Hi!
    When the time comes, I want to buy the Passport, but until then I wanted to have a "usable" phone, so I set my eyes on a 9780.
    However, the add for that phone is no longer valid and since I don't wanna buy one online, the only other option is a 9900.
    I'm interested in its audio performance, because the 9780 was a beast of a music player, with perfect quality & clarity.
    About 2 years ago, I went into a store to try a 9900, to see how it sounds and it was the most awful experience I ever had! (I'm speaking about the headphone output). I loaded a 320kbps mp3 (which I had on my old 8520 another great sounding phone) and put the headphones on - the sound was tiny, crushed and distorted and in 2 minutes I was out of the store with a bitter taste, because I loved the keyboard!
    I had Technics dj heaphones, which I use for music production, so it wasn't their fault and my S2, the 8520 and my mom's 9780 sounded great. Could it have been faulty hardware? Bad software release?
    How is your experience and is the phone worth buying? It's the only one I want till I can get the Passport and the only thing preventing me from getting it is the bad experience I had then...
    07-18-14 02:31 PM
    As of now I am using the Z30 and my old 9900 I am using to replace my ipod nano. I used to listen music not on the headphone but I just leave it over the table and while working I am listening some mp3. Dunno if the sound is fantastic but I am happy this way.
    07-19-14 05:59 AM
    Never had a problem with my old 9900 as a music player, especially with a decent set of earphones. It's perfectly serviceable.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    07-19-14 06:08 AM
    Thanks. Perhaps it was just a faulty hardware. I will find out Monday how well the phone performs.
    07-19-14 06:33 AM
    I know this might sound daft but the earphone socket on the 9900 kind of pops in when you put the jack in. If you just tried it in the shop it's possible you didn't realise and didn't put the plug all the way in. It absolutely would sound really tinny if you did that. Just a thought - it's the kind of thing that's easy to do if you're trying something and don't realise.

Posted via CB10
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    07-19-14 06:38 AM
    Thanks Banco! It may have been a possibility, as the phone was fixed in place with a cable and I didn't have much time to play with it. I will keep this in mind when I'm gonna try it. I'm buying a used one, so I'll have time for some tests.
    07-19-14 07:06 AM
    I like the sound on my 9900 but the native player can't handle wma lossless files as far as I know. What is generally considered to be the best music app (that can play wmal)? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    07-19-14 07:19 PM
    It can handle wav, which is also a non-compressesd format. I didn't even know you could have a third party music player on BB OS, but I like the native one; it's basic, but it does the job. Perhaps you'll find what you're looking for at the newer generation BB's. I gave up my Android device cause 1. I was sick of Droid, 2. I wanted a physical keyboard and 3. Once you have a BB, you can't forget it Now I'm just waiting for them to release the monster in September.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    07-20-14 12:48 AM