I just purchased the Bold 9930 to replace my old droid, and am testing the waters, but haven't decided if its something I can keep yet. There are some dealbreakers which I am hoping is just a case of me being a BB noob.

1. Is there a way to drop applications/shortcut icons right on the main desktop screen (not in a panel)? If not, is there a way to add custom panels, then hide the "all" panel or something?

2. GMail's app is plaintext only, so I tried syncing my gmail using the integrated blackberry wizard, however it seems like this method just drops new emails into the main messages bin, without providing any of the structure the GMail app does. Is there anyways to get a gmail-like interface with full html working?

3. My gmail login credentials and the email address that I actually send/receive from are different. Is there a way to make it so that I can specify the email address put in the "From" field when I send emails?

4. I really don't like how BB likes to dump text messages, BBM, and email into one big mess. Ideally, I would like the first three each in their own isolated apps, and delete BBM if possible.

There are a lot of features I like about this new phone, but it seems like the control/customizing flexibility just isn't there. Also, seeing as BB7 is 3 days old, googling for solutions is often futile.

Thanks for any assistance!
    Last edited by ScottyC1988; 08-17-11 at 10:20 AM.
    08-17-11 10:12 AM
    1. Hover on the application with the trackpad, hit the blackberry key (the one that's left of the trackpad) select move to folder and choose home.

2. go to m.google.com and download the gmail app.

3. When composing emails you can choose which email address your sending it from.

4. In bbm, hit the blackberry key look for options and uncheck the option that says, show chats in the messaging application.
    In messages, hit the blackberry key, look for options, inbox management and uncheck the text messages option.

I think you'll be surprised as too how much blackberrys can be customized. You can get themes and the app icons will look different as well as the notifications and home screen (kinda like putting a new ROM on android.)
    If you download an app like bebuzz, it will allow you to change the LED light color to whatever you want. So for instance, you can make emails blink blue and texts green and bbms yellow. Pretty cool!
    Also, i am not sure if you have noticed but changing the ringing profiles will allow you to customize how you want the phone to vibrate. So for bbms i have short vibrates, with just 1 pulse. For texts i have medium vibrates, 2 times per text. For emails i have 1 long vibrate 3 times per email.
    Last edited by dcgore; 08-17-11 at 10:28 AM.
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 10:13 AM
    Someone else can get into the specifics of how to do all that stuff (I'm on android right now so it's been a while since I've had a BB), but rest assured, about 90 percent of that stuff can be customized.

I would say, in a lot of ways, BB can be customized better than android only because the customization is built into the OS its not something you have to patch up later with apps. For example: HTC Sense can't be customized at all. It is what it is.

I pretty much hate all of the manufacturer android overlays. I find myself always trying to make it more like a blackberry (super efficient) which just isn't possible with android. That's why I'm coming back to blackberry with the 9930.

You live and you learn and then you go back to blackberry.
    08-17-11 10:21 AM
    1. on the home scrren, touch and hold the icon you want to hide until a menu pops up, either you can hide or move the icon to a folder clear up the clutter, selecting the app and pressing the menu key will yield the same results.

2. BIS ingratiation with gmail is greatly improved with OS 7, no need to use gmail app as it is plain text only. So use the native email client instead of an app.

3. native email client provides you that option.

4. Universal inbox is the best feature to forgo, surely but slowly it will grow on you, also you may choose individual apps all to read the messages, universal inbox is only for convenience. you can unhide email account icons incase if you want to goto individual email accounts by home screen -> menu key -> show all -> select icon you want to unhide -> unhide. You may also move your favourite apps to the top row on home screen for easy accessibility.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 08-17-11 at 10:28 AM.
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 10:25 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses!

I tried using the 'move to home folder' trick, but that seems to only drop the application in the main panel, not on the home screen.

I followed the instructions to get BBM out of the universal inbox, so that should be good.

I still don't see any of my old gmails in the native email application. Maybe its just not syncing correctly? Maybe I am completely in the wrong place? I am using the messages icon--I don't see any icon that goes to email only. (I am not usually this bad with technology....I swear)

I've also made a mess of my contacts because I had first synced all the contacts from my android phone using gsync, then when the used the BB wizard to connect my gmail account, I got duplicates overload. Perhaps a factory reset and trying this fresh would be the best route.
    08-17-11 10:37 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses!

I tried using the 'move to home folder' trick, but that seems to only drop the application in the main panel, not on the home screen.

I followed the instructions to get BBM out of the universal inbox, so that should be good.

I still don't see any of my old gmails in the native email application. Maybe its just not syncing correctly? Maybe I am completely in the wrong place? I am using the messages icon--I don't see any icon that goes to email only. (I am not usually this bad with technology....I swear)

I've also made a mess of my contacts because I had first synced all the contacts from my android phone using gsync, then when the used the BB wizard to connect my gmail account, I got duplicates overload. Perhaps a factory reset and trying this fresh would be the best route.
    1. for the "home screen" move the app from the mail panel up to the top. The top 6 icons show up in the main screen. Also if you take your finger while pressing and holding where it says "all" in the main screen, you can drag that up or down to reveal more icons on the home screen.

2. When it comes to seeing old emails in the native email application, that capability will come in a couple of months but it is not yet possible (i know! big bummer).

3. I dont like syncing contacts with google cuz i see tons of duplicates, but i guess you can go to your gmail account from your desktop and remove duplicates, then wait for the bbery to reflect the change since it's syncing with you gmail account.
    Last edited by dcgore; 08-17-11 at 10:48 AM.
    ScottyC1988 and psiclne like this.
    08-17-11 10:45 AM
    I used to be an android user and have always been a heavy heavy gmail user. I came to BB for the keyboard and professional look. I love everything about blackberry especially the battery and how the facebook app is so much better than androids. But if you're like me and you have multiple labels in gmail and have several forwarding emails and all that good stuff, BB is really disappointing... the pros still outweigh the cons though. However, I will switch back once the galaxy s2 comes out.
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 10:51 AM
    All of the questions you raise can be solved. Firstly, I don't even use the "messages" folder. I separate everything by e-mail account, BBM, SMS, etc etc, in separate folders. If you set up your e-mail through [universal search for email setup application] - you can select what credentials e-mails come and go from, that's no problem. Furthermore, if you want a dedicated icon for JUST your g-mail messages, when you're on your home screen, hit the menu key, and press show all icons - and the unhide the dedicated e-mail folder - hide your messages folder if you wish.

When you install the g-mail plugin (you will be prompted to do so if you set-up your Gmail account correctly), it organizes your messages by conversation, syncs contacts, all that good stuff that you would expect with g-mail.

Lastly - in regards to having applications show up in the ALL tab, the answer is, they're already there. go to "manage panels" and disable everything except ALL if you'd like, but things under the media panel can be found in the media folder on the ALL tab, same with items that are under "Favourites", and things in the Downloads panel can be found wherever your downloads destination is set to. I set mine to "applications", it is set to Home by default.
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 11:01 AM
    You don't need the Gmail app. Gmail is integrated on the phone already with the Gmail plugin and it uses push.

If you want to view Gmail style conversations and use labels, just don't open the universal mailbox. Use the one specific to Gmail. It's one of the envelope icons, with a globe on it.

The universal inbox is designed to show every incoming items as a stream, regardless of type. But every account can be viewed individually, using all its features. You can view Gmail inbox only, or text messages only, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, GTalk, phone log etc, all in their own specific app or inbox. When you want to see everything in one timeline, only then you use the unified inbox (also accessible by pressing the kb shortcut 'm'), and even that unified inbox let's you exclude items. Many other apps offer to insert their notifications into the unified inbox, for example, to do items. It's very useful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 11:44 AM
    You don't need the Gmail app. Gmail is integrated on the phone already with the Gmail plugin and it uses push.

If you want to view Gmail style conversations and use labels, just don't open the universal mailbox. Use the one specific to Gmail. It's one of the envelope icons, with a globe on it.

The universal inbox is designed to show every incoming items as a stream, regardless of type. But every account can be viewed individually, using all its features. You can view Gmail inbox only, or text messages only, BBM, Facebook, Twitter, GTalk, phone log etc, all in their own specific app or inbox. When you want to see everything in one timeline, only then you use the unified inbox (also accessible by pressing the kb shortcut 'm'), and even that unified inbox let's you exclude items. Many other apps offer to insert their notifications into the unified inbox, for example, to do items. It's very useful.

Maybe I just didn't know how to do it? You say you can view labels in the specific Gmail inbox? How do you do that?
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 12:07 PM
    Maybe I just didn't know how to do it? You say you can view labels in the specific Gmail inbox? How do you do that?
    Menu > Filter. Check the labels you want to see.

The filter item is a long way down on the menu. You can hit F a few times to get to it, or a smaller menu when you press and hold has a more direct access to it.

jwang217 and ScottyC1988 like this.
    08-17-11 12:11 PM
    Menu > Filter. Check the labels you want to see.

The filter item is a long way down on the menu. You can hit F a few times to get to it, or a smaller menu when you press and hold has a more direct access to it.

Thanks a lot for this. It kind of solves my problem. But can you select to view all your labels at once and have them grouped together in threaded view? Android was very good at this, and this is the one thing that I feel would perfect BB for gmail users.
    08-17-11 12:52 PM
    Thanks a lot for this. It kind of solves my problem. But can you select to view all your labels at once and have them grouped together in threaded view? Android was very good at this, and this is the one thing that I feel would perfect BB for gmail users.
    You can't do this in the native Gmail inbox, only one label at a time, or no filtering.

There is also a Gmail app from Google, it might offer this functionality. I personally like to use the native Gmail inbox because it uses RIM's push service which is faster and easier on the battery. If you use the Gmail app, be careful when considering Google Sync. In my experience having it sync calendar and contacts while also having a native Gmail account on the device results in duplicates. Choose one or the other.

Last edited by synthmole; 08-17-11 at 01:18 PM.
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 01:15 PM
    You can't do this in the native Gmail inbox, only one label at a time, or no filtering.

There is also a Gmail app from Google, it might offer this functionality. I personally like to use the native Gmail inbox because it uses RIM's push service which is faster and easier on the battery. If you use the Gmail app, be careful when considering Google Sync. In my experience having it sync calendar and contacts while also having a native Gmail account on the device results in duplicates. Choose one or the other.

I refuse to download the gmail app. I guess I'll just live with just using the main Messages app to view all my mail. thanks for your help.
    08-17-11 01:22 PM
    BBOS7 will give you access to your gmail features in the main app (thank g-d)

however, that is correct you cannot view old emails, it doesn't sync like the android does.

That being said, if you need to find an email, doing an advance search, selecting remote it will still search your web based gmail messages and grab what you need.

It is far from perfect but does the job
    08-17-11 02:17 PM
    I am not sure if the gmail plugin was installed. I tried installing it explicitly by going to blackberry.com/integrate, and I get an HTTP error 500 from what looks like a Tomcat Server. Unless in the process of adding the email account my phone added it automatically, I don't think I have it, and I am not sure how I would go about adding it as long as that server is offline.
    08-17-11 02:29 PM
    I just purchased the Bold 9930 to replace my old droid, and am testing the waters, but haven't decided if its something I can keep yet. There are some dealbreakers which I am hoping is just a case of me being a BB noob.

1. Is there a way to drop applications/shortcut icons right on the main desktop screen (not in a panel)? If not, is there a way to add custom panels, then hide the "all" panel or something?

2. GMail's app is plaintext only, so I tried syncing my gmail using the integrated blackberry wizard, however it seems like this method just drops new emails into the main messages bin, without providing any of the structure the GMail app does. Is there anyways to get a gmail-like interface with full html working?

3. My gmail login credentials and the email address that I actually send/receive from are different. Is there a way to make it so that I can specify the email address put in the "From" field when I send emails?

4. I really don't like how BB likes to dump text messages, BBM, and email into one big mess. Ideally, I would like the first three each in their own isolated apps, and delete BBM if possible.

There are a lot of features I like about this new phone, but it seems like the control/customizing flexibility just isn't there. Also, seeing as BB7 is 3 days old, googling for solutions is often futile.

Thanks for any assistance!
    That is considered by some to be the only RIGHT way of doing things... LOL.

You're in good hands though. Folks here will help you adjust.
    ScottyC1988 likes this.
    08-17-11 03:08 PM
    Question here coming from another Android user / ex BB user... I use to have the Curve back in the days, and i remember i bought this wonderful app called... ugh BUZZed i think, its from the Crackberry store but what it did was allow me to change the LED for certain things. Will this work on OS 7? How would i get it back?
    08-24-11 04:00 PM
    Oh my god! I've been using bb for past 3 years. Never knew you could remotely search emails. :-o

I live and learn!

08-24-11 04:30 PM
    The app u r looking for is Bebuzz. It works perfectly with OS7. There is a free version and premium one both available in app world.

08-24-11 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD