightness is at 20 & i have auto dim on.

I'll be one of those carrying a spare battery in my bag/wallet out of necessity
    08-15-11 01:30 PM
    yes, i agree its really bad, but i also know many people. who are getting outrageous battery life on this phone... (on 3G).
    So i'm thinking, lets get a bit deeper into this..

My BB 9900 is a "Proto", so i have my Engeneering mode already on..
    can anyone get into engeneering mode and let me know what your settings are in...

OS Engeneering Screens.....Battery...

Here are my screen shots....
    08-27-11 11:07 PM
    I must admit, although the battery life is a little less than my 9650, I don't have a real problem with my 9930. I'm on an Enterprise server for my Lotus Notes, and I have 4 personal email accounts set up. I send quite a few text messages during the day and check the web for a few pages, and make a couple of phone calls that could be anywhere from 5-15 minutes long.

I take my phone off the charger about 5:30-6am, and I'm usually good until 9 or 10 at night. Maybe I'm just not as heavy a user as some other folks here. I'd love a battery that can last into the second day, but I can live with this.
    08-28-11 09:22 AM
    Hi vegarockstar... are you over 3G or EDGE?
    i'm using it over 3G the whole day...
    see some interesting engineering screen shots of my phone....
    can anyone discuss their escreen settings ?

Can anyone see the screen shot... it says "NO ROM DEDECTED" - Whats up with that?
    08-29-11 12:28 AM
    ok, so i got hold of an official version bb 9900 and got into its e-screen, all the settings are the same on the official bb9900 and my proto, except the LCD section. where i can put "AUTO SCREEN DETECT" ON OR OFF.
    Mine was set to off and i put it ON and the battery life increase drastically.... from dropping 10% an hour, its now at 5% an hour, this shuld now get me thru 1 full day i think. but let me try this over a few days and see how this hold up.

NOTE : I'm on a 3G unlimited BB plan, als 3G is always ON.
    Over EDGE , i assume, this battery should last over a day..

BTW, also noticed one thing...
    the battery in my proto phone shows "LG" and the official Regingtone version says "SANYO"

If this
    08-29-11 04:36 AM
    How were you able to get to the escreen? I thought that people haven't gotten any code generators or such to work with OS7 devices yet.

Edit: my bad, the code generator app I was using required I put in the OS bundle number as well. I can get to the escreen but under LCD I don't have any options to change. The only other time LCD is mentioned is under the SVP menu but again, no options to change. I'm on .353 on Telus. No mods done to the phone wrt unlocking or unbranding. Could that be why?
    Last edited by zephryn; 08-29-11 at 05:20 AM.
    08-29-11 05:00 AM
    i used the same e-screen calculator as earlier bb's and it worked.
    08-29-11 05:08 AM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD