So I went by the VZW store the other day and got my hands on the 9930 for the first time. I was very impressed and almost bought it. However, I remembered that RIM hopefully will be releasing newer phones in the (hopefully) near future, so I held off buying.

So my question is this: Will the 9930 and other OS 7 phones be able to run the new OS when the BBX phones are released, or will they be obsolete in the near future?

Thanks for any help.
    01-05-12 11:49 AM
    They aren't going to be obsolete. This is RIM's flagship device...not only that but we all know how fast they push new devices out. Go get one, you won't be sorry.
    soxypirate likes this.
    01-05-12 11:55 AM
    Are you someone who wants a new device every year? If so, you need to know that RIM will not be releasing the QNX phones till the second half of 2012, if at all. As of today, these phones running OS7 will NOT be able to upgrade to the QNX OS...so people who want that will need the newer hardware.

That said, the 9930 is a great blackberry. Very fluid and fast, browser is leaps and bounds ahead.
    soxypirate likes this.
    01-05-12 11:58 AM
    Are you someone who wants a new device every year? If so, you need to know that RIM will not be releasing the QNX phones till the second half of 2012, if at all. As of today, these phones running OS7 will NOT be able to upgrade to the QNX OS...so people who want that will need the newer hardware.

That said, the 9930 is a great blackberry. Very fluid and fast, browser is leaps and bounds ahead.

Thanks. No, I don't get a new device every year. I'm at the end of my contract, trying to decide whether to upgrade now or later. I'll be graduating from law school in May and starting my own firm over the summer. The next phone I get will be the phone I use for my small business for the next 2 years (until my contract is up for renewal again).

I appreciate the info.
    01-05-12 12:04 PM
    You know, had someone asked me before I ever tried a blackberry what I would recommend, I would have answered the BB. After having tried the iP4 (and I'm in the medical field where critical info needs to be conveyed in a very timely manner), I'm not too sure. I would look at a device that will do all that you need while at the same time have specs which would hold its own. Tech is changing every day literally, so choose wisely. If emailing is the most important feature, then you should be leaning towards the bb. That too, if you do something like exchange attachments and need to edit them on the fly, then consider the bb. For all other aspects, look at the iP. I can't recommend the android OS or phone since I have not personally used one.
    01-05-12 12:08 PM
    They aren't going to be obsolete. This is RIM's flagship device...not only that but we all know how fast they push new devices out. Go get one, you won't be sorry.
    Obsolte was a poor word choice. I mean will the 9930 be to the BBX what the 9650 is to OS 7? I take it that it will.

That said, I still love my 9650, and I'm sure I"ll love the 9930 long after BBX.
    01-05-12 12:09 PM
    You know, had someone asked me before I ever tried a blackberry what I would recommend, I would have answered the BB. After having tried the iP4 (and I'm in the medical field where critical info needs to be conveyed in a very timely manner), I'm not too sure. I would look at a device that will do all that you need while at the same time have specs which would hold its own. Tech is changing every day literally, so choose wisely. If emailing is the most important feature, then you should be leaning towards the bb. That too, if you do something like exchange attachments and need to edit them on the fly, then consider the bb. For all other aspects, look at the iP. I can't recommend the android OS or phone since I have not personally used one.
    I appreciate the advice. Currently, I'm not considering switching platforms. I'm very happy with my BB.
    01-05-12 12:11 PM
    I appreciate the advice. Currently, I'm not considering switching platforms. I'm very happy with my BB.
    Great! I'm glad you know what you want. The 9930 is a great choice.
    01-05-12 12:15 PM
    the bold 9930 wont be able to run blackberry os10 (bbos10) because bbos10 requires different kind of hardware. we don't know exactly when bbos10 phones will be out. all we know is that it will be out later this year. you should go get the 9930. i think you will like it. i'm using one. my sister is using one and she is loving it. i'm going to get my mom one soon too.
    01-05-12 12:21 PM
    99xx won't be obsolete.
    99xx will not run BB10 %99.999
    01-05-12 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD