Not sure if this has been asked before, but os it possible this bold touch will support QNX if it releases next year?
    04-04-11 06:41 PM
    i think it maybe will because bold touch is os 6.1. blackberry os 7 highlander is a mesh between qnx and os 6.1. but nothing is certain until qnx arrives on blackberry.
    04-04-11 06:53 PM
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but os it possible this bold touch will support QNX if it releases next year?
    Yup, it's been asked all over the place.

Nope, the next batch of phones coming out this year will not support QNX. QNX is happy on multi-core processors; phones coming out this year are all single-core, but they should still be pretty quick.

i think it maybe will because bold touch is os 6.1. blackberry os 7 highlander is a mesh between qnx and os 6.1. but nothing is certain until qnx arrives on blackberry.
    I'm pretty sure it's just elements of the UI from 6.1 and maybe some newly introduced functionality (like Bridge and tethering apps, etc. packaged in the OS) that will be carried over to OS 7.
    04-04-11 06:54 PM
    Yup, it's been asked all over the place.

Nope, the next batch of phones coming out this year will not support QNX. QNX is happy on multi-core processors; phones coming out this year are all single-core, but they should still be pretty quick.

I'm pretty sure it's just elements of the UI from 6.1 and maybe some newly introduced functionality (like Bridge and tethering apps, etc. packaged in the OS) that will be carried over to OS 7.
    I mean everywhere says "QNX" is all about the multi-core processors, but its just been running on a BlackBerry Playbook whose screen is more than 6 times the screen of a normal blackberry.. I don't know too much about QNX or all of that mumbo jumbo, but they can surly develop a QNX OS that is scaled down a bit and can get running on the Bold-Touch I believe.. Remember how many people thought that there was no way in **** OS6. would run on the 9700 and people were worried about even getting it on the 9650 etc. QNX is very versatile and I'm sure that they can figure something out if it is just scaling it back or what, but I feel that you saying "Nope, the next batch of phones coming out this year will not support QNX." Is kind of a premature jump to a disheartening conclusion. I mean I will completely agree with you if you were one of the developers for the QNX OS, but as it stands, whose to say they can't just tune it down a bit and make it run on normal smartphones like this one with a single core at 1.2ghz?
    04-04-11 11:13 PM
    @flip4life4751 if they could make a scaled-down version of QNX for single core, couldn't they also have made a scaled-down OS6 for storm2 phones? I don't think its a question of IF they can. Its more of "will they?" Do they stand to make more or less money by making an OS backward compatible? Because in the long-haul thats all its about for them, right?
    Although I hope you are right and it is compatible, because I don't wanted to get shafted by 2 OS's in a row!
    04-05-11 12:50 AM
    @flip4life4751 if they could make a scaled-down version of QNX for single core, couldn't they also have made a scaled-down OS6 for storm2 phones? I don't think its a question of IF they can. Its more of "will they?" Do they stand to make more or less money by making an OS backward compatible? Because in the long-haul thats all its about for them, right?
    Although I hope you are right and it is compatible, because I don't wanted to get shafted by 2 OS's in a row!

True, however it is rumoured that the new curve will run os 6.1 lite. So maybe their will also be a lite QNX if that is the way rim is going.
    04-05-11 01:50 AM
    fingers crossed
    04-05-11 02:15 AM
    A qnx lite would make sense because dualcore will not make sense for mid to low end products such as the curve range unless we see them continuing to produce 6.x devices which wouldn't make a lot of sense since it would be splitting their development needlessly. Now obviously even if they did make a single core qnx, that doesn't mean for certain that these new devices would get it, but you do have to think that they would be aware of the bad feeling it would generate if devices were abandoned so quickly despite being reasonably high spec by that time.
    04-05-11 03:41 AM
    Well. To be completely honest, I feel like you are comparing apples to oranges.. QNX is a completely new OS,whereas 6.0 is but a meere upgrade. Why would they waste their time developing a scaled down OS6.0 for the older phones, because a scaled down OS6.0 is 5.0 pretty much.. We are talking about an entirely different OS with QNX.. Not just a little upgrade like with 6.0 was.. Not to mention, I'm sure it is probably much easier to develop a scaled down version of QNX.. It is all new coding.. Blackberry OS's currently is turning into pretty old technology, so why would they waste their time developing a scaled down minoR 6.0 upgrade, when they probably rather spent that time working on QNX development.. I know a little bit about programming and it's easier to work with current technology when it comes to scaling something back rather than waste their time and beat a dead bird (6.0) to make a few old curve users happy, when time could be much better spend developing QNX and maybe a QNX lite version.. I know no more than anyone else here, but I feel like throwing away the idea of QNX on a single core although weaker, it isn't a piece of crap processor,whereas the old curves and whatnot deffinately are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-11 06:21 AM
    The devices that could lead to the os6.1 devices getting a qnx lite are the 2012 curves as it just seems very unlikely those are going to be running on dualcore processors.
    04-05-11 10:59 AM
    The devices that could lead to the os6.1 devices getting a qnx lite are the 2012 curves as it just seems very unlikely those are going to be running on dualcore processors.
    In my opinion, RIM is going to hold of on implementing dual core processors to phones as long as they can.. RIM has always been about battery life and business, so how is having a dual core processor with QNX whose battery life lasts a good 6-8 hours like all of those other "powerful but pointless" phones on the market beneficial to the potential business men that will be buying this phone? I honestly believe they will get QNX running fine on a single core, at least toned down a bit or something, but it seems as if not many people are agreeing with this. I love how my blackberry lasts the entire day whereas my friends with the "glorious" iphone and droid have trouble getting it to last them half the day. RIM isn't as stupid as many people think, they have something up their sleeve and I'm sure it isn't "lets release a batch of phones to hold off for our dual core then screw everyone over who bought those phones by not allowing QNX on them because its their fault they weren't able to hold off long enough. I feel like the bold touch is going to be a home run and will get QNX.. What's wrong with hoping the best but preparing for the worst? Everyone seems to be just planning on the worst and that is that... Cmon you glass half empty people! Fill up your glass! [:
    Chaz720 likes this.
    04-05-11 01:51 PM
    This article suggests they may keep two distinct lines of devices going, at least for a time.

The quote in particular: "RIM ... wіll mаkе separation οf thе product issued іn two categories: products thаt рlасе thе needs οf users without thе latest hardware аnd products wіth thе latest technology."

No idea who this outfit is or what language it was translated from (sure doesn't read like English); but what I can decipher from it leads me to believe QNX won't be backward-compatible with the 6.1 devices.

Manufacturer RIM Blackberry, No Hurry Make Super Smartphone-Based Dual-Core QNX
    04-05-11 05:36 PM
    This article suggests they may keep two distinct lines of devices going, at least for a time.

The quote in particular: "RIM ... wіll mаkе separation οf thе product issued іn two categories: products thаt рlасе thе needs οf users without thе latest hardware аnd products wіth thе latest technology."

No idea who this outfit is or what language it was translated from (sure doesn't read like English); but what I can decipher from it leads me to believe QNX won't be backward-compatible with the 6.1 devices.

That was a very strange article... Well anyways, I wouldn't mind paying $300+ for a phone on a 2 year contract extension plan if they just forked out the money to create a super phone.. I'm sure many others would too, so I wonder what exactly is holding them back. Probably not the easiest for them to get QNX completely functional in place of OS6.1 as they are having issues with integrated email and basic stuff like that on the playbook. Maybe they honestly just need some time to get stuff working.. I guess the bold touch will just have to hold us off until they decide to make any big decisions.
    04-05-11 05:52 PM

Well, you never know. I'm just hoping they will. 1.2GHz is a nice speed and even for a saled down version. If they don't, and QNX is amazing on the BB mobiles, I may dig deep and buy a new one then and tere, or just wait one more year for my contract to restart.
    04-05-11 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD