As we know, this amazing piece of machine may house a Memory: 8GB - 768MB RAM -

Now my question is, does that mean the applications can go anywhere on the 8GB or would it still be on the 768RAM? What about txt/emails etc...?
    02-26-11 01:46 PM
    As we know, this amazing piece of machine may house a Memory: 8GB - 768MB RAM -

Now my question is, does that mean the applications can go anywhere on the 8GB or would it still be on the 768RAM? What about txt/emails etc...?
    The RAM number actually tells you nothing useful. Apps, emails, all go into Flash. You install apps in the part of Flash that is normally know as application memory. The code only goes into RAM when you run them.

The rumored specs at the top of this forum says there is 4GB (not 8GB) of Flash. We don't know what part, if any, of that 4GB is application memory. We don't even know if that application memory "wall" even exists in OS 6.1, or if all 4GB is available for apps.

Summary: we don't know. Sorry.
    02-26-11 05:13 PM
    768MB of ram is a joke on a device that is supposed to be "great"

? how so?

Aren't many devices with more than that. Even the Optimus 3d only has 512mb.

Please explain to us the joke.
    02-26-11 07:35 PM
    ? how so?

Aren't many devices with more than that. Even the Optimus 3d only has 512mb.

Please explain to us the joke.
    I agree. The infamous iPhone 4 is sporting only 512mb of RAM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    02-26-11 08:21 PM
    The joke is tsecor is clueless, but he sure seems to hate the bold touch. The rounds are being made.
    02-26-11 08:33 PM
    Trollers using the old fashioned "BlackBerry is behind" reasoning for their reasoning. Tell me what phone can trump this in specs now and being released, I bet anyone that they cant give me 10 devices that can do that.

BlackBerry is slowly but surely catching up, but hopefully, we get to see 4G phones by year's end to complete the catch up.
    02-26-11 10:12 PM
    768mg of RAM is more than enough for a mobile phone.

Random Access Memory (RAM) is what the phone uses when it is running applications. Usually, nothing is stored permanently in RAM. That being the case, RAM is needed most when you are multi-tasking. That is why it is important to have plenty of RAM (generally 4gb min for modern pcs) in your laptop or work/home computer because you will sometimes have lots of things going on at once - playing a game, editing an Office doc, email, itunes, internet browser all open.

Multi-tasking is much less important on a mobile because generally users are only doing one or two things at once. So only a relatively small amount of RAM is required on a mobile phone.
    02-27-11 12:04 AM
    The RAM number actually tells you nothing useful. Apps, emails, all go into Flash. You install apps in the part of Flash that is normally know as application memory. The code only goes into RAM when you run them.

The rumored specs at the top of this forum says there is 4GB (not 8GB) of Flash. We don't know what part, if any, of that 4GB is application memory. We don't even know if that application memory "wall" even exists in OS 6.1, or if all 4GB is available for apps.

Summary: we don't know. Sorry.
    Everything I've read says 8GB, wonder why it says 4 in here. Seems misleading, I'll wait for fact, rather than speculation!
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 02-27-11 at 12:59 AM.
    02-27-11 12:56 AM
    6.1 is supposed to have a lot of advancements, so it may.
    But 6.1 is based off of 6.0 which had legacy limitations, so it may not.
    I've personally been flipping between "it 100% will" and "it 100% will NOT" many times. I flipped about ten times while writing this post
    Really the only people that know for sure is RIM.

So the only thing I can really think of is to check out my signature. (Mobile Friendly Link)
    02-27-11 02:26 AM
    All I know is I haven't come close to using the 512 mb of RAM in the Torch, so 768 will certainly do me just fine if that's 'all' it will have. I'm going to guess that the 8gb of internal memory will be for quicker access to music, media and other data files than you can get with a mem card. Since it will be able to shoot hi-def video, that quicker access will be more than just helpful, it will be necessary. If that memory can also be used for apps, so much the better, but no biggie if it can't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-11 04:22 AM
    I do think it's more than enough, but It might depend on gpu support. Since we do not yet know the chipset gaming still might be an option. Games are much larger downloads for the good stuff, but if it just runs like the Torch then your never gonna fill it with regular apps and data.
    02-27-11 07:44 AM
    I want the device now!
    03-01-11 10:49 AM
    768MB of ram is a joke on a device that is supposed to be "great"
    You are using the first model of a Curve and calling a future Bold a joke?!?

Its not like phones stop working if they don't have X amount of RAM, they just work slower.

Also, you can't measure RAM by just numbers, it would almost be like measure how black something is with inches.

Depending upon how the phone is engineered, is how it will use RAM.

8Gs of RAM on a supercomputer, would....not be super at all.
    8Gs of RAM on a laptop would be super fast.
    03-01-11 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD