Is going to be the 9900/9930 release date timed poorly (late) vis-a-vis the Iphone 5. Here's a fight for the next generation and by letting the timing slip (I realize it is the carriers and not just RIM doing that) it will be tremendously costly. I have been a BB user for several years now, never in love with the form factor but very excited for the 9900/9930 -- FINALLY. So I've let my contract expire, waiting, waiting, waiting for this device, which is what I've waited 5 years for -- touchscreen + a fixed keyboard. My current device is half-broken now but I can't really replace it since I want the new Bold and don't want to deal with a temporary device. So the other day I happen to try out my wife's Iphone 4. I mean... WOW. Okay, no keyboard which I always felt was (and maybe still is) a dealbreaker for me but internet on that thing is absolute night and day vs. my Blackberry (OS 5). It's like AOL dialup in 1998 vs. T1 on a 2011 Lenovo Thinkpad. Seamless beautiful webpages and integration with major websites. Pages load in a split second on any connection. Even with Opera browser my BB is clunky, slow, and 50% of the web looks terrible.

Which normally would just a fact of life because hey, I need a keyboard and my company doesn't support Iphone. Except now they do -- because I feel like 50% of BB-only companies now support Iphone (with the other 50% to follow soon) and maybe, just maybe, the other features of the Iphone are great enough for me to ditch the keyboard. I am pretty tempted and I can assure you if the Iphone 5 comes out first, I'll be jumping on that. If the BB comes out first... well we'll see. But as of now I see no reason to think we'll see the 9930 (Verizon) in August, and the Iphone seems set for September per latest (confirmed/WSJ) rumors.

If all (or half?) the people waiting for the Bold Touch end up with an Iphone... RIM's days are numbered.

Right now, RIM has two things only going for it: (1) legacy corporate users/security focus and (2) keyboard. Number 1 is dying. Number 2 might be able to keep them alive for a little longer but this delay may hasten that death. And oh, if Iphone ever comes out with a keyboard/form factor to match BB, then it's game, set and match.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by dcnats; 07-07-11 at 01:03 PM.
    mustangv8 and redantz like this.
    07-07-11 01:00 PM
    I kind of agree but I place a little more emphasis on the real keyboard/candy bar form. I DO NOT want moving parts and typing on a touch screen keyboard is an absolute deal killer for me. I would go buy a refurb Palm before going all touch.
    07-07-11 01:11 PM
    have fun with the iphone.. i've posted many times why i hate using it..

it;s for simple minded people that don't have the brains to use menus, options etc etc etc.. that's why it does well.. it's simple! User friendly!

did u read this thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-apple-628020/

good luck with any business using an iphone! their live bait just waiting to get hacked! there have been several articles about companies allowing android and iphones in their company and they got screwed due to the security weakness of their OS..

any phone that can be exposed via going to a website (jailbreakme.com) is a major SCREW up!

FTP access to anyone's jailbroken iphone via open wifi network..
    username: dottie
    password: alpine
    (might have changed, i haven't researched it in a while)

that's the username and password for ROOT!! ROOT for goodness sake! when a hacker can hash out the root password to anything it's bad, especially in 15 seconds! you can wipe out an iphone in less then 20 seconds! access anything on the iphone.. text messages, emails, passwords etc etc etc...

RIM said Summer! it's still summer! Summer doesn't end till Sept 23... so if it's not out by then, you can re-post your thread.

your first post .. enough said
    Last edited by knowledge_6; 07-07-11 at 01:30 PM.
    eBud, Redbird1, miktro and 8 others like this.
    07-07-11 01:12 PM
    I am debating between an iPhone 5 and 9900 right now. I love the traditional BB form factor of the 9900 (with the added bonus of touch) and BB OS does have a few other advantages over iOS but with iOS 5 most of those advantages are disappearing fast.
    07-07-11 01:38 PM
    dcnats:

Can't imagine hustling through an airport with my carry-on in one hand and my iPhone (or Da Big Droid Slab) in the other trying to one-hand an email reply! As for the rest of the stuff the iP offers, well, I've got a laptop for that...

To each his own...good luck!
    Last edited by eBud; 07-07-11 at 01:54 PM.
    07-07-11 01:50 PM
    So you need a real keyboard but apparently not because you're willing to get an iPhone. And in considering the 9900 with OS7 and a 1.2 gHz processor, you compare an old Blackberry on OS5 with an iPhone 4. Erm OK!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 02:21 PM
    I agree with the killer being the release date/time. Maybe because I'm thirsty for the 9930.
    07-07-11 02:21 PM
    dcnats:

Can't imagine hustling through an airport with my carry-on in one hand and my iPhone (or Da Big Droid Slab) in the other trying to one-hand an email reply! As for the rest of the stuff the iP offers, well, I've got a laptop for that...
    That is what's great about the traditional BB (no idea why someone would buy a storm). As for the rest of the stuff the iPhone offers, I have an iPad for that.
    eBud likes this.
    07-07-11 02:30 PM
    I 100% agree...while RIM stayed stagnent for over two years doing minor upgrades on the same old, same old, Apple simply laid out a NEW device every year...you knew if you had an iphone 3 in August, you'd have the availability to upgrade to an iphone 4 next August and so on. Apple is taking RIM down bit by bit (i messanger, possible availibility on all four US carriers, marketing a lower end iphone for countries that 90% prepay for thier service.) And when Apple gets a BES security type for the iphone, the US Goverment will jump on that in a heartbeat. Just like AOL in the mid-90's was THE internet, and like Myspace was the social web site in early to mid 2000's and Yahoo WAS the premier default web browser...technology changes in a heartbeat. Apple may have it's 2-3yrs more in dominating, but who knows what lay ahead? RIM had thier day in the sun from 2006-2008, then sat on thier laurels and now is paying for thier arrogance. Between 15-20% of RIM's US smartphone market shares have gone in less than three years...and releasing the Bold 9900/9930 in late August knowing that the totally revamped iphone 5 will be released within weeks later...only time will tell.
    07-07-11 02:37 PM

it;s for simple minded people that don't have the brains to use menus, options etc etc etc.. that's why it does well.. it's simple! User friendly!

your first post .. enough said
    lol the iphone's Kid friendly
    07-07-11 03:47 PM
    I am debating between an iPhone 5 and 9900 right now. I love the traditional BB form factor of the 9900 (with the added bonus of touch) and BB OS does have a few other advantages over iOS but with iOS 5 most of those advantages are disappearing fast.
    I find comments like this very puzzling. How are you debating about something you know nothing about? iOS 5 is just catching up with what a combination of Android and Blackberry have been doing for a long time.
    07-07-11 04:02 PM
    07-07-11 04:03 PM
    Ah the first post, "long time user", probably moving to iPhone thread. Hadn't had one of these for a day or two at least.
    BBOttawa and dancing-bass like this.
    07-07-11 04:31 PM
    I have been useing virtual keyboard for a long time now and can't wait to get my physical keyboard back and it's worth waiting for the right phone with a qwerty keyboard.
    07-07-11 04:38 PM
    I find comments like this very puzzling. How are you debating about something you know nothing about? iOS 5 is just catching up with what a combination of Android and Blackberry have been doing for a long time.
    Let me try to enlighten you. The current version of iOS supports several features that BB OS does not including Exchange Active Sync and video calling. IOS 5 will add location based task reminders, BBM style messaging and free cloud syncing between Apple devices.

I can't even sync my BB to google contacts OTA without things messing up.

07-07-11 04:44 PM
    Its interesting coming from the non-bb obsessed world because point 2 about the keyboard is quite silly. there are some, granted not a lot and most somewhat under the most popular of radars, smartphones that do in fact have keyboards. in fact there are several that amazing keyboards that rim doesnt even come close in matching. I own a HTC G1, the mother of all androids which was released several years ago and its keyboard is fantastic. I am looking at BB (drooling over the 9900) but just wanted to make it known there are more phones out there than the iphone and other keyboard-less smartphones. Oh and yea my friend had a droid 2 whose keyboard was miserable compared my g1, and even BB.

oh and I agree about timing killing RIM. They keep delaying a phone that is probably at least 1 year behind its rivals, specs wise (its actually quite laughable if you think about it.. Hey Im RIM and I finally just added a touch screen to my flagship device in 2011, when did you first have a touch screen apple? Or I just got a processor faster than a decade old computer, yay.). Granted you can say the target market segments might be different but those are target markets are overlapping quicklyl.
    Last edited by austriker; 07-07-11 at 05:24 PM.
    07-07-11 05:21 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with being simple minded or not having brains - but I do think you hit the nail on the head and it has EVERYTHING to do with menus/options. The interface and user experience on the blackberry is massively customizable and amazingly flexible. You can control an incredible number of options and have the device behave exactly the way you want it to. Context based options/menus are, IMHO, the heart of the Blackberry experience. I used to think it was about the keyboard - and I personally still can't work without a physical keyboard - but I am getting more and more convinced that this isn't the real issue. I suspect that with some time and practice I could get moderately comfortable with other input methods. But the menus/options - no, that I simply cannot live without (which is why I am going absolutely crazy waiting for the next PlayBook OS upgrade that might, just might, bring some of those menus/options to the PlayBook).
    07-07-11 07:02 PM
    Thats why god gave us 2 hands... One for iphone and one for BB...

I have both because like you say browser is like night and day.. I run my own company and need to google a lot of stuff for customers, find parts on ebay, calculate tire sizes etc all of that iphone has apps for..

But for emailing and talking with customers only blackberry, the battery is much better, signal strength, and its pretty much impossible to text while driving on the small touch keyboard..

I have the torch now and never type on the touch part, however browsing thru menus and selecting with just touching is a really nice feature thats why the 9900 will rock because it will loose the stupid slider function so cant wait to pick one up, but im gonna buy a iphone 5 also just cuz its a must have gadget..

I dont know which bb you have but if os6 is available do the upgrade, that 2 is like night and day with the browser and being able to have more open pages than 1....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    07-07-11 07:17 PM
    Sad but true, iphones are taking over

wtmk81 likes this.
    07-07-11 08:29 PM
    iPhones arent taking over, it's RIM becoming the new Nokia, thinking they can just ride whatever horse they want and still win the race..
    BerryBlack15 likes this.
    07-07-11 09:42 PM
    Just the opposite here. I have actually tried using an iPhone about 20 times so far. Web browsing, YES is nice.

Other than that one thing I GREATLY prefer even my old Tour 9630 for regular use.

Just goes to show there is no one solution for everyone.

07-07-11 10:13 PM
    The new Blackberries will do well among the loyalists, but they probably won't get many folks to switch platforms. I've been using BB devices since 2001 but nothing they have other than the QNX devices coming in 2012 generate interest in me.

Sent using Tapatalk
    07-07-11 10:25 PM
    blackberry and iphone are two different phones. If you like BB, you will wait for it. If you like iphone, you will wait for it. What is the logic of if iphone5 comes before Bold 9900 then people will buy Iphone? some will, but not all people on this planet earth behaves identically...

07-07-11 11:54 PM
    siausin said it straight up. it's all down to personal preference. I for one, only had the BB tour for about a year and four months before moving onto the droid x. It's been a whole year since I got the DX and I am still not to big on the whole full-touch screen device. It is nice to have a big screen while watching videos, but that won't be my deal breaker for the physical keyboard. It's not like I watch netflix or movies on my phone to being with.
    07-08-11 12:47 AM
    its pretty much impossible to text while driving on the small touch keyboard..

Please stop doing this.

Knowing how not-smart this activity is, makes me question your credibility. And you make very valid points and bring up a great perspective of the pros and cons of each platform. But then I think of the above, and disregard everything you've said.

As far as the IP5 and BB9930, just like everything in the tech world, there will be a top placeholder, and several successful contendors below. To believe that one phone will be the killer of all phones is closed-minded. Like Watcher said, there are good and bad of each. It's just like comparing carriers. There can only be one "biggest" carrier, but people don't always want the biggest; some want something different, that better suits their needs.

Just because something isn't #1, doesn't mean people won't want it.

Blackberry won't die, it'll just change.
    07-08-11 01:31 AM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD