hello.

i will be traveling to Seoul, Korea this month for about 3 weeks and was wondering how i could most efficiently use my phone while i'm there. it would be great if i could continue to receive my emails while I'm there, but I'm guessing it would be very costly for data usage internationally.

what would be my options while I'm there? i know if i get a temporary prepaid phone at the airport, it would only cost about $40 to use for the 3 weeks.
    12-07-11 05:19 AM
    if you want to ise your 9930 then u have to get international roaming activate on it, Verizon care will help you on that. If u have an unlocked device you can get a prepaid card when you get reach korea and then activate bb on it. 9930 is world phone it supports both GSM and CDMA.
    12-07-11 05:36 AM
    Verizon has standard rates of $1.99/min, so i definitely won't be making calls on my phone. data is not too bad -- its $30 for 50mb, or $75 for 150mb, so i will need to activate this.

how would i go about unlocking my phone? and what kind of prepaid card would i need to get? if i were to get a sim card in Korea, would i still be able to use the data plan?
    12-07-11 03:21 PM
    You could get the prepaid phone for most of your calls and keep your Verizon phone for when people need to get in touch with you and emails.

If you have the mobile roaming data off, you should still be able to get your emails when connected via wifi. I had a friend do this a few years ago at a resort in Mexico and he would get his emails anytime he went through the resorts lobby and the phone got wifi.

Depending on your situation in life, using a pay as you go card in your existing Blackberry may be a false economy if it means missing an important call for the sake of $1.99 per minute. An example would be calls from home by people that do not have your temp phone number.
    12-07-11 03:50 PM
    For information about unlocking see this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-guide-431356/ Best of luck.
    12-07-11 04:29 PM
    ok, so i guess this is my plan...

i will pay the $30 for 50mb on the international data plan. obviously this is nothing and i can run through it with 25-50 emails with attachments. so i will turn off my mobile data most of the time, and only receive emails when i have WiFi access. to turn off the regular mobile data service, I'm guessing i just go to the manage connections menu and uncheck the mobile network box -- and leave the WiFi box checked.

for my phone calls, i will have to get a prepaid phone at the airport. i think this would be the cheapest way to do it. i think you get close to 500 minutes for 50 bucks or so. i will have to pick up a phone card to call internationally.

seems like i have to do a lot
    12-15-11 01:45 AM
    ya thats true, but then you could just get your bold unlocked and put a prepaid sim card in it when you reach your destination and use wifi to access your mail, install opera browser you don't need BIS service to access content through it, just put in the APN in settings.
    12-15-11 02:34 AM
    Unlocking and getting local BIS enabled SIM Card would be more cheaper and efficient..
    if unlocking is cheaper and your wireless carrier permits it.
    Unlocking is one time solution too.
    12-15-11 02:39 AM
    just call Verizon and tell them to unlock your phone. They'll give you the unlock code and presto! When you get to SK, get a prepaid SIM card and put it in the 9930 and you're ready to go. As for data, if you really need it, use wifi-it's free
    12-15-11 01:29 PM
    ok thanks guys.

but watt's the difference between a BIS sim card and a normal one? would it be a lot more expensive to get the BIS? i definitely will need to send and receive email -- but i am going to try to keep it at a minimum.
    12-15-11 04:54 PM
    ok thanks guys.

but watt's the difference between a BIS sim card and a normal one? would it be a lot more expensive to get the BIS? i definitely will need to send and receive email -- but i am going to try to keep it at a minimum.

There is no difference as such in the Sim cards, BIS i.e Blackberry Internet Service is provisioned on a sim card, so basically any any sim card can have BIS but the Service Operator has to provision it.
    12-16-11 08:59 AM
    so i did a search on the internet and these are the rates i saw for rental phones...
    Registration Fee Free
    Phone Rental Fee 2,700 KRW/Day
    Calling Rates Domestic Calls 90 KRW/10 Sec
    International Calls China : 960 KRW/Min
    United States : 720 KRW/Min
    Japan : 864 KRW/Min
    Incoming Calls Free
    SMS(Text Message) Domestic : 100 KRW/Message
    International : 300 KRW/Message
    Incoming: Free

if i stay 1 month, it will be about 80$ if i don't make any outgoing calls -- i actually will be making a ton of outgoing calls, so I'm looking more at $160. what do you think the rates are for a prepaid BIS sim card? the only reason i would get the rental phone over the BIS, is because i can text message in Korea with the rental.
    12-19-11 06:01 PM
    also, if i were to buy a sim card, could i re-use the sim card as many times as i want? or is it a one time thing?
    12-20-11 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD