Hello all,

I'm currently on at&t (Galaxy S2) and thinking about switching to sprint for the bold 9930 and a cheaper rate plan. I've tried every "it" phone (S2, 4S, etc) & none afford me the productivity of a BB. Part of that is my fault (always searching for apps, downloading useless stuff just because its there). I can reduce my bill by $25-30.00/mth. My at&t ETF is $170, but i'm eligible for the sprint corporate port in credit of 125.00. I live in Massachusetts. I would like to hear some first hand experience about sprint's network coverage. I know 3G speeds aren't the greatest, but on a BB they don't need to be. Also, if you switched from a GSM provider, how difficult was the transition to no simultaneous voice and data over 3G?

Thanks in advance for the help

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be as detailed as possible.
    10-28-11 12:57 PM
    I have never had a problem with Sprint coverage where I live in Ohio, but I have come across some areas while traveling in which I didn't have good coverage, but that is my experience with almost any provider. I would suggest checking out Sprint's coverage maps to see how the coverage is in your specific area. Follow link to Sprint's coverage map in which you can see their coverage and enter your zip code to see the coverage in your specific area:

Sprint - Nationwide Coverage
    p51 likes this.
    10-28-11 01:48 PM
    I a Sprint customer for nearly ten years. reasonable coverage at home, no telephone service in my office. I work in a secure office with lots of reinforced steel. I am trying Verizon that receives strong 4-5 bar signal in the office. Recently Sprint added a $10 fee "We require this add-on for phones made to deliver a superior wireless experience including Web, email, video and social networking." since I have four phones that are internet ready, this adds $480 a year to my family plan. I recently received notice that theSprint Premier Rewards was being discontinued at the end of the year. Indications on other sites are betting that unlimited data will also end. No grandfathering, just an instant increase in fees indicates no appreciation for longevity of a plan with Sprint.
    I am sure that others may have a better appreciation of their Sprint Plan and service. I hope they will post a reply. I will pay the early termination fees the beginning of next year and switch all to Verizon.
    p51 likes this.
    10-28-11 04:16 PM
    For many years have used Sprint for my family's non B B phones (Palm based smart phones). In MA and around the USA I generally get fine signals from Sprint save inside some buildings.
    I have not known Sprint to kill an existing plan for those on it unless you upgrade to a higher class of phone, but anything is possible. But beware of speculations on the net.

I just upgraded my plan to Everything Data Share so my son can toy around with an iP4s (no accounting for taste). Hard to neat the price even with the $10 for his phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    p51 likes this.
    10-29-11 12:07 AM
    What part of mass?

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk
    10-29-11 12:13 AM
    Our Fair City (Cambridge), Boston, Lexington, Rockport. The civilized parts.

10-29-11 01:12 AM
    I actually get better Sprint reception in my office building than I do Verizon. But for the most part, everywhere I've gone in Northern CA reaped the equal reception for Sprint and Verizon.

Personally, I prefer Sprint to Verizon simply because their Unlimited Plans are REAL unlimited plans and they have lower cost plans... Not to mention nights start at 7pm if you're not on an unlimited plan, and you can even pay an extra $5 to have it start at 6pm. I've found the early nights to come in handy when I wasn't on the Unlimited Everything plan...
    p51 likes this.
    10-29-11 01:28 AM
    I live in Fitchburg but i commute to Cambridge/Boston almost daily. I am in the process of starting a new business, so I need something dependable that is also cost efficient. I really appreciate all the replies. They are alleviating my fears about the network. Even if they were to do away with unlimited data, BB's are so efficient in that area that it wouldn't really matter. My larger concern now is simultaneous voice and data & how much, if at all, I will miss it.

P.S. I'm not exactly sure how to reply to a specific individual..hence the all encompassing post.
    10-29-11 02:06 AM
    How long have you been on sprint? Have you noticed any degradation of network quality? Have you had a chance to test sprint service in other places?

Thanks
    10-29-11 02:11 AM
    How long have you been on sprint? Have you noticed any degradation of network quality? Have you had a chance to test sprint service in other places?

Thanks
    Maybe 20 years, no change noticed. Actually Rockport service improved in last 10 years. Also their CS is now very fine indeed. Always ask to speak with Account Service when you call into CS.
    10-29-11 02:55 AM
    thanks for that
    10-29-11 03:23 AM
    Maybe 20 years, no change noticed. Actually Rockport service improved in last 10 years. Also their CS is now very fine indeed. Always ask to speak with Account Service when you call into CS.

I have not been with Sprint for as long as that, but have been with them for 3 years. Before that, I was with Verizon and T Mobile.

Currently, I have Sprint and Verizon; I have both of their Unlimited data, talk, text plans.

Sprint's customer service is excellent.

As far as network quality, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I've only used Sprint in three metro areas: Northern CA/Bay Area, Atlanta, and Los Angeles - all have been excellent. I've only used Verizon in the Bay Area.

As far as simultaneous voice and data goes... I too thought I would have a big need for it, but most of my browsing is done in an office or home setting and those places almost always have wifi anyways. In fact, even McDonalds and Starbucks offer free wifi as well as many other areas (maybe it's just the fact that I live in the Silicon Valley that every mall or shopping center has wifi nearby ) So simultaneous voice and data has never really been necessary for me. Besides, even if I did need to surf the web when there wasn't wifi available, there hasn't been a time where I couldn't just call the person back 3-5 minutes later after I was done finding what I needed on my phone's browser. However your needs may vary.

I talk about 8+ hours a day on my phone; that's my phones primary purpose. The secondary is text/email. Web browsing/apps are tertiary. As stated earlier, I'm 99% of the time in an area with available wifi, and the times I'm not near wifi, I don't need to access data while talking on the phone so it's a non issue for me.

If you have any other questions/concerns, feel free to send me a BBM.
    Last edited by jranciano; 10-29-11 at 04:00 AM.
    p51 likes this.
    10-29-11 03:57 AM
    sprint around boston is absolutely fine..
    p51 likes this.
    10-30-11 06:14 PM
    Sprint tech support is great.
    p51 likes this.
    10-30-11 06:24 PM
    Thanks to all who replied. Great info. I'm very close to pulling the trigger & switching to sprint. I just need to find out if they are willing I help me out with the ETF. I know some providers will help defray the cost if you port your # over. Anyone have any insight on this. Thanks again CB Nation.

11-06-11 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD