I am a Canadian user who just bought a Bold 9900 with just a talk/text plan - no data plan -- can I still set up an email account if I use wi-fi?

Despite following the user guide instructions, I have no "Email Set Up" icon in either my set up folder or from my main screen. When I search, nothing comes up.

Thank you for your help. As far as I can tell by searching, this question has not been asked, but if it has, sorry.
    07-23-12 06:50 PM
    No BB data plan = No email setup (not even over wifi)
    07-23-12 06:54 PM
    Thank you!

I am not very technical but my Playbook allows me to sync my email and I don't have any kind of data plan with it so I hoped the Blackberry would too...
    07-23-12 06:57 PM
    On BB smartphone, BIS enables the Browser, Mail and BBM app. Without BIS, these apps won't even show up on the screen. There's no way to use these apps unless you're on BIS.

For the Playbook, since it doesn't rely on BIS, you can then sync your mails over wifi.

Quick question,if you don't mind. Why use a BB if not planning to subscribe to BIS?
    07-23-12 11:38 PM
    Interesting. I upgraded to a 9900 a few days ago and activated it, but my old Torch still receives emails over wifi without a radio signal. Is that because it was previously set up?
    I was planning on using the Torch to stream music over my home/car stereo.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if I'm incurring charges on the Torch somehow. Should I pull the SIM card out of it?
    07-24-12 08:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD