I will be upgrading to a BB Bold 9930 or the new BB Curve in March. I thought about the iPhone, but dont know about that touch screen, and the lack of customization apple offers. Okay I am using Sprint. Does the BB Bold come with Sprint Navigation or TeleNav? Is it the same as the BB Curve 3G in this regard? Also can I send longer texts? In my Curve 3G I can type a text longer than 160 characters and the BB OS extends the text to multiple 160 character texts being sent.

Also is there a radio tuner in the BB Bold, or is that only for the new BB Curve? I am aware of 3rd party apps, however I was under the impression that the BB has a built in FM tuner like the iPod Nano where I can listen to the radio if I am in a bad data connection zone. Try listening to radio with a app and the radio will cut in and out. A FM tuner would be better. The FM tuner is one of the MAJOR reasons I am not moving to a iPod Touch. My iPod Nano has it built in. It would be great if the new BB had one built in and does not rely on data, which cuts in and out.

John
    Last edited by jwolf6589; 02-08-12 at 02:43 PM.
    02-08-12 02:41 PM
    I have a 9930 on Sprint. It comes with Sprint navigation but you can get Telnav (which I use). It does have a radio app icon which I have never used. However I use the Nobex app for HD radio. I plug it into my car's AUX input and listen. I don't really enounter issues with cutting out. If find cut-out occurs on a specific channel verses all the time.

When using BBM to text message contacts, I type an encyclopedia to them and I believe it gets chopped to 160 character segments on their side.
    jwolf6589 likes this.
    02-08-12 03:47 PM
    I have a 9930 on Sprint. It comes with Sprint navigation but you can get Telnav (which I use). It does have a radio app icon which I have never used. However I use the Nobex app for HD radio. I plug it into my car's AUX input and listen. I don't really enounter issues with cutting out. If find cut-out occurs on a specific channel verses all the time.

When using BBM to text message contacts, I type an encyclopedia to them and I believe it gets chopped to 160 character segments on their side.
    Good so it has Sprint Navigation. This is one of the MAJOR issues I have with the iPhone is the lack of this app. If I got a iPhone I would lose about 30-50 saved addresses that are synced on the Sprint Nav website.

Digital radio does cut in and out depending on where you are. When I use WIFI I have NEVER had an issue, however using the 3G data I sometimes have issues. Its not all the time, but it does happen. When I use radio with my iPod Nanon I have never had a problem. Also I bet you that a FM tuner would use less battery than a digital connection. I use an app called Nobex Radio Companion on my BB. It works very very well in WIFI zones. But 3G not as often.
    ZombieCrisis likes this.
    02-08-12 05:06 PM
    Yes it has Sprint Nav/TeleNav. I believe it will split up and send sms msgs if they are longer than 160 char. No radio tuner.
    Good. Is it much better than the version that shipped with my BB Curve 3G?
    02-08-12 05:08 PM
    Good so it has Sprint Navigation. This is one of the MAJOR issues I have with the iPhone is the lack of this app. If I got a iPhone I would lose about 30-50 saved addresses that are synced on the Sprint Nav website.

Digital radio does cut in and out depending on where you are. When I use WIFI I have NEVER had an issue, however using the 3G data I sometimes have issues. Its not all the time, but it does happen. When I use radio with my iPod Nanon I have never had a problem. Also I bet you that a FM tuner would use less battery than a digital connection. I use an app called Nobex Radio Companion on my BB. It works very very well in WIFI zones. But 3G not as often.
    I used Sprint Navigation exclusively on my 9650. When i got my 9930 I tried Telnav and like it alot. They are similar in interface. But I hear you with the saved addresses.

I bet an FM tuner would indeed save battery. Though I can tell you Nobex streaming via 3G was pretty cheap on battery consumption.
    02-08-12 08:18 PM
    I used Sprint Navigation exclusively on my 9650. When i got my 9930 I tried Telnav and like it alot. They are similar in interface. But I hear you with the saved addresses.

I bet an FM tuner would indeed save battery. Though I can tell you Nobex streaming via 3G was pretty cheap on battery consumption.
    How is Telenav better? Is there a fee for that app? What of the saved addresses will the new Sprint NAV retrieve them?

How do you deal with the multitude of sales ppl, and others whom have an agenda against BB? It seems like a good phone to most these days is one that plays movies and music on a large screen, has lots of games, and other eye candy. Iphone and Droid have way more users, but I am just not sure if I could get used to that touch screen and the far bulkier size of those phones. I pride myself in that my BB is quite small.
    02-08-12 08:38 PM
    Sprint Navigation and Telenav are one and the same. Just Sprint just decided to stop calling it Sprint Navigation. I'm enjoying my 9930 right now. Typing this post from my Playbook bridged to my 9930 currently on break.
    02-08-12 11:30 PM
    Sprint Navigation and Telenav are one and the same. Just Sprint just decided to stop calling it Sprint Navigation. I'm enjoying my 9930 right now. Typing this post from my Playbook bridged to my 9930 currently on break.
    Good. How do you defend yourself against the multitude of sales ppl and others whom like to bash BB, and say you are not thinking straight because you use a BB? 10 years ago they said that flip phone was the way to go, and non flip phones would be gone in a year or so, but that never happened.
    02-09-12 06:08 AM
    why would anyone defend themselves against ppl who bash BB? All I need to say is that it works for me (other than the battery life which sucks big time).
    02-09-12 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD