Rogers and/or Bell have had UMA available on previous BB phones. Does the 9900 have UMA? I am on TMobile U.S. and rumors abound that the TM 9900 will not have UMA.
    Thanks.
    08-10-11 03:09 PM
    What exactly is UMA?
    08-10-11 03:54 PM
    UMA is a feature on TMobile U.S. and one of the Canadian carriers (as well as a few others in the world) that routes your call over wifi rather than cell tower. It has been available on BB phones since the 8320. After the first time you connect to a wifi spot (like your home where there might be poor cell signal)) it will connect automatically to your wifi when at home and reconnect to cell tower when you leave. Those of us who travel overseas use it to call back home for "free" when on wifi - but I think the Canadian operator disables this feature when they detect you are on a foreign IP.
    ...mike
    08-10-11 05:33 PM
    No it doesn't have uma.
    08-10-11 05:34 PM
    No it doesn't have uma.
    Wonder why they dropped that? I can see TMobile dropping it since they will be going out of business (taken over by att), next year. I assume your previous berries all had UMA.
    Am I supposed to thank you for bad news?
    08-10-11 05:42 PM
    Confirmed that the UMA is not up for 7.0.0.296.

I know that when I had the 9700,there was a specific software update (and all subsequent releases, of course) where UMA popped up (even though I didn't have talk spot) .

I am thinking it's going to be the same thing.
    08-10-11 05:43 PM
    UMA - Unlicensed Mobile Access allows calls to be made over a WiFi connection. Bell hasn't offered it yet, only Rogers, though Bell will enable mobile hotspots, so it's a judgement call. Rogers said there would be a software update very soon that will allow UMA
    08-10-11 05:52 PM
    Rogers is the only Canadian carrier that offers UMA on their phones. You have to pay for it as well on your plan. Since I don't have it, I can't say for sure if the 9900 supports it or not but the 9780 did.

However, the 9780 had a 'Wi-Fi Preferred' option which does not exist in the current OS build on the 9900 so if you need that for UMA, then maybe UMA isn't available on the 9900... yet.
    08-10-11 06:26 PM
    From what I know, the 9900 is UMA capable, but it has to be supported by the carrier.
    08-10-11 06:31 PM
    Confirmed that the UMA is not up for 7.0.0.296.

I know that when I had the 9700,there was a specific software update (and all subsequent releases, of course) where UMA popped up (even though I didn't have talk spot) .

I am thinking it's going to be the same thing.

In reading this thread I have learned that Rogers does have UMA - but not (yet, anyway) on this phone.
    Every BB on TMobile U.S. has had UMA built in since the 8320 thru the 9780. It came that way with original OS versions up thru the latest 6.x updates on the 97xx phones.
    With TM, your minutes used came out of your minute bucket and were billed just as tho you were/are on a cell tower. I gather that in the last month or tow, TM no longer bills anything for UMA calls. (I have an unlimited plan, so I didn't really pay attention to this.)
    TM encourages use overseas to avoid roaming costs. I think I read that Rogers won't allow voice on a foreign IP.
    ...mike
    P.S. All TM BBs have 4 connection options:
    Mobile Only (cell tower)
    Mobile Preferred (will connect to wifi if no cell signal)
    Wifi Preferred
    Wifi Only
    08-10-11 07:37 PM
    I've only seen the UMA feature on the Rogers Wireless Network on non-flagship phones like some nokias, and the BlackBerry Pearl (3G maybe ).

Unlikely that something like UMA will be utilized on the BB Bold 9900
    08-11-11 07:17 AM
    I've only seen the UMA feature on the Rogers Wireless Network on non-flagship phones like some nokias, and the BlackBerry Pearl (3G maybe ).

Unlikely that something like UMA will be utilized on the BB Bold 9900
    It ill be, if your carrier supports it.
    Rogers has already announced it.
    08-11-11 04:17 PM
    UMA will be offered on the 9900 in a software update down the road.
    08-11-11 04:25 PM
    Every BB on TMobile U.S. has had UMA built in since the 8320 thru the 9780. It came that way with original OS versions up thru the latest 6.x updates on the 97xx phones.
    Just a quick clarification, my old 8120 has UMA calling, and had it since new when I purchased it in 2009.

.....and the BlackBerry Pearl (3G maybe ).
    My Pearl 8120 isn't 3g.
    08-26-11 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD