This is happening to me now after upgrading to latest OS available and my BBM 7 will get stuck at restoring contacts... previously since beta already experience this. So download old version and upgrade to BBM 7 will be the way to get it fix...
    I had the same problem. I deleted BBM7, rebooted, loaded BBM 6.1.0.49 from here (http://www.santo.asia/repository/bb-...yMessenger.jad), checked to see if contacts were restored (they were) then loaded BBM 7, rebooted, signed in and all was well!
    01-19-13 10:16 AM
    I'm experiencing this exact same problem... but my device restored my 24 chats (previously 'opened') buy 0 contacts (I had 2.000, the max allowed)... i'm about to loose my mind!
    01-27-13 07:36 PM
    can anyone post here a direct link to download bbm 6 for OS 7.0? (the rrooyy site says bbm6 is for OS 5)
    01-27-13 07:48 PM
    I installed the old bbm, buy when I try to restore contacts with my mail, it says that my email is not linked to any blackberry messenger account...
    01-27-13 08:19 PM
    can anyone post here a direct link to download bbm 6 for OS 7.0? (the rrooyy site says bbm6 is for OS 5)
    This may work:
    http://db.tt/NoACor34

I installed the old bbm, buy when I try to restore contacts with my mail, it says that my email is not linked to any blackberry messenger account...
    Just damn! If you use BB Protect, try that for recovery. Otherwise, you'll need to use the most recent Desktop backup.
    01-27-13 09:57 PM
    but BB Protect DOESN'T save bbm contacts, bbm chats, etc...

my most recent backup (bbm 6) it's from NOVEMBER! it's sucks to have lost +500contacts... but 1.5k it's better than 0 :/

still can't understand how my email/BB ID just gone without any reason whatsoever...
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-27-13 at 10:17 PM. Reason: language
    01-27-13 10:02 PM
    but BB Protect DOESN'T save bbm contacts, bbm chats, etc...

my most recent backup (bbm 6) it's from NOVEMBER! it's sucks to have lost +500contacts... but 1.5k it's better than 0 :/

still can't understand how my email/BB ID just gone without any reason whatsoever...
    Easy with the wirty dords. There's a reason we have a filter.

Plenty of issues when there was an email registry, that upgrading BBM would break the link. No shocker moving to BBMV would kill it too. As I said, just damn
    01-27-13 10:20 PM
    Sorry, i'm just going crazy... can't understand any of what's happening. My bbm contacts are result of 2 years of work (I work as a PR here in aargentina) and it's a real pain in the (youknowwhat) to have lost them.

Is there any way to ask Blackberry to restore my bbm contacts that should be backed-up at least two days ago?
    01-27-13 10:26 PM
    Sorry, i'm just going crazy... can't understand any of what's happening. My bbm contacts are result of 2 years of work (I work as a PR here in aargentina) and it's a real pain in the (youknowwhat) to have lost them.

Is there any way to ask Blackberry to restore my bbm contacts that should be backed-up at least two days ago?
    Man, that's major suckage. Not sure if there's a way or not. I'd attempt a BBM7 reinstall and BBID log on.

Edit - Have you gone into Options, and made sure you're connected to your BBID account?
    01-27-13 10:45 PM
    yup... My BB ID is OK... that's why is it soo weird that my contacts (bbm) just vanished...

i'm about to reinstall anooother OS and try. I've been having problems login after installing a new OS, keeps asking me to retry. Then, when finally do log in, happened all this we are talking about :S
    01-27-13 10:57 PM
    I'm extremely disappointed by this BBM upgrade and I'll share my experience in the hope it may help someone avoid the same problems so many of us seem to be encountering. After my first attempt at installing BBM, I came back to find the icon completely missing. The App Store reported it as installed and wouldn't allow me to reinstall, so I downloaded it from blackberry.com and reinstalled from there.

After rebooting, the icon was visible again and after running it for the first time, when it asked for my display name, it had an option to restore contacts from a backup. Initially I left this unselected as, y'know, I didn't think I would need to restore anything (I'm only upgrading, right?). Then a warning message was displayed that I would not have the chance to restore my data again, which obviously made me a little apprehensive, so I cancelled and selected the restoration option. On the next screen, it gave me options to restore from my email account, local or remote backups, but it also informed me that my most recent backups would restored from my BB ID. Now, this confused me somewhat as it now appeared to be saying that I had no need to restore my contacts, while the previous message had bullied me into thinking I had to. I flicked back and forth between the two options for a while, reading and re-reading both messages and finally decided it was safe to continue without restoring.

Big mistake. Hello, empty BBM. Naturally, I jumped into the settings where you could previously restore contacts from a backup, but true to it's word, that option was no longer available. I then thought I'd just reinstall BBM 7 and repeat the process, selecting the restore step, but again, that option wasn't made available. When it said you would never have the opportunity again, it really wasn't kidding. At this point, I was starting to feel mild consternation that restoring my contacts might actually be somewhat problematic, so I went digging online and finally came across this thread.
    I had the same issue. Here's hhow I fixed it.

I un-installed BBM7
    I installed BBM 6.2
    Using my remote restore and the email addresses I had registered for remote backup, I restored my BBM. You can also selectively restore using Desktop Manager.
    Once all contacts were up, I re-installed BBM7 and once installed, I re-booted device.
    When I opened BBM7, I was prompted for my BB I.D. And password.
    Voila, it was all there.

If I have an issue it is that there is no longer an option to do a remote backup using emails associated to the phone. I assume that BBM is now backing up on their servers but it was hanging for an hour on the "restore" screen which finally led me to do the above noted steps.

Hope that helps.
    This process worked for me, except that I didn't even have to restore my BBM contacts after reinstalling BBM 6; everything literally re-appeared exactly how I'd left it - contacts, conversations, groups, everything. After repeating the upgrade, the only issue observed was that I lost my own display picture, which is hardly the end of the world.

So my advice to any prospective upgraders (although I suspect the horse will have already bolted for most people coming across this thread) would be to back up your contacts before you install BBM 7 and when it asks if you want to restore them, DO IT. Failing that, keep the link to BBM 6 close to hand and make sure you've upgraded BB ID to the latest version before you get started.
    02-08-13 08:09 AM
    hello,
    i had the blackberry 9360 but it broke, luckily i had backed up all my bbm contacts to my email address beforehand; now i've got my brothers blackberry 9360 and i've just set it up and got my bbm logged in with my previous blackberry id. The problem is when i click on options on bbm and scroll down there is no option to restore contacts like there would have been on my previous blackberry i don't know if this is something to do with the new bbm 7 but i've tried everything and just cannot figure it out. can anyone help?
    04-29-13 01:41 PM
    I bought a new blackberry 9900 Bold. Updated everything and then backed up all my previous BBM contacts through Mass Storage and then out of 60 only 3 or 4 were in dark colour otherwise rest all contacts were dim then i deleted them and added them again manually one by one. They have told me that they do receive my request but when they add me the request goes into pending or Waiting for authorisation. And i cant receive any of their requests. i even tried rebooting and making a new bbm id but the same problem is still there. I have currently only one contact in my list to whom i can send and receive Messages. Please Advise me what to do?
    05-03-13 01:46 PM
38 12