I have a 9700 which is a workhorse but I will have an upgrade coming soon and finally got a chance to get into a Telus store to look at the 9900. One thing I noticed is that the menu buttons phone,bb,return, hangup) are all on one piece of plastic rather than separate buttons on the 9700. Have people experienced any problems with the new configuration? Aesthetically at least it seems like a step backward in my opinion but I was just curious with regards to its functionality.
    10-16-11 03:31 PM
    it looks better INMHO
    but on the usage its worse.
    less tactile feeling, and on most 9900 it did squeak.
    10-16-11 04:11 PM
    I have a 9700 which is a workhorse but I will have an upgrade coming soon and finally got a chance to get into a Telus store to look at the 9900. One thing I noticed is that the menu buttons phone,bb,return, hangup) are all on one piece of plastic rather than separate buttons on the 9700. Have people experienced any problems with the new configuration? Aesthetically at least it seems like a step backward in my opinion but I was just curious with regards to its functionality.
    I had an upgrade last week - bad timing with the whole outage fiasco but otherwise I would recommend the upgrade. Firstly, to answer your question. It has been my experience thus far that the functionality is unaffected by the new design. Notwithstanding the fact that (I think) the "one piece of plastic" feels less durable and robust than the separate buttons on the 9700 I upgraded from.

I must add that I'm running .440 on the 9900 now and OS 7 is sweet - the touch screen coupled with a superb keyboard is exquisite; it works a treat. HOWEVER, be warned - circumcise your expectations on the battery life. You will find that there is simply no comparison to what you are currently used to on the 9700...
    10-16-11 04:19 PM
    9900 looks and functions so much better in every way than 9700.. Go to the store and see for yourself. There's no step backward in designing 9900.. other than the battery and the camera when comparing to 9780.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 04:23 PM
    I used to have a 9700 when i lived in europe, but i recently moved to the US and got the 9930 on Verizon. Personally, i preferred the design of the 9700, and i really like the distinctive curve on the top button of the 8900, 96xx and 97xx, and tbh don't really like the form factor of the 99xx too bulky, and i don't think it looks as masculine and "businessy" as the 96xx and 97xx... frankly the only design improvement i see on 99xx is the glowing trackpad. This, together with the upgrade to OS 7 (too complicated and funky, i like the simplicity of OS 5), is making me think about a downgrade back to the 9650. before you upgrade, i would suggest that if you know anyone with the 99xx, ask them if they like it, try it out, etc. the design preference is all a matter of personal taste. i personally prefer the discontinued 97xx and 96xx, but then again, we're all different.
    10-16-11 10:54 PM
    I don't like the panel connected to the keyboard because it doesn't sit flush to the screen. Most of the panels you see are higher than the screen so you feel an edge when you draw your finger down from the screen to the trackpad or to the panel. Some of the panels are lower than the screen and so the reverse occurs.
    10-16-11 11:30 PM
    I used to own a Bold 9700 and after buying the Bold 9900 I found no issues with those buttons. However, the RIM's quality control has went down so bad, that a lot of units are defective in some way. So make sure when you buy the new phone, you check everything.

-Check if light is bleeding from any part of the phone. Specially the bottom panel
    -Check if the keyboard at top buttons (the one plate you talk about) level with the rest of the phone. A lot of phones came back to our store as defective thanks to RIM's poor quality in Bold 9900
    -Check if the battery door has and tiny starches

My phone has already replaced by Telus within the first 24 hr of use thanks to light bleeding from the bottom. The new one I got seems to have a raised screen. (the top plate with call end, call , BB, back buttons are lower than the rest of the phone.) This is a defect in my opinion.

Having said that... I really like the form factor of Bold 9900. The larger keyboard makes it easy for me to type fast. I really like the OS 6.0 on my Bold 9700 but I hate the lag in processing. The new Bold 9900 has no issues with running OS 6.1 aka OS7.0. I really like the panel system of icons, while most people hate i.

I would go and buy one... If you like touch screen, you should also look in to the iPhone 4S.
    10-17-11 12:15 AM
    I don't like the panel connected to the keyboard because it doesn't sit flush to the screen. Most of the panels you see are higher than the screen so you feel an edge when you draw your finger down from the screen to the trackpad or to the panel. Some of the panels are lower than the screen and so the reverse occurs.
    This is a defect. You may be able to change your phone to a new one. In fact, this is a well documented defect. I have a lowered panel.... which also considered as defective.
    10-17-11 12:17 AM
    The call, menu, back, end call buttons are better in this way, durability is stronger and the feeling is there lol besides keyboard is nice, screen is wider, it is slimmer but gentle.

When you said your BB is workhorse, the only problem that comes in mind is the bat, but you can just buy the extra battery with charger.

I own a 9900 and when i hold my gf's 9780, it was like WTF!.
    10-17-11 12:26 AM
    This is a defect. You may be able to change your phone to a new one. In fact, this is a well documented defect. I have a lowered panel.... which also considered as defective.
    Correct. I replaced 2 because the panel was higher than the screen. The one I currently have is ever so slightly lower I would call it pretty much flush as you barely feel the transition moving your finger up to the screen. Due to the design flaw of having the keyboard connected to the panel I don't think you will find one that is perfecly flush where you can't feel some transition either up or down with your finger. I've seen about 40 units so far and this one is about as perfect as I've seen the panel being flush to the screen.

My trackpad is slightly turned counterclockwise but not enough to really notice without looking closely although the first one I had you could definitely tell it was counterclockwise. There is a thread and picture about that.

The trackpad light isn't bright white but rather it is dim white compared to the other keyboard buttons. It appears lavendar colored in a dark room.

Apart from these cosmetic issues the phone works great.
    10-17-11 12:43 AM
    The 9930 I bought with Sprint had these issues. I could feel the rought edges along the panel above the keyboard. The one I got with verizonwireless didn't have these issues but the trackpad looks a little crooked.

I not going to complain about it. I guess this stuff happens when you have a phone with moving parts.

10-17-11 01:41 AM
    I think you're being kind. Lots of electronic devices have moving parts and they don't come half -baked like this. As I said though, at the end of the day they are cosmetic and if you turn a blind eye to them the 9900 performs well.
    10-17-11 01:58 AM
    My screen is lower than the button panel. I put a screen protector on it and now it is pretty much flush. I think this is actually preferable to having the screen protector making a ridge when I move my thumb up to the touchscreen.

I see no flaws in the button panel being a single piece. I like it. It looks sleeker, feels more solid. Mine has not ever squeaked. I do miss the green/red Send/End colors, though.

I find the build quality in every way superior to my 9700. The steel trim keeps the entire device rigid; no flex or creak. It fits my hand perfectly. Even in the tear-down video I watched, there are far fewer parts and connections inside. I would feel comfortable taking this device apart and reassembling it. I never did so with my 9700. I have rebuilt a few 83xx devices, as well, so I'm not new to the task.

There does seem to be a lot of variance reported in build quality, so my opinion is anecdotal, at best, but it is what it is. My 9900 is solid.

10-17-11 02:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD