I am about to do a trade for a blackberry bold 9900 but i have a few questions. My iphone 4 16GB and the persons Blackberry Bold 9900 are in like new condition with all original accessories in box. my questions/concerns are.

1. Is this a fair trade? especially considering he wants extra cash on top of the trade? (seems to me both the iphone 4 and blackberry bold go for the same price on ebay)

2. I think it is from T-Mobile which is not my carrier so will this give me issues if i want 4g connectivity?

3. given the fact that im going to be buying someone elses phone is this going to make it differcult/impossible for me to use since it is registered to them?

i posted this in the blackberry bold 9900 thread and im not sure why it got deleted but any helpful info would be nice
    12-09-11 10:23 PM
    1) If its a fair trade or not its up to you. I would say that depending on conditions of items and all, it could be fair, but the iPhone retails for more so don't give any cash, if anything, ask for some.

2) I am not sure if the T-Mo version also has the AT&T 4G/3G bands, but usually they don't so yes, you should swap for a an AT&T or Rogers version only.

3) No, but make sure the other party doesn't have his pin locked to T-Mobile. (There is still some confusion whether people need to clear their PIN/esn or just do a full wipe).

Final words: Don't do this trade, yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-11 10:32 PM
    1) If its a fair trade or not its up to you. I would say that depending on conditions of items and all, it could be fair, but the iPhone retails for more so don't give any cash, if anything, ask for some.

2) I am not sure if the T-Mo version also has the AT&T 4G/3G bands, but usually they don't so yes, you should swap for a an AT&T or Rogers version only.

3) No, but make sure the other party doesn't have his pin locked to T-Mobile. (There is still some confusion whether people need to clear their PIN/esn or just do a full wipe).

Final words: Don't do this trade, yet.

Thank you for this . so the 16gb Iphone 4 (not 4s) really retails for more than the Blackberry Bold 9900? .honestly when he said i needed to pay him $50 on top of the phone i was pretty angry and insulted, i know the blackberry is a great phone but he is getting this phone from me in mint condition and not only that its one of the most wanted phones and hes getting it at below retail price. i sent him an email asking if it was t-mobile or at&t and if the pin was locked but i kinda keep second guessing this whole thing since he was asking for money on top of it. i really want to tell him in email that i am not going to shell out $50 for a phone when its an equal trade but im just afraid he wont want to go through with the deal lol..plus if its an at&t phone paying $50 bucks for the bold would beat having to blow $500
    Last edited by Headphones1; 12-10-11 at 12:56 AM.
    12-10-11 12:50 AM
    Retail is one thing, what people pay for it is another. Check the prices online for a better opinion. Its also about what and how you use the phone for. If you want a media device, keep the iPhone 4, if you want a communication device, get the 9900.

12-10-11 02:45 AM
    I would tend to agree with Capitan Totti on this one; however in sayong that I switched from a white iphone 4 16Gb to a Bold 9900 at the start of the week and I love it. In fact the only downside is now I'm paranoid about scratching the bloody thing haha.

In regards to the cash - not being able to inspect both phones means I cannot be 100% sure of the wear & tear however if it is as you say I would not pay him anything extra. IPhones, as with most apple products retail very high. Not to say it means its a better phone but its true. Tell him to get over himself haha.

A word of warning: be sure to find out your carriers network bands and check if they are compatible with this perticular BB you are receiving. I'm not sure how it works in the US (you boys have the 9930 there) but in Australia there are really two different Bolds. One with 850, 1900 and 2100 bands and one with 900, 1900 and 2100 bands. If you get the wrong one for your carrier you may experience reception issues.

Oh and finally if your coming from and iPhone you should check if you can ad Blackberry Internet Service to your plan. A BB without BIS isn't being used to its full potential haha.

Good Luck!
    12-10-11 05:43 AM
    First of all you should be care about the carrier and the condition.
    If it's a T-mobile Blackberry is will work with 4G/3G/H+ speeds if the carrier you are using is transferring fast speeds on the bands that supported with the radio hardware on that device. there are 2 versions.
    Att Blackberry will work for Rogers and bell but with a t-mobile sim card you will get only EDGE (2G), the device should work fine on WIND, mobilicity and more worldwide carriers but with att you won't have the full speeds because the bands that used by the carriers are different for the high speeds.

Another important thing is to make sure that the device is not blocked or anything like that... so you can unlock it (if it's not unlocked yet) to use with your carrier's sim card. (ask him the send you a screenshot where you can see the SIM card personalization screen, it should be all disabled there if it's unlocked. if one of the lines is "active" you can get it unlocked remotely so it's not a big problem to get it done)

I don't think he should ask for more money... if he wants the get rid of the bb for an iphone trading is the best option for him.

maybe the best thing to do is just to find a blackberry to buy and sell your iphone, then buy it with the money you have from the selling.
    12-10-11 09:51 AM
    I'm also owning the bold 9900 (with Rogers) and I really love it, maybe cause I didn't experienced all the troubles some crackberry's'members did. But to be honest, even if I will never ever own an Iphone (I had the opportunity to get a free one from a friend but I told him to sell it), I think this guy is a fool to take you some money for this trade... I mean, no matter my bb-craving, the I4 is a great phone you could take with a certain peace of mind... The bold 9900 is a incredible device who comes with unusuals lacks and bugs for an high end device. I would never accept to trade mine for an other, even brand new, especially cause the high-rate of disappointed early buyers... Think about it and ask the other guy to try the phone for 24 hours if you know each other well.
    12-10-11 12:16 PM
    1) In my opinion this is a fair trade, because used Iphone 4 now is $300-$350. But the bold 9900 just came out and it costs $599 + tax at T-Mobile. If the 9900 is still in pristine condition and you prefer the bold 9900 to the iphone 4 then there is nothing to worry about. I sold my 9900 for $450 and I sold my iphone 4 for as low as $280. Iphone 4 locked to AT&T and verizon is very cheap in the U.S but if it is factory unlocked then it cost more especially outside The U.S.
    2) Get Rogers or AT&T 9900 or International verison band 1,2,5,6 if you are on AT&T
    3) Ask him to remove his pin lock to T-mobile if there is
    Last edited by thanhdang; 12-10-11 at 05:09 PM.
    12-10-11 04:56 PM
    wow! thank you all for this!. so much helpful info here!. i took all of this in, thought about it and i finally just emailed the guy (my anger got the best of me) and i told him that what he is asking for is insane and that im not giving him a single penny. i told him that i have a phone that he wants just as much as i want the blackberry so if he wants to trade then do so but don't expect me to be handing out any cash...seriously the nerve of some people. i probably blew the deal but it beats paying some snob who thinks he can charge that much for a phone thats of equal value on the market or maybe even alittle bit less
    12-10-11 05:21 PM
    1) In my opinion this is a fair trade, because used Iphone 4 now is $300-$350. But the bold 9900 just came out and it costs $599 + tax at T-Mobile. If the 9900 is still in pristine condition and you prefer the bold 9900 to the iphone 4 then there is nothing to worry about. I sold my 9900 for $450 and I sold my iphone 4 for as low as $280. Iphone 4 locked to AT&T and verizon is very cheap in the U.S but if it is factory unlocked then it cost more especially outside The U.S.
    2) Get Rogers or AT&T 9900 or International verison band 1,2,5,6 if you are on AT&T
    3) Ask him to remove his pin lock to T-mobile if there is
    hmm...lol now this has me worrying that i did the wrong thing then
    12-10-11 05:23 PM
    hmm...lol now this has me worrying that i did the wrong thing then
    Think about it. If your iphone 4 is factory unlocked then he has to add $50 or $100 cash on his end. in your case your phone is useless for using oversea (if you upgrade to IOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 gevey sim doesn't work on these new IOS). On the other hand, just $0.99 you can buy the code on Ebay to unlock the bold 9900 and you can bring it with you wherever you might be.
    12-10-11 05:31 PM
    Think about it. If your iphone 4 is factory unlocked then he has to add $50 or $100 cash on his end. in your case your phone is useless for using oversea (if you upgrade to IOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 gevey sim doesn't work on these new IOS). On the other hand, just $0.99 you can buy the code on Ebay to unlock the bold 9900 and you can bring it with you wherever you might be.
    well i guess its to late now to fix the deal..but at the same time i put up an add for my phone that stated trade only so i have no idea why this guy emailed me in the first place..he could of asked someone else..i guess the only thing that makes me feel alittle bit just now in saying what i did was that every blackberry bold 9900 on this website was going for only $350 ($400 max) so..plus the phone isn't even for him its for his gf...he may of spent money on this phone but i really think hes getting it back with this iphone..the bold may be a bit more new but its blackberry and while i love blackberry not many these days do and obviously he doesnt either..so i think that hurts the value a bit, i have been seeing most 9900's selling on ebay for around $350 to $400 and same for the iphone..its just a big confusing mess lol
    Last edited by Headphones1; 12-10-11 at 05:52 PM.
    12-10-11 05:48 PM
    well i guess its to late now to fix the deal..but at the same time i put up an add for my phone that stated trade only so i have no idea why this guy emailed me in the first place..he could of asked someone else..i guess the only thing that makes me feel alittle bit just now in saying what i did was that every blackberry bold 9900 on this website was going for only $350 ($400 max) so
    Please sign me up for one at $350 if their blackberry bold 9900 in good condition with box and accessories. I think they are selling at $350 because their bold 9900 has some minor wear and tear or it has some kind of problem. Anyway its up to you to make the decision. if someone has a good cosmetic and working condition 9900 and they want to trade with your iphone 4 do not hesitate and work out the deal with them. That's all i can say and good luck to you.
    12-10-11 06:00 PM
    Please sign me up for one at $350 if their blackberry bold 9900 in good condition with box and accessories. I think they are selling at $350 because their bold 9900 has some minor wear and tear or it has some kind of problem. Anyway its up to you to make the decision. if someone has a good cosmetic and working condition 9900 and they want to trade with your iphone 4 do not hesitate and work out the deal with them. That's all i can say and good luck to you.
    well if he doesn't want to just trade for the iphone and im gonna end up having to pay $450 for a used 9900 i might as well just goto at&t and buy one new because new they only retail for $550 but either way ill keep ya up to date..btw the ones in the ad's were supposively never used only opened to remove sim card so basically like new condition... i still stand by my thoughts on a bold 9900 being worth only about $350 to 400..if rim was one of the cool kids then i could see it being worth $450 $500 used but as it stands they arent and Apple, Motorola, Samsung are so trading a phone that has minimal apps and minimal customization some lag issues and isnt the "In" thing for one that has massive amounts of apps, customization, and is the "In" thing seems worth it to me...im gonna stop now as i think im repeating myself lol but thank you for the help
    12-10-11 06:31 PM
    I had one last question..appearently as ive been reading ive come across what seems like epidemic of 9900's bricking themselfs for no good reason..has there been a fix for this yet?
    12-12-11 01:24 AM
    Another good question.

I wonder if it was a certain batch of 9900's (when they were first released?) that suffered from this? And if so are these 'rogue' 9900's still out there in the wild?

And how would you know?
    12-12-11 02:09 AM
    Well, I am sure there are more 9900 that work fine than the ones that brick, but it is true, many have been having issues. Are they still out there? Can't tell..

So far, many "seem" to have bypassed the "nuking" with .540.
    12-12-11 02:35 AM
    ive been doing alot of reading on this nuke issue and it seems that most people have fixed it using the .503 update for the 9900..it seems to of worked rather well as ive found very few cases of anyone who has done the update having their phone nuke again. so question is, should anybody buying a new 9900 wipe it as soon as its out of box and install .503?
    12-12-11 06:55 PM
    You made the right choice. I just did the same thing with my i4 that's 3 months old and looks like it was just opened. The girl wanted me to give her 60 plus my phone. Told her we was nuts there was no trade mine retailed for 60 more then 9900. I'm keeping it and buying a bb outright or off eBay. Keeping the i4 to play on because I know from experience it just can't perform, can't attach to an email without saving a draft first. Seriously KMA apple. Bb does it just right.
    12-12-11 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD