I keep seeing a bunch of threads about their BlackBerry 9900's being bricked. I honestly don't believe it so unless I start seeing evidence I'm inclined to believe it's just a bunch of trolls attempting to shred Research In Motion into bad light.

If the severity of the issue is this bad like users on CrackBerry claim it is, then I'm sure RIM would recall them. Other companies have done it but I still find hard pressed to believe.

I ask that if your 9900 is bricked, you post a photograph clearly shown it's bricked along with a little piece of paper next to your berry with your username on it. Other than that, I'm going to ignore every other thread without proof as just trolls trollin'.

Bricked being completely unrecoverable. Nuked & bricked is two different things.
    Why would anyone want to prove to YOU that their phone is bricked. It is nice you have picked up the sword to protect RIM but it is really not required.
    11-10-11 06:52 AM
    Good - you go live in your perfect world...and no one really cares if you do or don't believe the severity of the issue. Those of us, including one of the owners of this board, who have the issue, know full well what how bad the problem really is. No one needs to post pictures for your benefit and no one will either...no one cares what you think - or if you believe we're "trollin'. I'll laugh when yours bricks and you come here looking for help.

Oh - and why don't you show us recall letters from "other companies" who've issued recalls for their smartphones? Apple? Samsung? HTC? Can you provide that to us, since you made that claim? Do you have any proof or are you just trollin'?
    laffs !!! back at you @ CatlinFD
    11-10-11 07:17 AM
    You. Is. Crazy. Seriously.
    lafffs !!!!!!
    11-10-11 07:29 AM
    I'd like to see on youtube one single clip prooving bold 9900 "bricking" issue. So far I vaven't!
    So I presume that this is a mass intoxication campain.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-11 07:30 AM
    More than likely 90+ percent of the people on here claiming bricked devices are paid viral marketers from apple or google spreading nonsense. Of the remaining 10 percent, most of them are probably user error and aren't even bricked phones they just have messed up software or something.

And how much is RIM paying you?

11-10-11 07:41 AM
    I'd like to see on youtube one single clip prooving bold 9900 "bricking" issue. So far I vaven't!
    So I presume that this is a mass intoxication campain.

@profir....this is your second post on crackberry and you are already supporting what you dont understand.. i pity you
    11-10-11 07:47 AM
    I began having the issue after i downloaded App World 3.0.

It broke my net_rim_bb_somehing_wlan.cod
    or something.

I reloaded it. and something else was broken. (many servere errors in the event log)
    so i reloaded the OS.

Not as bad as full brick,but i feel like some people are thinking app error 102 is a permabrick.
    11-10-11 07:54 AM
    You're delusional if you really think people come here to make this s**t up. Pretty farfetched.

Mine bricked October 28th. Sent it back, got a new one yesterday.

11-10-11 08:09 AM
    @Funnykindel: I have to agree with you, but my references were related to youtube.
    Do you remember "antenagate" with iPhone4? Shure you do! Remember where everything started? Get it, Youtube, with a recoil of hundreds clips regarding this issue.
    And now I'm hearing about tens of bricked 9900 and none on Youtube... How can I call this? At least strange...
    Sorry if I offended anyone. From somewhere you have to start to write in a board. It happened to be this topic.
    Have a nice day.
    melb_me likes this.
    11-10-11 08:42 AM
    @Funnykindel: I have to agree with you, but my references were related to youtube.
    Do you remember "antenagate" with iPhone4? Shure you do! Remember where everything started? Get it, Youtube, with a recoil of hundreds clips regarding this issue.
    And now I'm hearing about tens of bricked 9900 and none on Youtube... How can I call this? At least strange...
    Sorry if I offended anyone. From somewhere you have to start to write in a board. It happened to be this topic.
    Have a nice day.
    the antenna gate thing was funny.
    so people posted it and people watched.

Bricked is... bricked..

Not much you can do with it. lol
    11-10-11 08:45 AM
    Here's my fancy BlackBerry Paperweight that booted up to a black screen, spinning clock and then rebooted again over and over that no software reload would fix. Eventually, it just gave up and displayed a no battery logo, despite there being a fully charged battery in there.

Needless to say, I got a new one and I'm waiting for it to commit suicide as well. It's pretty much inevitable that it will happen at some point considering I did nothing to trigger it the first time around, except put my BB on the charger. Which reminds me, if your carrier manages to send you another battery with your replacement -- keep it. You'll likely need it anyway.

Scary. I don't want to ever see this on my BB.

MAKE THE LAMBS STOP CRYING!!!!
    11-10-11 09:04 AM
    Sounds like someone got ther man period! I've nuked a Blackberry before so I know the difference and how to fix it (Thanks to crackberry). I exhausted all my options in attempting to fix my bricked phone before I went to Verizon and got a replacement.
    11-10-11 09:11 AM
    Google the error message "Battery Icon with X" in it and you'll find threads on the official Blackberry support forums which states what I have said. It comes down to the battery itself or your battery connector ports aren't intact.

It's possible for batteries that aren't programmed right to slip through the cracks at a Mexican/Canadian manufacturing plant. Look at the iPhones with their reception issue. They send out brand-new phones as there's been no official word from RIM itself to any battery, hardware or OS issues as obviously it isn't impacting significant numbers of customers.

Here's my 9800 with the SAME error. Ironic isn't it? I know what I'm talking about.
    I'm going to back Bla1ze up on this (although he doesn't need it).

The battery issue you are referring to has nothing to do with the bricked devices (ie: red light in constant reboot with no possibility to re-load the OS).

RIM confirmed a battery issue that caused a red X to show up when attempting to turn on shortly after device launch, but these batteries would be DOA, they would not work for several months and then crap out! Carriers (one of which I work for) were notified by RIM and know exactly which lot number/manufacturer dates are effected, and are NOT shipping new/replacement devices with those batteries.

Furthermore, when someone had a defective battery they only had to replace the battery not the device! As soon as a new battery was put in the device would boot normally, unlike the issue many people are now seeing.

This has been discussed many times in this forum. Please do some reading and educate yourself before posting.
    11-10-11 09:18 AM
    My phone is bricked. The real bricked. Not nuked.

I can't show photos now..its with the seller trying to get it fixed. Not that it would do any good as showing a photo of a 9930 without the battery does the same thing.

I just upgraded the OS via desktop manager and it booted up fine. It was a bit sluggish so i did a battery pull. After 10 minutes of waiting (it was stuck at 3/4 of the boot up loading bar) i pulled again. And waited. Eventually it died. Didn't boot up at all. No Red LED light. Nothing on the screen. No activity at all.

I charged the battery using an external charger for 2 hours. I plugged the battery in my dad's 9930 and it booted up fine showing 95% power. Plugging it back into my 9930 didnt work. No activity at all.

Using my dad's 9930's battery in my 9930 didnt work either. Still wouldnt boot up.

I checked everything. Every possible solution on Crackberry.

I eventually gave up and asked for help from the seller.

He can't figure it out either.

The phone was made in mexico 5. Only got a bit less than 2 months use out of it

$700 down the drain.
    Last edited by drichhhh; 11-10-11 at 09:38 AM.
    11-10-11 09:34 AM
    More than likely 90+ percent of the people on here claiming bricked devices are paid viral marketers from apple or google spreading nonsense. Of the remaining 10 percent, most of them are probably user error and aren't even bricked phones they just have messed up software or something.

67.4315% of all statistics are made up on the spot...lol
    11-10-11 09:48 AM
    sorry bro. thats one of the major problems those of us that bought our BB off-the-shelf would face. its such a pitiable situation.
    11-10-11 10:04 AM
    What a bizarre thread. I loved my 9900 before it bricked itself. What do i have to gain by lying? Im getting a replacement on monday from orange uk.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-10-11 11:44 AM
    What a bizarre thread. I loved my 9900 before it bricked itself. What do i have to gain by lying? Im getting a replacement on monday from orange uk.
    Personally I don't think the majority of the people here are lying, but I do believe that half are claiming a bricked device when a OS reload would fix their nuked device. After being on the forums for a good time, you begin to realize half the posts generated are ones that have already been answered to and that they're also a slew of users who have a misunderstanding of what's going on.
    11-10-11 11:52 AM
    Personally I don't think the majority of the people here are lying, but I do believe that half are claiming a bricked device when a OS reload would fix their nuked device. After being on the forums for a good time, you begin to realize half the posts generated are ones that have already been answered to and that they're also a slew of users who have a misunderstanding of what's going on.
    You may be right (although I don't think you are and I've got my daughter's bricked Bold 9900 to prove it) but frankly it doesn't matter. A consumer product distributed to the mass market shouldn't require its users to read a technical forum to discover how to reload an OS by removing a battery and re-inserting it at a particular point in a reboot cycle. If a BlackBerry doesn't fix itself when a retail customer plugs it into his or her computer and runs Desktop Manager then it's broke and the supplier should replace it or fix it. Whether it's technically nuked or bricked is completely irrelevant.

If a warning light comes on in your car during the warranty period, do you start messing with the electrical system? No, you take it to the dealer and he fixes it for free. If he told you that you could disconnect the battery and restart the computer system to try to sort the problem out you'd tell him precisely where to go.
    11-10-11 12:32 PM
    i remember nuking my berry once while i was updating the OS and it asked me to unplug it, then plug it back in again ! after 2 mins of the steady red light and black screen, i plug it back into the usb and it reloads the os again and started up normally
    11-10-11 03:16 PM
    I am starting to wonder if all the nuked/bricked talk is happening when people are restoring there content from an older bb. of the few people i know that have nuked bb's (2 people) they were all restoring from an att 9700. I also know a few people that are using the new bb9900 coming from the iphone and none of them have mentioned any issues with nuked/bricked phones.. Just a thought.

Either way i have had no issue with my 9900 and i restored from an unlocked 9780. I love the new bold and feel sorry for the people that have to deal with this issue. Good luck on getting it resolved.
    Last edited by JR750; 11-10-11 at 03:44 PM.
    11-10-11 03:42 PM
    The OP is funny
    So he thinks people would just come here and lie just like that ?

Face the truth, RIM effed up this time
    11-10-11 04:01 PM
    Ok I will post mine for you.
    sleepngbear, mssca, q649 and 2 others like this.
    11-10-11 04:27 PM
    You may be right (although I don't think you are and I've got my daughter's bricked Bold 9900 to prove it) but frankly it doesn't matter. A consumer product distributed to the mass market shouldn't require its users to read a technical forum to discover how to reload an OS by removing a battery and re-inserting it at a particular point in a reboot cycle. If a BlackBerry doesn't fix itself when a retail customer plugs it into his or her computer and runs Desktop Manager then it's broke and the supplier should replace it or fix it. Whether it's technically nuked or bricked is completely irrelevant.

If a warning light comes on in your car during the warranty period, do you start messing with the electrical system? No, you take it to the dealer and he fixes it for free. If he told you that you could disconnect the battery and restart the computer system to try to sort the problem out you'd tell him precisely where to go.
    Let me be clear by saying that I believe this brick issue to be real, which is why I follow some of these threads hoping that there's a resolution so that if it were to happen to mine I would know what to do. With that said, I've gone through a bunch of these threads where some legitimately have this issue while the rest claim to have this, but instead it's a different issue.

I agree that devices released for public consumption should not have either of these issues, because to me it's considered severe if data loss is a possibility. Thing is, there's a difference between a bricked and nuked device. If it was bricked then it should be replaced as there is no fix for it currently, which is similar to having a defective screen. If it was nuked, it's fixable and should be brought back to your service provider where they should reload the software for you regardless of whether you're capable of loading software on your own.

As with your car scenario, it should be brought back to where you purchased the car/device from. They should deal with replacing or fixing the car/device. RIM has a 1 year warranty on their devices and it's up to you, the consumer to realize this and let your service provider know that you know because they sure are damned deceitful in regards to this.

EDIT: Also, most of the threads to begin with are brick related. What possible reason is there to spam it with nuke related messages? That only skews the data... Unfortunately "spam" is all to easy when people are uneducated...
    Last edited by dimm0k; 11-10-11 at 04:42 PM.
    11-10-11 04:39 PM
    Steve Jobs hypnotized BlackBerry users and they only think they're device is bricked. Then they'll go buy an iPhone. Genius.

Kevin, Bla1ze and Shao all had their 9900s brick, nuke, whatever you want to call it. It ain't supposed to be happenin'
    11-10-11 04:47 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD