I'm going to New York City for a trip for 5 days and I was curious if anybody could point me in the right direction. I'm thinking about getting a 9900 and unlocking it to use while I'm there. I travelled to Portugal before with my unlocked 9700, which I don't own any more, and I was able to buy a SIM from Vodafone for 5 Euro's but it was only for voice. I would like to purchase a SIM to use while I'm in NYC but it needs to have data as well so I can use it to help me get around with the maps app or the browser to look up info. I'm currently on Rogers in Canada so if there's no solution I'll see if they can give me a temporary International Feature, but it will probably be ridiculously expensive if I know Rogers. Can somebody tell me which Carrier in NYC has a solution for me?

I apologize in advance if somebody already asked this question.

Regards.
    08-13-11 02:58 PM
    head to your local rogers store, purchase one, and then unlock it.
    Rogers will offer you an international plan, because i think USA carriers have stopped prepaid BIS.
    08-13-11 03:07 PM
    T-Mobile is the only GSM carrier in the US that offers prepaid BIS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 03:08 PM
    T-Mobile is the only GSM carrier in the US that offers prepaid BIS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    last time i called them to top up my flexpay sim they said i couldnt

it also cost me $80 the first time when i bought the SIM and data
    08-13-11 03:20 PM
    If you're with Rogers, you can get an data roaming package from them. You can a week's pass (7 days) for $25 and get 15MB of data. Sure it's expensive, but it's convenient and you don't need to get a new SIM in NYC.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad...e?tab2_content
    08-13-11 05:50 PM
    Is it me, or did T-Mobile change their prepaid offerings? I'm not seeing an option now to add on prepaid BB data.

I'm wondering whether you should just get an add-on from Rogers for the data and voice. For the sake of convenience, it might just be worth it to suck up the costs and get it.

If you were just going with voice, I'd vote for T-Mobile. At least with T-Mobile it would work up in Canada. AT&T's prepaid service doesn't work up here.
    08-13-11 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD