When I had my old curve I would get emails like lightening. Now on this new Bold 9930 Its about a 5 min wait between what I get on my MBP and my phone. How can I make this faster? My husband and I share an email account. He also has a BB and emails go straight to his phone very fast.
    09-12-11 12:24 PM
    As long as it is set up right they should come right through. Did you try sending a email to yourself? If it still persists call your carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-11 12:37 PM
    I would delete all the email accounts from the phone and re-add them again.. All my emails (gmail, yahoo, hotmail) are instant or a minute delay at most.. More delay time is when BIS is down I would think.

09-12-11 12:42 PM
    They all come through. But they are just sloooow. Why does my hubby get them faster than me?
    09-12-11 12:57 PM
    They all come through. But they are just sloooow. Why does my hubby get them faster than me?
    Are you both on the same carrier?
    09-12-11 01:07 PM
    My delay is <1 second. Literally.

09-12-11 01:08 PM
    Non BES, Gmail/yahoo, POP accts are pushed every 15 minutes, and will push again if there are new emails on that same server in 2-3 minutes, if not, then another 15 mins.

Not all BIS email are created equal. Understandably, many people believe all BB email are pushed 'instanly' which is for sure not true.

Google search brings up the details.

09-12-11 01:57 PM
    Non BES, Gmail/yahoo, POP accts are pushed every 15 minutes, and will push again if there are new emails on that same server in 2-3 minutes, if not, then another 15 mins.
    No... Gmail and Yahoo! accounts are constantly logged in, and mail is pushed instantly.

All other BIS email accounts are checked every 15 minutes. If mail is found, it is pushed and the account checked again every 3 minutes for the next 15 minutes. If no further mails are found, checking resumes again at 15 minute intervals.

Information on how BIS email works... http://forums.crackberry.com/native-...l-work-152955/
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-12-11 at 02:28 PM.
    09-12-11 02:08 PM

Not all BIS email are created equal. Understandably, many people believe all BB email are pushed 'instanly' which is for sure not true.

Google search brings up the details.

Does he have the email set up as IMAP, whereas you have it set up a POP3?

If you change the settings to IMAP, the emails should arrive almost instantly.
    09-12-11 02:10 PM
    To the OP... Laura brings up a very good point especially if you both have a gmail account. You said you share an email account so does that mean you get the same emails as he with the same email address??

Depending on your answer and since gmial is free the best thing you can do is sign up for a gmail account of your own through your BB email setup wizard after you set it up of course with google first and make sure you choose IMAP.

I believe if you do this you will be very happy with the results.
    09-12-11 02:18 PM
    No... Gmail and Yahoo! accounts are constantly logged in, and mail is pushed instantly.

All other BIS email accounts are checked every 15 minutes. If mail is found, it is pushed and the account checked again every 3 minutes for the next 15 minutes. If no further mails are found, checking resumes again at 15 minute intervals.

Information on how BIS email works... http://forums.crackberry.com/native-...l-work-152955/
    Yep, agree. Worded poorly, meant POP accts other than Gmail/Yahoo! Such as those from your ISP or other, etc.

09-12-11 02:32 PM
    PUSH EMAIL MY S, RIM!.... back in 2008, every email that came in was lightning fast (no more than 10 seconds delay at max).. i had 11 emails then (all on BIS) and today the only TRUE push i get is Hotmail. All the other 10 email accounts (gmail/yahoo/ymail & misc pop/imap) take anywhere between 1 minute - 15 minutes.

Wonder what's so great about RIM's 'Push Email' already. Even recently, the number 1 Free App on Blackberry App World is Whatsapp Messenger.

Which leads me to conclude that the only thing great about the Blackberry now is the :-

1) LED notification
    2) QWERTY

Way to go RIM!
    09-12-11 02:58 PM
    PUSH EMAIL MY S, RIM!.... back in 2008, every email that came in was lightning fast (no more than 10 seconds delay at max).. i had 11 emails then (all on BIS) and today the only TRUE push i get is Hotmail. All the other 10 email accounts (gmail/yahoo/ymail & misc pop/imap) take anywhere between 1 minute - 15 minutes.

Wonder what's so great about RIM's 'Push Email' already. Even recently, the number 1 Free App on Blackberry App World is Whatsapp Messenger.

Which leads me to conclude that the only thing great about the Blackberry now is the :-

1) LED notification
    2) QWERTY

Way to go RIM!
    You need to change your Gmail and Yahoo settings from POP3 to IMAP. The delays you are speaking of are a limitation of the protocol POP3, not a limitation of BIS.
    09-12-11 03:03 PM

Thank you for correcting that person.

Yes, I get mine almost immediately. But, when first turning on my phone in the morning, there's a 10 min (approx) delay before any emails come flowing in...After that, it's fine the rest of the day.
    09-12-11 03:50 PM
    I love how people get stuck on a problem and automatically assume its RIM's fault and a problem with their blackberry instead of it being a problem on their end...

Enable IMAP in your gmail settings...

09-12-11 03:55 PM
    I love how people get stuck on a problem and automatically assume its RIM's fault and a problem with their blackberry instead of it being a problem on their end...

Enable IMAP in your gmail settings...

Is like every other thread someone blaming RIM for something out of their control - like building apps for example?

It's become tiring and I mostly just ignore the "OMG" threads now...
    09-12-11 03:58 PM
    I don't have Yahoo or Gmail. I have me.com and my own domain email both are IMAP....
    Any other thoughts?

I just don't get why my husband gets the .me mail so fast and mine takes forever!
    09-12-11 04:46 PM
    Go through and make sure every setting is identical both server-side and device-side.

If they are and you still get slow response time... Then you probably have a defective device in some way.

09-12-11 05:48 PM
    My BES exchange account takes about 1-5 minutes to deliver email to my phone. My Gmail account might take around 20 seconds. Email delivery on my HTC Sensation (Android) is much quicker for both Exchange emails as well as for Gmail. My G-Slate tablet also gets all emails well prior to them being delivered to my 9900.
    09-12-11 06:44 PM
    In Gmail my setting is IMAP yet the receipt is delayed when I power on in the morning for both Gmail and my VZ email.
    This happened on my old Bold 9650 and is happening on my new Torch 9850. Actually the first 2 days I had the Torch the email was instant at start up and now it is delayed.
    At one time my Bold was always instant receipt at start up, and then it suddenly started the delay. After start up the email works fine.
    09-14-11 08:52 AM
    My old Bold was delayed about 10 minutes when powering up in the morning. My new Torch 9850 is acting the same way. Actually it was instant the first 2 days and then it reverted to the way the way the Bold was acting. My Gmail acct is IMAP and VZ is pop. Both are delayed.
    09-14-11 09:16 AM
    I am new to BB. I don't even know what IMAP is, I just setup email by filling in user name and password once and for all.

BIS only. Gmail, Yahoo, lotus notes sending and receiving test. All accounts are almost instant (5-10 seconds).

I am staying at place with 1-3 bars signal strength, 2G. default .261

Could be problem with carrier?
    Last edited by iieeann; 09-14-11 at 09:41 AM.
    09-14-11 09:37 AM
    One important diff between IMAP and POP3. In pop3 , when u delete a message , the device gives u a chance to delete it or not on the server also. But for IMAP, I guess it will be deleted from the server next time of synchronization.

Can some one verify that ? Thanks
    09-14-11 09:49 AM
    One important diff between IMAP and POP3. In pop3 , when u delete a message , the device gives u a chance to delete it or not on the server also. But for IMAP, I guess it will be deleted from the server next time of synchronization.

Can some one verify that ? Thanks
    I can confirm you get the same choice on an imap set up account, handheld or mailbox and handheld.

m.seif likes this.
    09-14-11 10:04 AM
    I am new to BB. I don't even know what IMAP is, I just setup email by filling in user name and password once and for all.
    https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docv...id=swg21414623

IMAP vs. POP3 Email | Cloudeight Information Avenue
    09-17-11 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD