I took a look at the specs and have a question about the support bands. They are listed as:

• Tri-BandHSPA+,Quad-BandGSM/EDGE (9900)
    • Dual-BandCDMA/EV-DORev.A,Dual-BandHSPA+,Quad-Band GSM/EDGE (9930)

Clearly if you want a world phone you're going to buy a 9930. There is once difference though I don't understand. If you drop the CDMA bands and the GSM bands from both phones you're left with:

• Tri-BandHSPA+(9900)
    • Dual-BandHSPA+ (9930)

What does this mean? Does it mean the 9900 can get true 4G and the 9930 is limited to LTE (3.5G)?

I'm going from memory on the above question. Forgive me if I've mixed up LTE, 4G and the other term they are using for "4G" these days. Is it HSPA+?

I'm personally looking for a world phone I can take from Canada down to the US and use on any of their networks and get at least 3G speeds. I think the Bold 9930 is it and I can't wait
    05-19-11 04:13 PM
    I took a look at the specs and have a question about the support bands. They are listed as:

• Tri-BandHSPA+,Quad-BandGSM/EDGE (9900)
    • Dual-BandCDMA/EV-DORev.A,Dual-BandHSPA+,Quad-Band GSM/EDGE (9930)

Clearly if you want a world phone you're going to buy a 9930. There is once difference though I don't understand. If you drop the CDMA bands and the GSM bands from both phones you're left with:

• Tri-BandHSPA+(9900)
    • Dual-BandHSPA+ (9930)

What does this mean? Does it mean the 9900 can get true 4G and the 9930 is limited to LTE (3.5G)?

I'm going from memory on the above question. Forgive me if I've mixed up LTE, 4G and the other term they are using for "4G" these days. Is it HSPA+?

I'm personally looking for a world phone I can take from Canada down to the US and use on any of their networks and get at least 3G speeds. I think the Bold 9930 is it and I can't wait
    If you are looking for a world phone, you have to buy it from Rogers, which is 9900.. I am with Telus and unfortunately I am stuck in a 3 year contact (2 more years to go). Rogers is a based on GSM system.

However, I am not educated enough to know the difference either... hope someone from CrackBerry help us out here. I read several posts related to this topic but I am still confused.

Thank you for the great Thread you started.
    05-19-11 04:30 PM
    If you are looking for a world phone, you have to buy it from Rogers, which is 9900.. I am with Telus and unfortunately I am stuck in a 3 year contact (2 more years to go). Rogers is a based on GSM system.

However, I am not educated enough to know the difference either... hope someone from CrackBerry help us out here. I read several posts related to this topic but I am still confused.

Thank you for the great Thread you started.
    No problem. I took a quick look and couldn't find a clear answer myself and was really curious.

Isn't a world phone considered a phone that can use GSM and CDMA bands?

Rogers will more then likely be getting only the 9900 which if I'm reading correctly is a GSM only phone.

That won't help me when I go to the US and try to use, say, T-Mobile. I figured the 9930 would be the best choice because it would give me full access to the Rogers network up in Canada (where I live) and then access to CDMA networks in the US.

I buy my Blackberry's outright and then spend $10 to unlock them so fortunately I'm not stuck in a contract or on a carrier. I'm expecting I'll have to buy a 9930 of eBay but if Telus gets them I could try buying it outright from a Telus booth I guess.
    05-19-11 04:39 PM
    Actually MSS your 9700 is a world phone, it is just that Telus doesnt have an EDGE GSM Backbone like Rogers does and it strictly HSPA+. I dont know who gave you your information, but they are very wrong, and you have been mis informed. It doesnt matter who you buy it from, it will be a world phone. Whether it be Telus, Rogers or Bell. Just watch out for WIND because they use AWS Spectrum.

GSM/EDGE are the world standard and the phone have that as their standard radios, and both phones will work internationally.

North America, mainly the USA has some of the only carriers currently working on pure CDMA networks still as Bell and Telus have gone to HSPA+

They are both Quad Band edge for all Mhz support world wide, and the 9900 has tri band HSPA+ and the 9930 has only dual band because its primary operation is on a CDMA network, but has the WORLD bands on it for when travlelling.

I hope that isnt too confusing, but they are BOTH world phones, and one that has CDMA only helps if your carrier is VZW, Sprint, or one of their subsidiaries.

If you travel to the USA, you can use ATT's 3G bands but you can use BOTH ATT and T-Mo's Edge BAnds.

I am on Bell with my 9700 and I goto the states once a week and get perfect signal when roaming on both networks.

If you have a Bell, Rogers or Telus 9900 you can use ATT's 3G, but if you have a Wind 9900 you can use TMO's 3G as they use AWS.

If you have a Sprint/VZW 9930 you can Roam on Rogers in Canada, or other carriers world wide on EDGE
    Last edited by Fubaz; 05-19-11 at 05:12 PM.
    mssca likes this.
    05-19-11 04:55 PM
    If you travel to the USA, you can use ATT's 3G bands but you can use BOTH ATT and T-Mo's Edge BAnds.

I am on Bell with my 9700 and I goto the states once a week and get perfect signal when roaming on both networks.

If you have a Bell, Rogers or Telus 9900 you can use ATT's 3G, but if you have a Wind 9900 you can use TMO's 3G as they use AWS.

If you have a Sprint/VZW 9930 you can Roam on Rogers in Canada, or other carriers world wide on EDGE
    Thank you soooo much for the info. But Rogers will only get 9900 while Telus/Bell will get 9930. So, how could all, "Bell, Rogers or Telus" "can use ATT's 3G"?
    05-19-11 05:34 PM
    No problem. I took a quick look and couldn't find a clear answer myself and was really curious.

Isn't a world phone considered a phone that can use GSM and CDMA bands?

Rogers will more then likely be getting only the 9900 which if I'm reading correctly is a GSM only phone.

That won't help me when I go to the US and try to use, say, T-Mobile. I figured the 9930 would be the best choice because it would give me full access to the Rogers network up in Canada (where I live) and then access to CDMA networks in the US.

I buy my Blackberry's outright and then spend $10 to unlock them so fortunately I'm not stuck in a contract or on a carrier. I'm expecting I'll have to buy a 9930 of eBay but if Telus gets them I could try buying it outright from a Telus booth I guess.
    If you want to save some money when you buy, look into BestBuy Canada Mobile deals in your area. My mom just got a 9780 and we received a $200.00 gift card plus free phone from Telus. The free phone part actually is from Telus but $200.00 is from BestBuy. Even if you don't go for a three year contract, you may be eligible for at least $50 gift card. Oh.. I work part time at BestBuy.
    05-19-11 05:38 PM
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm confused also.
    If I get a Verizon 9930 in the US, I can pop in
    a SIM card when I'm overseas and use GSM?
    If so is there roaming?

What if I buy an unlocked OEM 9930 (no logo or carrier) can I use here
    on VZ CDMA and GSM outside US??
    05-19-11 06:02 PM
    Just to chime in with my two cents here...I was always under the impression that the World Phones (8830, 9930) were primarily intended for CDMA customers (VZW, Sprint) and that the added SIM card and GSM capability was intended for use when travelling to areas where GSM is the only radio available (i.e., pretty much the rest of the world). I have not heard of anyone buying a World Phone for use primarily on a GSM network with occasional use on a CDMA network - mostly because the CDMA system requires the hardware to be registered OTA and typically does not get transferred between carriers like VZW and Sprint. Whereas with a GSM system, you can pop in any old SIM card and register on the network (assuming no subsidy lock on hardware).

Also, to the OP's later question - AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM carriers. The only CDMA carriers (that I know of anyway) are VZW and Sprint. So if you have a GSM carrier in Canada, you should be able to unlock your phone and use a prepaid SIM when traveling to the States...no need to fuss with CDMA.
    05-19-11 06:19 PM
    Just to let everyone know. They will not sell a 9930 unlocked in the US. It will only be on Verizon and Sprint (just like the bold) and the 9900 will most likely go to Tmo and ATT. You will be able to find 9900 unlocked and you will be able to unlock 9930, but you will not be able to buy an unbranded 9930.
    05-19-11 06:43 PM
    Just to chime in with my two cents here...I was always under the impression that the World Phones (8830, 9930) were primarily intended for CDMA customers (VZW, Sprint) and that the added SIM card and GSM capability was intended for use when travelling to areas where GSM is the only radio available (i.e., pretty much the rest of the world).
    Indeed, no gsm carriers feel the need to label their devices as world phones since they are all automatically world phones as standard.
    05-19-11 07:43 PM
    I feel like this thread is full of the same question over and over again but just so I'M sure, here goes. I'm with vzw, I get the 9930 the day it comes out. In theory could I also find a way to unlock the phone later that night and use my business provided t-mobile phone's SIM card and run off of t-mobile's bands? Or even better, one phone 2 numbers?!?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 03:12 AM
    I feel like this thread is full of the same question over and over again but just so I'M sure, here goes. I'm with vzw, I get the 9930 the day it comes out. In theory could I also find a way to unlock the phone later that night and use my business provided t-mobile phone's SIM card and run off of t-mobile's bands? Or even better, one phone 2 numbers?!?

This is my question also. I'm still not clear. Can someone please explain the 9930 "world phone" capability? I'm on Verizon, does that mean I can use my 9930 with a SIM card when overseas. Or if I unlock it can use I use CDMA in the states and GSM in other countries??

Thank you in advance!
    05-20-11 08:06 AM
    Nothin, nobody can clear this up?
    05-28-11 04:45 AM
    So does the CDMA 9930 have a physical SIM card slot also. I'm reading it does GSM as well? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    05-28-11 10:37 AM
    To make it easy, anyone with home network on what I will loosely call "CDMA" now will need the 9930. All others should go for the 9900, because the Dual-BandCDMA/EV-DORev.A part of the 9930 will be completely useless to them. The CDMA networks will only provide service to their own customers, and maybe customers of other CDMA networks if they have a roaming agreement in place.

In simple terms, check your home network's roaming agreements, and make sure the deal is fully two-way rather than simply supporting Verizon customers roaming onto GSM bands.
    pkcable likes this.
    05-28-11 08:29 PM
    To make it easy, anyone with home network on what I will loosely call "CDMA" now will need the 9930. All others should go for the 9900, because the Dual-BandCDMA/EV-DORev.A part of the 9930 will be completely useless to them. The CDMA networks will only provide service to their own customers, and maybe customers of other CDMA networks if they have a roaming agreement in place.

In simple terms, check your home network's roaming agreements, and make sure the deal is fully two-way rather than simply supporting Verizon customers roaming onto GSM bands.
    So sorry if I'm still not clear. How does a CDMA 9930 roam on GSM bands?
    Does it accept physical SIM card?? Thanks again
    05-28-11 08:47 PM
    yes it has a sim card with cdma antennas and gsm antennas and will usually run on cdma if ur carrier is to run on cdma. Then if u need it to when ur in a different country it can run on gsm and yes the sim card can be swapped out to support the different countries service and data.
    05-28-11 10:30 PM
    My friend had a Tour on Bell. It has a sim card but if you take out the sim card, the phone still has full network. I believe it runs on Bell CDMA network while in Canada. However, if he crossed the border to the US, then the sim card allows him to roam on a US carrier's network. I believe that's how the 9930 would function.

05-29-11 01:53 PM

This is my question also. I'm still not clear. Can someone please explain the 9930 "world phone" capability? I'm on Verizon, does that mean I can use my 9930 with a SIM card when overseas. Or if I unlock it can use I use CDMA in the states and GSM in other countries??

Thank you in advance!
    Yes. If you call VZW and have it unlocked. As long as your account is in good standing they will unlock it.
    Then when you go overseas you can buy a prepaid sim, install it, change your settings to GSM, and you are done.

I have done this with my 8830 and my 9650. Works like a charm
    05-29-11 07:07 PM
    Yes. If you call VZW and have it unlocked. As long as your account is in good standing they will unlock it.
    Then when you go overseas you can buy a prepaid sim, install it, change your settings to GSM, and you are done.

I have done this with my 8830 and my 9650. Works like a charm
    Thank you everyone for the input and great info!
    05-30-11 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD