I keep seeing a bunch of threads about their BlackBerry 9900's being bricked. I honestly don't believe it so unless I start seeing evidence I'm inclined to believe it's just a bunch of trolls attempting to shred Research In Motion into bad light.

If the severity of the issue is this bad like users on CrackBerry claim it is, then I'm sure RIM would recall them. Other companies have done it but I still find hard pressed to believe.

I ask that if your 9900 is bricked, you post a photograph clearly shown it's bricked along with a little piece of paper next to your berry with your username on it. Other than that, I'm going to ignore every other thread without proof as just trolls trollin'.

Bricked being completely unrecoverable. Nuked & bricked is two different things.
    11-09-11 10:24 PM
    Kevin would not have written an article about it if it were not true. http://crackberry.com/have-you-nuked...t-i-have-twice
    11-09-11 10:28 PM
    Kevin would not have written an article about it if it were not true. Have you nuked (or bricked) your BlackBerry 7 Smartphone yet? I have, twice. | CrackBerry.com
    Bricked phones cannot be unbricked via software reloads. That's a nuke. Two different things and I keep seeing about 100 threads claiming to have actual bricked units.
    11-09-11 10:30 PM
    Bricked phones cannot be unbricked via software reloads. That's a nuke. Two different things and I keep seeing about 100 threads claiming to have actual bricked units.
    Another issue has to do with whether or not a user cares to bother reloading the software. If I got a new device and was within my 14-days or 30-days (depending on carrier), I probably would try to reload the OS, but I'm a techy so that doesn't bother me.

Many folks would just take the device back to their carrier's store without messing around reloading the OS. Not everyone has the time or technical inclination to bother. I'm sure you probably know people who've had a BlackBerry for 3 years and are still running the OS that was on it when they got it.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-09-11 10:35 PM
    I keep seeing a bunch of threads about their BlackBerry 9900's being bricked. I honestly don't believe it so unless I start seeing evidence I'm inclined to believe it's just a bunch of trolls attempting to shred Research In Motion into bad light.

If the severity of the issue is this bad like users on CrackBerry claim it is, then I'm sure RIM would recall them. Other companies have done it but I still find hard pressed to believe.

I ask that if your 9900 is bricked, you post a photograph clearly shown it's bricked along with a little piece of paper next to your berry with your username on it. Other than that, I'm going to ignore every other thread without proof as just trolls trollin'.

Bricked being completely unrecoverable. Nuked & bricked is two different things.
    Good - you go live in your perfect world...and no one really cares if you do or don't believe the severity of the issue. Those of us, including one of the owners of this board, who have the issue, know full well what how bad the problem really is. No one needs to post pictures for your benefit and no one will either...no one cares what you think - or if you believe we're "trollin'. I'll laugh when yours bricks and you come here looking for help.

Oh - and why don't you show us recall letters from "other companies" who've issued recalls for their smartphones? Apple? Samsung? HTC? Can you provide that to us, since you made that claim? Do you have any proof or are you just trollin'?
    Last edited by FBA; 11-09-11 at 10:49 PM.
    11-09-11 10:46 PM
    While you're right and many people might have these two confused, I can say that it is a real issue. There are a few CB members that know I'm a die-hard BB fan and would do anything I can to back them up. But there's a time to be truthful and realize when there is a problem.

Like you, I kept seeing these issues everyone was having and wondered how that was possible when I love my device so much. After a friend's 9900 bricked and he tried fixing it to no avail (with help from good sources), I was afraid of the inevitable happening to my phone and others.

I received my 9930 from Verizon on Aug 15, the first day they were available in the states and enjoyed my phone for months. However, yesterday mine finally bit the bullet and is now sitting on my desk as a paperweight. This is my 4th BB (9530, 9550, 9650, 9930) and I am very familiar with the process to getting it going again. But everything I've tried has been of no use. Several others are having the same issue. It's probably the worst problem I have run into with any electronic device I've ever owned next to my old XBOX 360 having the red ring of death and becoming useless.

Luckily, my warranty still allows me to get it replaced as many times as it happens through Verizon so I have a replacement coming tomorrow.

I hope that RIM acknowledges this problem and if not, at least retract all of the defected devices as fast as possible while immediately circulating revised hardware. I really hope that the replacement I get has fixed this problem. This could be why AT&T held off and where I was quick to judge them for it out of ignorance. Yes, the Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile devices have been fine. But as soon as the device bricks that all goes down the drain.

This has been a real inconvenience and happened at a bad time for me. However, I still have faith in RIM and hope that they resolve this. Defect aside, the Bold 99xx is the best device out there.
    salexs11 likes this.
    11-09-11 11:04 PM
    . I'll laugh when yours bricks and you come here looking for help.
    If my device actually bricks and isn't just nuked, I'll just use my one year manufacturer warranty from Research In Motion & my network provider, instead of whinging on a forum as that would be counterproductive.
    renownedanonymous likes this.
    11-09-11 11:05 PM
    I have a bricked blackberry bold 9900 ( red led light ) and even I try everything the only solution was to go to my carrier and after one day they give me another one.

I could post a photo of the box with the serial number and also post a photo with the serial number of the new blackberry bold I receive.

My carrier only ask you to return your phone. You keep the box and everything.

I live in Mexico and my carrier is Telcel ( the richest man 'carlos slim' in the world is the owner of telcel )
    11-09-11 11:42 PM
    Here's my fancy BlackBerry Paperweight that booted up to a black screen, spinning clock and then rebooted again over and over that no software reload would fix. Eventually, it just gave up and displayed a no battery logo, despite there being a fully charged battery in there.

Needless to say, I got a new one and I'm waiting for it to commit suicide as well. It's pretty much inevitable that it will happen at some point considering I did nothing to trigger it the first time around, except put my BB on the charger. Which reminds me, if your carrier manages to send you another battery with your replacement -- keep it. You'll likely need it anyway.

Chrisy likes this.
    11-10-11 12:17 AM
    Here's my fancy BlackBerry Paperweight that booted up to a black screen, spinning clock and then rebooted again over and over that no software reload would fix. Eventually, it just gave up and displayed a no battery logo, despite there being a fully charged battery in there.

Needless to say, I got a new one and I'm waiting for it to commit suicide as well. It's pretty much inevitable that it will happen at some point considering I did nothing to trigger it the first time around, except put my BB on the charger. Which reminds me, if your carrier manages to send you another battery with your replacement -- keep it. You'll likely need it anyway.

It's your battery Blaze. It isn't bricked nor nuked. Genuine OEM batteries have a chip and are programmed. Seems your battery wasn't programmed correctly or isn't genuine as in could be aftermarket. I had the same problem with a Torch 9800 and couldn't figure it out until I sent an email to a friend's boyfriend who is a Sr. Engineer at RIM who told me what it is. Bought a new programmed battery and it fixed the issue. It's purely the battery as the phones will only accept programmed batteries with the chip. Its some sort of protection device built into newer Blackberries. You can also use a Chinese aftermarket which copies the data from a working battery to a nonworking battery that displays that red battery icon but it's not worth it as has to be redone everytime you pull the battery.

It's the battery that has caused your issues, it isn't the phone.
    JR A likes this.
    11-10-11 12:41 AM
    It's your battery Blaze. It isn't bricked nor nuked. Genuine OEM batteries have a chip and are programmed. Seems your battery wasn't programmed correctly or isn't genuine as in could be aftermarket. I had the same problem with a Torch 9800 and couldn't figure it out until I sent an email to a friend's boyfriend who is a Sr. Engineer at RIM who told me what it is. Bought a new programmed battery and it fixed the issue. It's purely the battery as the phones will only accept programmed batteries with the chip. Its some sort of protection device built into newer Blackberries. You can also use a Chinese aftermarket which copies the data from a working battery to a nonworking battery that displays that red battery icon but it's not worth it as has to be redone everytime you pull the battery.

It's the battery that has caused your issues, it isn't the phone.
    Ya, must be. That's why 2 other batteries never worked right as well in the device eh? Including the one Rogers sent with the replacement device, which.. oddly enough works IN the replacement device.

And let's just assume for even ONE SLIGHT SECOND that is indeed the case, then why is RIM sending out their devices with non-programmed batteries? And why have they not sent out replacement ones to identify the issue? And why did I got a fake battery from RIM? And why did it work for 2 months fine as kind before failing horrendously?

Your logic isn't logical at all.

Face it man, there is issues with either the hardware or the software and you'd have to be out of your mind to think I never did the basic troubleshooting steps such as testing the batteries out. And even more so out your skull to think I would even have a knockoff battery in use on my device.
    q649, mssca, Max_Powers and 7 others like this.
    11-10-11 12:53 AM
    Ya, must be. That's why 2 other batteries never worked right as well in the device eh? Including the one Rogers sent with the replacement device, which.. oddly enough works IN the replacement device. Face it man, there is issues with either the hardware or the software and you'd have to be out of your mind to think I never did the basic troubleshooting steps such as testing the batteries out.

And let's just assume for even ONE SLIGHT SECOND that is indeed the case, then why is RIM sending out their devices with non-programmed batteries? And why have they not sent out replacement ones to identify the issue? And why did I got a fake battery from RIM?

Your logic isn't logical at all.
    Google the error message "Battery Icon with X" in it and you'll find threads on the official Blackberry support forums which states what I have said. It comes down to the battery itself or your battery connector ports aren't intact.

It's possible for batteries that aren't programmed right to slip through the cracks at a Mexican/Canadian manufacturing plant. Look at the iPhones with their reception issue. They send out brand-new phones as there's been no official word from RIM itself to any battery, hardware or OS issues as obviously it isn't impacting significant numbers of customers.

Here's my 9800 with the SAME error. Ironic isn't it? I know what I'm talking about.
    JR A likes this.
    11-10-11 01:08 AM
    Google the error message "Battery Icon with X" in it and you'll find threads on the official Blackberry support forums which states what I have said. It comes down to the battery itself or your battery connector ports aren't intact.

It's possible for batteries that aren't programmed right to slip through the cracks at a Mexican/Canadian manufacturing plant. Look at the iPhones with their reception issue. They send out brand-new phones as there's been no official word from RIM itself to any battery, hardware or OS issues as obviously it isn't impacting significant numbers of customers.

Here's my 9800 with the SAME error. Ironic isn't it? I know what I'm talking about.
    You must have mistaken me for someone as being new to this game. I'm gonna let you roll with this one. I've said my piece, and your points prove nothing IMO. If you wish to believe it's a battery issue.. go for it. The others on this forum will gladly tell you that you are wrong, I don't need to reiterate what I've already said.

[PS: "Its some sort of protection device built into newer Blackberries." <-- Outright BS. It's not new, it's been there since at the very least 8700 where it used to appear on the battery, and ever since --again, at the very least-- 8300 it appears on the screen as well. I know what I'm talking about.]
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-10-11 01:35 AM
    More than likely 90+ percent of the people on here claiming bricked devices are paid viral marketers from apple or google spreading nonsense. Of the remaining 10 percent, most of them are probably user error and aren't even bricked phones they just have messed up software or something.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    melb_me likes this.
    11-10-11 02:04 AM
    And btw. My bell rep tells me that IPhone 4s returns are about 15 to 1 over blackberry.

dimm0k, q649 and melb_me like this.
    11-10-11 02:05 AM
    More than likely 90+ percent of the people on here claiming bricked devices are paid viral marketers from apple or google spreading nonsense. Of the remaining 10 percent, most of them are probably user error and aren't even bricked phones they just have messed up software or something.

You. Is. Crazy. Seriously.
    q649 likes this.
    11-10-11 02:19 AM
    And btw. My bell rep tells me that IPhone 4s returns are about 15 to 1 over blackberry.

My Optus CSA told me that you worked for RIM, and that 4S returns are in fact non existant (as people deal direct with Apple) and that BB returns are hence a gazillionbillionty times the 4s. So, it must be true.
    11-10-11 02:22 AM

here we go again
    seriously what wrong with you people ?
    you spend a lot on this POS and so am i
    it supposed to be the best blackberry ever made, and i also hope so when i bought it
    but the truth is not.
    like i said the keyboard is amazing
    but this POS has a lot of "problems"
    if yours is soo perfect then that is lucky you.
    but majority of us is unlucky i guess.

regardless of bricking or nuking.
    imagine i was on overseas business trip and i don't bring my laptop
    i only bring my BB and iPad
    then the 9900 enter the endless reboot mode when i change SIM card.
    just like KEvin's experiences.
    you can say easily that i just need to bring this POS to the store to exchange,
    but what about the data in it ?
    i was overseas!
    i lost of all my clients contacts and appointments.
    the phone cost nothing compared to the business and time that i lost!

bricking, nuking, whatever it is
    it's not supposed to be a "features" of a phone, let alone a "smartphone"

I my self own a store here, we sell gadgets.
    that's a tottally bull**** thing about iphone4s return rate is higher than BB 99xx
    the BB99xx return rates in my shop is about 3 / 10 units.
    iphone 4 s is not officially launched yet in my country and i got it from US .
    i sold about 75 units so far
    only 1 return and thats because the owner try to "jailbreak" it
    otherwise it was nothing wrong with it

but then again you would accuse me of being viral marketing from apple so doesn't really matter anyway.

what's wrong with these people ?
    i know that i want to think or i want everybody to think that my phone, my choice is the best phone in the market or in the world infact, but the reality is not like that
    the more i want to love this 9900 of mine, the more i disgusted by it.

like i said before the only thing that keep me holding on is the keyboard. and the BBM
    cause BBM is essential in my country , we do business transaction via BBM.
    if apple or other company have phone with qwerty and BBM
    i swear to God i willl never ever use any BB anymore.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-10-11 02:42 AM
    btw just cross my mind just now, maybe you are one of RIM viral marketers to make the 99xx phone look good even though theres a lot of problems with it.
    and thats pathetic, defending your own device in your own forum because "majority" of the user here experiences issues with their devices but you seems refuses to believe that and blaming that was user errors and "nuking" is a normal thing for a phone to do.
    11-10-11 02:52 AM
    here we go again
    seriously what wrong with you people ?
    you spend a lot on this POS and so am i
    it supposed to be the best blackberry ever made, and i also hope so when i bought it
    but the truth is not.
    like i said the keyboard is amazing
    but this POS has a lot of "problems"
    if yours is soo perfect then that is lucky you.
    but majority of us is unlucky i guess.
    I highly doubt a majority is having any big issues with their Bold. If that was the case then this phone would have been pulled either by RIM or the carriers as it would be costing them too much. Anyways, this phone is serving me well and I no longer need to play the spec game with Android phones. There does seem to be more incidents of bricking with this model than the older Bolds from what I am seeing but maybe it's a software issue, maybe its a tiny hardware issue, or maybe its a huge hardware issue. Who knows but like I have always said, just get the phone that works for you. If it's not the Bold, then it's not it. Simple as that.

Posts like this is pointless as it just gets everyone all stirred up, which I don't understand why. Who cares what phone you're using? Why do you have to be so defensive of your BB or so angry that someone is comparing it to your iPhone? Everyone move on with your lives. I keep track just to see what's new, such as the thread about the new apps that RIM is giving out is available as it rarely shows up in the appworld launch screen.
    Last edited by m0c21; 11-10-11 at 02:58 AM.
    11-10-11 02:54 AM
    thats exactly my point
    i want the phone that work for me .
    i don;t d�fense my BB nor iPhone
    i'm just letting others know about my experience with both of them.

and i post few threads here regarding the problem with my 9900
    but instead someone accuse me of viral marketers from other phone brands.
    (which is actually is a good job if i was paid to do so )
    anyway thats also my thought why RIM haven't pull out this phone
    but theres no history that a phone is recalled
    I'm sure RIM aware of the :issues: but RIM is too busy keeping their company standing up from bankruptcy to do some thing about this 99xx.

maybe you should "quote" different post.
    11-10-11 03:25 AM
    If my device actually bricks and isn't just nuked, I'll just use my one year manufacturer warranty from Research In Motion & my network provider, instead of whinging on a forum as that would be counterproductive.
    Actually, I think it's very productive. At this point, I don't think anyone has identified any commonalities among those experiencing bricked devices. Everyone encountering the issue posting their circumstances here could be very helpful in identifying a root cause. I haven't had the issue myself, but I know if I did I'd want as much information as possible on it, just in case there were something I could do short of returning the device for a replacement.

The 9900/9930 otherwise seems to be being received as a great device. I really don't think people would be piling on complaints about it bricking it if weren't a legitimate issue. I would much rather see this kind of information here than the kind of sorry ******** that goes on in other forums. You want to see endless, pointless whining, just take a quick swing through the PlayBook forum.
    11-10-11 03:42 AM

So you're validating RIM shipping out "nuked" phones? It's a fault of the company, 9900 users shouldn't even have to worry if their phone is going to die any minute.

I have one by the way, and love it. Hope it stays that way.
    11-10-11 04:01 AM
    Having a bricked blackberry bold 9900 after only one week of use and now having a new blackberry bold 9900 after my carrier give me a new one I am going to report any issues. If I don't have any issues with my blackberry in months or years that will tell me that the issue here is hardware failure in some blackberry 9900 and not all.

I only open this account to report about my bricked blackberry 9900 because I could not believe that in 2011 I have to return a phone because I can repair it directly in my home.
    11-10-11 04:14 AM

Ignorant and arrogant - a dynamite combination.
    Chrisy, shupor, salexs11 and 1 others like this.
    11-10-11 06:40 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD