Why are you stressing about having a QNX superphone at this stage? if you really want a superphone, go to a manufacturing plant and build your own phone and program your own os that meets your "requirements". Otherwise, just enjoy your new device, you bought one right?.

RIM has their reasons for building such devices which I think is a good strategy for them, they don't have to compete with iOS and Android markets because Blackberry is different from them, blackberry offers service, not just good devices. push to email service, real time updating in social apps, chats and etc. blackberry is a messaging machine like no other, android and iOS can't even compete with that. os7 is not comparable with android and iOS because they have different purposes, os7 or bb os in fact have improved through time, with faster reboot times every version upgrades, combined with 1.2ghz processor and 768mb ram, hardware wise, it is a good upgrade from os6 devices.

there's a reason why the 9900/9930 is the flagship device for RIM, because it combines new school and old school, fused together to make one epic device, new hardware and os combined with enhanced old school bold design, with stainless bezel, best keyboard (even better than the 9000 keyboard), not to mention it sports a capacitive touchscreen. so RIM has been thinking about their target market on what they prefer or what they will prefer.

Torch 9810 is somewhat a refresh from the 9800 in terms of housing, hardware and os, but essentially its the same dimensions.

Torch 9860 is a full touchscreen device which I would want to own if I didn't bought my 9900. this unit is one of the top-of-line touchscreen phone you can buy in the market today.

Being a blackberry owner is not about competing with android and iOS, it's all about meeting your needs and making your life easier by the minute, its about experience like no other in terms of messaging and application integration. it is about identity.

Proud to be a berry addict.
    Look at the stock price. We all here are RIM supporters but we are not enough to turn around for RIM. They are a few bucks away from being a take over candidate. It would drive me if RIM were folded into another company. I like choice and I want it to continue to be BB but........
    09-22-11 08:12 AM
    Wow, what a loser. How is copying the pack innovating? The keyboard is the differentiation from the rest. Old School? WTF?

newb, thanks, but go back to your android POS.
    09-22-11 08:30 AM
    I really don't believe that a slightly faster processor would make a material difference in the sales game of this device.

If the bold rendered web pages like android and there was no spinning clock then yes the bold would sell like crazy!
    Its not very hard to see the difference between the two so RIM should be able to figure this out.
    I came back to BB from android for different reasons but combine the two and instant winner!
    09-22-11 10:02 AM
    In response to everyone who wants a faster processor.
    Operating systems can only get so fast.

For example, a 16Ghz quad core processor will not run microsoft word any faster than a 3.0ghz processor.

I dont think going crazy with sheer processing power will make the 9900 any faster.

Oh and I think the processor is over clocked.
    originally it is a 1ghz. I think.
    09-22-11 10:27 AM
    just face it. we as consumer, can never be satisfied.

with the 9000, we complained about the trackball.

bold2 came with trackpad, but we complained about the tiny screen, tiny keypad, and lousy browser.

bold3 came os6 and slightly bigger ram, but we complained about buggy os6.

bold4 (9900) came with an uprated processor, built-in memory, touchscreen, upgraded os and brought back the magnificent keypad, but we are complaining that how it should be working like an android/ios.

man, you dont need 4 generations of bold to realise that bb is not for you......
    Last edited by LiteBulb; 09-22-11 at 10:32 AM.
    09-22-11 10:29 AM
    No pissing contest here at all. It is because I'm a real fan that I am concerned. I can love the BB experience all I want but it is the market that is going to have the final say. Right now, the market is saying yes to iOS and android. I want to keep my BB so that's why I get frustrated with RIM. I'd like to see innovation from RIM coupled with flawless execution to market.
    You will see that innovation occur one of two ways: either the old guard (two specific gentlemen in mind) will be exiled once and for all or after RIM is bought out and is under new management.

Until then, enjoy the phone. It's not bad.
    09-22-11 03:57 PM
    The BB and the Iphone/Androids are very different phones. The BB is a communication tool, it excels at emails and texts. The other is for fun apps and looking for restaurants nearby lol (Which the BB can still do). If people the the BB is old fashioned that's fine with me, I'm sure a lot of people will disagree.
    09-22-11 04:59 PM
    If I wanted a Droid or Iphone with the virtual keyboard, I woulda bought one. If I wanted a blackberry with a virtual keyboard, I would bought a storm. Done. It's like saying stick shifts are old school...really? It's just perference. (The keyboard. I'm just a girl, I don't know all those big words like QNX and....)
    ridesno159 and BergerKing like this.
    09-22-11 05:42 PM
    Or maybe if they just gave this 9930 a better camera and a bigger battery

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 06:52 PM
    since you're new, here's you're clue. the average BB user hates full touchscreens. the bold touch has the best of both worlds and that makes for a super productive phone.

QNX, 4G will all be nice additions next year, but BB will never abandon the physical keyboard.

The 9900/30 is a beautiful device that I can type on it all day long. I love my 9930. Most reasonable folks who try a bold 99xx would agree that it is a better typing experience than a full touch screen. However, that's just NOT gonna cut it. That is not nearly enough of what it takes to win back the hearts and minds of x-BBers or to add new folks to the mix. You see folks, the perception is that phones with visible physical keyboards are Old School. RIM's smartphones were hip but now the perception is that the full touch screen is the modern successor of the old physical keyboards. It really doesn't matter that typing on physical keyboards are better - smartphones are capable of so much more and the general public wants modern as well as everything else.

If RIM were to throw a slick QNX OS onto the current bold 99xx tomorrow, they would sell a few more devices but the physical keyboard and the small screen would still be a deterent to being a true rival of the iPhone or the many android full touch screen phones.

Imagine the current bold 99xx as a full touch screen device with QNX and android player. RIM would be able to compete immediately. However RIM needs to do more than compete, they need to innovate. The 9850/60 etc are not viable candidates to compete with the iphone, galaxy S II etc. It is a mystery to me that RIM was able to produced the Bold 99xx and couldn't also deliver a BOLD full-touch with the identical beautiful design. I believe it would have been a game changer. Folks, stare at your current bold 99xx devices, and imagine it as a full touch screen. Maybe not the device for you, but I assume you that it is what most consumers want.

Producing the torch 9850/60 devices is like sitting on the fence. Get in the game or go home and stop wasting time and money. No offense to any of the 9850/60 fans, just saying that such phones cannot garner mass appeal anymore.

I recommend that RIM doesn't produce another device unless it is a real game changer for them. Be honest, given the state of RIM, how many of the new OS7 devices do you truly believe should have been produced?
    09-22-11 09:06 PM
    I have had Android, and I have had the iphone 4. They are fine phones for the people who want those particular phones. I have a 9930 that I love because I feel most comfortable with BB. I LIKE what Blackberry is and does. I like the OS. I like the combination of the best keyboard in the world with the gorgeous touch screen. I like the fact that this is a phone that does not drop calls. I like the fact that I easily get a full day of hard use with the battery. I'm going to charge it every night anyway, so where is the problem? I like the fact that the browser is fast enough to do what I need it to do. I mean, how fast do I really need it to be? I like the fact that my phone is now everything that I want and need it to be, knowing that any improvements will just be icing on the cake for me. The only thing that I DON'T like is that the pressure seems to be on to force RIM to become just like everyone else. I guess I just don't understand why so many people are pushing (and sending stocks all wonky) to do this. Yes, I like progress, but I don't want to lose what I love about my BB!
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-22-11 09:36 PM
    I have had Android, and I have had the iphone 4. They are fine phones for the people who want those particular phones. I have a 9930 that I love because I feel most comfortable with BB. I LIKE what Blackberry is and does. I like the OS. I like the combination of the best keyboard in the world with the gorgeous touch screen. I like the fact that this is a phone that does not drop calls. I like the fact that I easily get a full day of hard use with the battery. I'm going to charge it every night anyway, so where is the problem? I like the fact that the browser is fast enough to do what I need it to do. I mean, how fast do I really need it to be? I like the fact that my phone is now everything that I want and need it to be, knowing that any improvements will just be icing on the cake for me. The only thing that I DON'T like is that the pressure seems to be on to force RIM to become just like everyone else. I guess I just don't understand why so many people are pushing (and sending stocks all wonky) to do this. Yes, I like progress, but I don't want to lose what I love about my BB!
    Well stated. Too much change, BlackBerry loses its appeal to their market and doesn't draw from the other sides. That is destined for a massive fail. But the fact is, they have broadened their form factors to appeal to a wider base, and here is something for almost anyone. Problem is, they're pumping the pooch on getting the word out.

I like the way BlackBerry works. I've tried the others, and virtual keyboards just don't cut it for me. So I would hope they don't totally lose their identity.
    09-22-11 10:41 PM
    Exactly. No compromise in communicating. And classic design comes around in cycles. I'm glad not all relationships work like smartphones, I can't afford to replace my smartwife like I can my phone, even if I did like the newer models!
    Smartwife lol

09-22-11 10:53 PM
    Probably full touch screen is the 'future' but while it lasts before RIM goes down or is bought out I'm sticking with the best of class physical keyboard that exists.

Maybe but don't be surprised to see physical keyboards make a comeback. I install point of sale systems that have both on each unit. Have had touch for 20 years. Without fail 98% of the cashiers prefer keyboard entry. I think all touch is somewhat of a fad. I think there will be some other physical keyboard options... Even if not a traditional keyboard. All touch is a concession to the software companies/developers who like the flexibility. Users deserve a real keyboard option.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 09-23-11 at 01:29 AM.
    09-23-11 12:52 AM
    The 9900/30 is a beautiful device that I can type on it all day long. I love my 9930. Most reasonable folks who try a bold 99xx would agree that it is a better typing experience than a full touch screen. However, that's just NOT gonna cut it. That is not nearly enough of what it takes to win back the hearts and minds of x-BBers or to add new folks to the mix. You see folks, the perception is that phones with visible physical keyboards are Old School. RIM's smartphones were hip but now the perception is that the full touch screen is the modern successor of the old physical keyboards. It really doesn't matter that typing on physical keyboards are better - smartphones are capable of so much more and the general public wants modern as well as everything else.

If RIM were to throw a slick QNX OS onto the current bold 99xx tomorrow, they would sell a few more devices but the physical keyboard and the small screen would still be a deterent to being a true rival of the iPhone or the many android full touch screen phones.

Imagine the current bold 99xx as a full touch screen device with QNX and android player. RIM would be able to compete immediately. However RIM needs to do more than compete, they need to innovate. The 9850/60 etc are not viable candidates to compete with the iphone, galaxy S II etc. It is a mystery to me that RIM was able to produced the Bold 99xx and couldn't also deliver a BOLD full-touch with the identical beautiful design. I believe it would have been a game changer. Folks, stare at your current bold 99xx devices, and imagine it as a full touch screen. Maybe not the device for you, but I assume you that it is what most consumers want.

Producing the torch 9850/60 devices is like sitting on the fence. Get in the game or go home and stop wasting time and money. No offense to any of the 9850/60 fans, just saying that such phones cannot garner mass appeal anymore.

I recommend that RIM doesn't produce another device unless it is a real game changer for them. Be honest, given the state of RIM, how many of the new OS7 devices do you truly believe should have been produced?
    I disagree, you are basing your assumption that everyone usue their phone the same way. First, its a phone and it primary function is a communication/messaging device. A large percentage of people still use it for its base function. Myself and a lot of friends and co workers like the keyboard. I had a Storm 2 for 2 years and i didn't realize how much I missed the physical keyboard. Not everyone needs to view media and play games on their phone. I have my tablet for that, and a netbook for real mobile functionality. I agree they have fallen behind, but some of it is do to poor management as much as it has to do with poor product innovation.
    09-23-11 05:23 AM
    [QUOTE=HotJava;6697324]

[QUOTE]

Ok I'm gonna have to say I'm not excited for QNX. It's basically a beta at this point and is gonna be buggy and not working 100% when it is put on a blackberry. I won't touch one until QNX 2.0. I just see myself repeating past mistakes as I did with the original droid. Great device but, the os was brand new and not ready for prime time. If I had waited for 2.0 I might've stayed with it. Point being QNX should be awesome once they start ironing out the bugs. And believe me there will be plenty. os7 is a very long and ironed out os that works very well and smooth. I don't need all that flashy BS because I'm more productive without it.
    09-23-11 05:32 AM
    Add another vote to the "i love my 9930 the way it is". it fits my needs perfectly,best of both worlds. Battery life is horrible for me when i have almost no signal, leave wifi on even when not using it, and am bridged to my pb all day. Give me a good 3G signal and battery is good all day. And i dont have any issues with os7. But like others have said, to each their own.

i do have friends/co-workers that moved from 83xx to android when rim was stale. now they see my 9930 and think it is exactly what they want. AFTER a year of using full touch android phones.

9930 is not old fashioned, it is a well packaged hybrid that gets s*#t done.
    09-23-11 06:46 AM
    Listen there is two types of buyers of smartphones nowadays. Functionality geeks (read Blackberry users) and Hipness geeks (read whatever you want). We all know who are the majority. RIM has given you the 9900 and you seem happy. Great.
    Now back to bread and butter issues. Appealing to the mainstream. RIM needs the mainstream to survive. How many reports like the last before good old RIM folds up? Yeah, got your attention now huh?
    The mainstream; first and foremost care about screen real estate, looks, specs and then functionality. In more or less that order. Mantaining market share is a different thing to growing it. At the moment the 9850/9860 is just not going to cut it. It is not staking up well on looks and is average elsewhere. If Blackberries were the most popular devices that wouldn't be so critical but that is not the case right now. The 9810 seems to be a rehashed 9800 (a much better 9800) and that similarity is not going down well. A hard lesson in that in this sector the internals and the externals matter equally well. The hipness geeks dont even look twice. RIM needs to pander to the hipness geeks to claw back the market share. BBM Music and video is a good start but more work is needed. QNX is a fresh slate to right everything.
    So back to the topic; the 9900/9930 is okay, it is selling well anyway. Now let's move on to other matters. The next front is the QNX. To ape the 9900 or any existing blackberry is to err.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 09-23-11 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
    09-23-11 08:34 AM
    I guess I'll chime in on this one. First the disclaimer: I have NOT had a lot of different smart phones, only two... hardly a huge sampling. But...

My other smart phone was an HTC Imagio. I got it a couple of years ago thinking, it's probably time to get into this smart phone thing... everyone has one! (I am a techie by the way, worked in the field of electronics all my life). The Imagio was such a neat toy. Everything was configurable and I mean everything. I spent the first two months playing with my toy and loved every minute of it. But actually using it drove me crazy. The internet experience was so awful that I never used it. Never emailed either. It was a touch screen only and every time I touched it, it did something I didn't expect. Even using it as a phone was difficult. I missed my physical buttons! It made me so crazy that I went back to Verizon and bought a simple flip phone again. Cost me a bunch for that two month experiment! I swore I'd never get another smart phone, and couldn't understand what everyone saw in it.

Fast forward a few years and way past my "new every two" date. I began thinking about another smart phone (shudder). I began doing the research and ran across the Bold 9930. I decided to give it one more try (and this time only give it two weeks so I could go back to my flip without the $$ hit).

WOW! What a difference. This is the phone I should have had the first time around. It does everything I need it to do. Internet experience, great. Email/texting, great. Keyboard, awesome. Touch screen, great! This is such a polished phone. Everything about it is intuitive, which for me means a well thought out design. There are a hundred and one "little things" that really impress me about this phone.

I love this phone and it makes me sad to read in these forums that RIM is having such problems with marketing. I don't want to go into a "touch screen only" future. Flip phones are going extinct so I'll have nothing to go back to some day.

Yes, everyone wants something different from their phone, but for me I became comfortable with my Bold instantly and it's a keeper.
    09-23-11 09:33 AM
    The problem is... That you gave zero reason as to why the 9850/9860 didn't meet your expectations.

Is it not pretty enough for you or something?

Pull your head out from between your legs and look at the big picture. RIM doesn't need your recommendations...
    Dude, have you used it? It sucks. Worst. Keyboard. Ever. for a touchscreen phone......and small screen compared to Android....and plasticky, worse than anyone else and poor camera.......high price....can I go on?
    09-23-11 10:13 AM
    My motorcycle I built is considered "old school" too. Some people love it, some don't. I'm one of the people who love it and I could give a rats a$$ what other people think about it anyway. The important thing is does your phone do what you need it to do. RIM's new phones seem to be greatly improved, I may pick up a 9900 tonight. Yes there is an app shortage compared to other devices, and if you need tons of apps on your device to occupy your day then other platforms would be better. QNX may provide the best of both worlds. I use BBM a lot for both work communications and keeping in touch with my immediate family, and especially for both when on international travel, and BB's data efficiency is key as I don't have to turn off my phone's data when I travel to be hit with a huge bill. It's all about what's best for you. For some it is BB, some it is Android, some it is iOS.
    09-23-11 10:15 AM
    I'll tell you what is oldskool

09-23-11 10:21 AM
    I'll tell you what is oldskool

Click to view quoted image
    Let me tell you, that phone was magnificent!!!!!!!! If you added the bigger battery, it was still thin, powerful, and GREAT signal quality.
    09-23-11 10:53 AM
    I know I use one from time to time just to confuse people - great fun and still in my opinion a great phone.

Oh and I love the button-flick open-answer thing

Even today the thing still looks modern IMO
    [email protected] likes this.
    09-23-11 01:42 PM
    If RIM put the processor to work better and faster in the new bold it would sell like hot cakes. The difference I see is that rim isn't using the processors ability to its fullest. My old droid incredible has a smaller and slower processor but runs so much faster. Maybe an 0S update will fix this!

wats wrong with the current processor? my bold runs extremely smooth. i just switched over from an android and there is NO way your droid incredible runs smoother than a bold. even with dual core processors, android OS LAGSS.

and i am glad they have the processor as is. I didnt switch over from android to experience the same poor battery life.
    09-23-11 01:58 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD