Hi All,

Back in the day I heard that when you re-sell your blackberry device you had to call the carrier to the the PIN released if the new owner was going to use it on another carrier.

Is this still true for the newer devices?

I have a BB 9900 for Bell and it is unlocked, do I have to call Bell?

Thanks,
    10-14-11 07:51 AM
    My understanding is that you must release the pin, regardless of the carrier the buyer is going to use. Until you do, the new owner can't setup his email account, and worse, may continue to receive your emails.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
    SVietNam likes this.
    10-14-11 10:32 AM
    My understanding is that you must release the pin, regardless of the carrier the buyer is going to use. Until you do, the new owner can't setup his email account, and worse, may continue to receive your emails.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
    No, you DO NOT have to call your carrier when you sell a BB. You just have to do a security wipe. Then if you register your new phone with the same Blackberry ID, an error should pop out saying, "another PIN is registered under the same account, Do you want to delete and stop services to that account" or something like that. If you say yes, it will automatically release the old device. However this may take up to 24 hours to update all the BIS servers so, make sure you register your new phone at least a day before you sell.

I sold my old Bold 9700 and NEVER call Telus for it. The person who got it use it on Rogers and she had no issues registering emails or anything. I received an email from Blackberry saying that my release device was activated by another account as a warning. I just ignore it....

I don't know what happen if you sell your BB, but not buy another BB to release the old PIN and register the new one. Let's say I am moving to an Android from BB, I have no idea how to release my PIN because the only way I did it because when I register my new BB, it asked me do I want to delete and stop services to the old one.

Anyone here knows how? Telus told me its not their job.
    SVietNam likes this.
    10-14-11 12:38 PM
    Hi All,

Back in the day I heard that when you re-sell your blackberry device you had to call the carrier to the the PIN released if the new owner was going to use it on another carrier.

Is this still true for the newer devices?

I have a BB 9900 for Bell and it is unlocked, do I have to call Bell?

Thanks,
    No, you no longer have to do this.
    SVietNam likes this.
    10-14-11 12:41 PM
    Not on verizon, either. I bought a storm (OOOPS) from a freind once, sold a CUrve and a BOld and like the other guy said, just did security wipes.
    SVietNam likes this.
    10-14-11 01:05 PM
    I have never released a pin before and I have sold over 5 bb so far. I'm on verizon if that matters and I sold a curve 8830, storm 1, 9630, and 2 9650s.
    SVietNam likes this.
    10-14-11 01:15 PM
    I called the carrier to delete my BIS account when I sold my 9630. From what I understood a security wipe on the phone does not dissociate the BIS account and the device IMEI.

Maybe this has changed, but I can see how a device security wipe will delete a BIS account tied to that device. If it's a new feature, that is great!

I would call just to be sure. Better than risk having the buyer locked out from activating a new BIS account with that device.
    SVietNam likes this.
    10-14-11 01:18 PM
    I am with T-Mobile, and I am thinking of switching over AT&T.
    I have two Blackberries on T-Mo now, and I am wondering if, just to be safe, I should call CS to release the pins now, while I am still with them, or if I can still do so after, once moved, and will they give me $hit? Or is it usually a smooth transaction? Thanks
    11-17-11 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD