As somebody who has been a huge Blackberry supporter for the last five a half years, I've been holding off on re-upgrading my Blackberry Bold 9000 for the new release of the 9900 or 9930. But is it true that these devices are not going to be available for AT&T users? I do not like the Torch one bit! I also prefer the Bold QWERTY pad compared to the Curves or Pearls.

So, not wanting to switch carriers as I've been with AT&T for 10 years... what is a person to do? I called Best Buy and the only thing that they were offering was the new Torch. I'm on a family plan with a really reasonable rate for unlimited everything. So I guess the question is if I want to get my hands on a 9900 or 9930 with the 7 OS, do I HAVE to switch carriers? Or do I make a measly little jump to the Bold 9700, or buy a new battery for the Bold 9000??

Oh, the dilemmas.

Any other AT&T users not happy with the limited release or am I just not getting all the information?
    08-19-11 03:22 PM
    Yes the Bold 9900 is coming to ATT, but probably not till Nov, for now they are going to focus on the new Torch model the 9810. You DO have an option however IF you are willing to pay. You can pick up a Canadian 9900 from Rogers, Bell or Telus, and get it unlocked, and use it with an ATT SIM card. You will need the assistance of a Canadian friend, and you will need to pay full retail.
    rktate likes this.
    08-19-11 03:25 PM
    Who said ATT isn't getting it? Where did u get that information?
    08-19-11 03:28 PM
    Like you I had been a loyal ATT since cell phones came out. ATT will NOT have 9900 till END of Nov....if then. They are determined to shove the Torch and iPhone down your throat.
    I simpley payed $50 penalty and last Mon ordered the 9930 and had it in my hand on Tue and don't think I will look back. Unfortunately I had to leave my wife and mom with ATT becasue I couldn't write off the $300 it would cost to break their ATT contract.
    Go ahead make the move....Verizon is every bit as good and maybe better coverage in my opinion.
    08-19-11 03:33 PM
    As somebody who has been a huge Blackberry supporter for the last five a half years, I've been holding off on re-upgrading my Blackberry Bold 9000 for the new release of the 9900 or 9930. But is it true that these devices are not going to be available for AT&T users? I do not like the Torch one bit! I also prefer the Bold QWERTY pad compared to the Curves or Pearls.

So, not wanting to switch carriers as I've been with AT&T for 10 years... what is a person to do? I called Best Buy and the only thing that they were offering was the new Torch. I'm on a family plan with a really reasonable rate for unlimited everything. So I guess the question is if I want to get my hands on a 9900 or 9930 with the 7 OS, do I HAVE to switch carriers? Or do I make a measly little jump to the Bold 9700, or buy a new battery for the Bold 9000??

Oh, the dilemmas.

Any other AT&T users not happy with the limited release or am I just not getting all the information?
    If you do not want to wait for AT&T to release it on their network, you can always go to Sprint or Verizon.
    08-19-11 03:33 PM
    Yes switching to Verizon, or Sprint with the 9930 is also an option. And you can get a 9900 on TMobile end of August if you prefer to remain GSM, and get their 4G, BUT rumor has it, Tmobile is charging more money up front for the device. BUT Tmo has good rates
    08-19-11 03:36 PM
    Some say that AT&T will launch the 9900 next week, but you can only check online or call next week to know for sure.
    08-19-11 03:39 PM
    I've been on the "lousy" AT&T GSM network since it was Cingular and used the opportunity of the 9930 to finally make the move to Verizon. It operates globally. Just for kicks I put my AT&T SIM card (and after unlocking) it works there too.
    08-19-11 03:44 PM
    You can get a Blackberry Bold 9900 from any GSM carrier (or from ebay / crackberry marketplace) and get it unlocked to be used with AT&T...

At&t is a GSM carriers that uses sim cards with their devices (same as T-Mobile) so all you need is a 9900 GSM unlocked device and it will work with your AT&T sim card.
    rktate likes this.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that you cannot use voice and data simultaneously on VZW or Sprint's mobile networks. The only way is if you use WiFI for the data. That is a limitation of CDMA.
    rktate likes this.
    You can get a Blackberry Bold 9900 from any GSM carrier (or from ebay / crackberry marketplace) and get it unlocked to be used with AT&T...

At&t is a GSM carriers that uses sim cards with their devices (same as T-Mobile) so all you need is a 9900 GSM unlocked device and it will work with your AT&T sim card.
    A T-Mobile USA branded device will only get EDGE on AT&T, not 3G, since T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequency bands.
    rktate likes this.
    08-19-11 03:46 PM
    Who said ATT isn't getting it? Where did u get that information?
    I have been on the AT&T site, I've been on the Blackberry site, I called the local Best Buy, and also the local AT&T dealer... the only thing that they are selling is a Torch new version. As a matter of fact at Best Buy I can't even get my hands on any Bold. Just from my research, I think that reading this thread and the one below that AT&T will launch the 9900 Bold in November, which makes absolutely no sense to me.
    08-19-11 03:50 PM
    Like you I had been a loyal ATT since cell phones came out. ATT will NOT have 9900 till END of Nov....if then. They are determined to shove the Torch and iPhone down your throat.
    I simpley payed $50 penalty and last Mon ordered the 9930 and had it in my hand on Tue and don't think I will look back. Unfortunately I had to leave my wife and mom with ATT becasue I couldn't write off the $300 it would cost to break their ATT contract.
    Go ahead make the move....Verizon is every bit as good and maybe better coverage in my opinion.
    Wow, sounds like you and I are exactly in the same position. I do not want to leave AT&T, since like you I don't want to break the contract and leave my mother and sister by themselves. I know that Verizon is good, but a few questions. As somebody posted down below, are you able to use Verizon service to talk on the phone and access data at the same time? Also, since AT&T has now introduced the free mobile to mobile regardless of carrier, do Verizon and Sprint have the same options? If the only penalty that I would have to pay is $50 to have my own plan and be rest assured, I would do it today. But if I cannot get on my e-mail, Facebook, Internet and talk at the same time and it's true that AT&T will be coming out with the Bold in November, it may be worth waiting. I just don't know as everybody here has alluded to that it doesn't make sense. Why would they let other carriers launch this brand-new outstanding model and with the company that just gobbled up T-Mobile, they may lose a lot of customers like yourself. I have been with them since they were Cingular. And it almost feels treacherous to leave AT&T is much as it would be to go out and grab the iPhone. But thank you, at least I know there are some options without having to wait.
    08-19-11 03:59 PM
    AT&T fails. im currently still locked with them for one more year. Their phone lineup/selection since the 9700 has been utterly poor. Their plans are even worse.
    08-19-11 03:59 PM
    I've been on the "lousy" AT&T GSM network since it was Cingular and used the opportunity of the 9930 to finally make the move to Verizon. It operates globally. Just for kicks I put my AT&T SIM card (and after unlocking) it works there too.
    living in an urban area, St. Louis, I can access 3G coverage anywhere that I need to be. And since a lot of times I work from home, I can obviously pull WiFi. And like you I've been with AT&T since it was Cingular, but as I asked another user that was so kind to explain their decision, what are the major differences in terms of usage between the Bold 9000/9700 with the AT&T network, and operating the Verizon 9930 in terms of data, voice, plans... I really think with the rollover program, the unlimited data for 25 bucks a month, and the free mobile to mobile regardless of carrier for about $100 is a great deal. I don't think it over 3 1/2 years I've ever gone over my usage. But I do see the advertisements that brag about being able to be on the phone and access the Internet at the same time, it would seem that Verizon and Sprint would be able to do the same thing but I'm just not sure. How has your experience been?
    08-19-11 04:06 PM
    FINALLY, reached a retail rep at the local AT&T store who is able to be very honest with me and said that they do not know when AT&T is going to make the Bold 9900 available but that rumor has it it should be out by the end of September and available for AT&T users. I guess I've waited this long, and as he put it, but Bold 9000 was released in October of 08, the Bold 9700 was released in October of 2009 I believe he said, so the Bold 9900 could reasonably be expected to hit the shelves by October of 2011. Makes sense to me.

Hope that helps.
    08-19-11 04:20 PM
    Some say that AT&T will launch the 9900 next week, but you can only check online or call next week to know for sure.
    No, it won't. PG and Crucial Extreme have already stated it is not ready yet. The roadmap is showing October or November.
    08-19-11 05:12 PM
    actually the original was released in november 4 2008.its been 3 years and obviously things have changed.but cx/pg have said right now its field testing.if field testing goes well,october is most likely as soon you can expect.if not,then its november.as for me,im going to stay loyal to at&t.i never had bad service with them and their customer service is very nice.im going to wait for the i5/bold/9860/9810 all in the store at the same time.i think at&t doesn't want to spoil the i5 super party.they want that to be their priority first.and who can blame them.its their A1 tier device.no way im going dish out that dough to rogers(robbers) or any canadian carrier and unlock it. and i like gsm better than cdma so no verizon for me.tmo not worth it since merger talks surround it.
    rktate likes this.
    08-19-11 06:41 PM
    This is just so unfortunate..
    08-19-11 10:53 PM
    It is still tracking to a most likely October release.

PG
    08-19-11 10:59 PM
    As much as I want the 9900, I may have to skip this one. An October/November release is way too late for me to buy it and then jump over to a QNX device months later.

Was tempted to port over to Verizon, but then I'd lose my grandfathered Data plan - and Im not into the no data/voice on CDMA. Then theres the option of buying 1 from our neighbors up north, but I'm reluctant seeing my experience with my Rogers 9780 currently. Never was able to get vvm working, and the keyboard issue drives me nuts. My 9780 is the worst BB I've owned.
    08-19-11 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD