OK - first, let me start off by saying I know this has probably been covered a few times before, so before someone says that, or "do a search," I did. I admit it was a quick search and I didn't find what I was looking for. So...with that said:

I have been loyal to BB until recently. I had the Curve, the Tour (2 of them) and the 9650. In between the Tour and the 9650, I tried the Droid and the Droid Incredible, only to come back to BB. I couldn't type on them and missed my keyboard, etc. However, when VZW launched the iPhone, I jumped on board. I was tired of my slow, terrible internet experience and having crappy maps/navigation, etc. I would never get on the internet on the BB unless it was an absolute must. I have to say, the iPhone has been great in 95% of all aspects. I did jailbreak it my 2nd week in, and am now running ios5 beta. I do not like the way the iOS looks in many ways and the apps all are just squares sitting on the desktop, and you can't really do anything about that. Also, even though I can type on the iPhone well, (sometimes in 1-hand instances, faster than the bb), and it does everything I need, I still feel like the BB is more of a "professional, business person" device. I am about to graduate law school after having been a medical sales rep for years, and I just don't get that sense of "business" feel with the iPhone. With the new 9930 out there, I am seriously thinking of coming back.

So my question is, for all users that have switched/are switching from iPhone to the new 9930, please tell me why, and also what you think now that you have switched? I am afraid I will miss the internet capabilities, camera, the few key apps I actually use, and overall experience of the iPhone. I do use my phone for: 1. Text/email. 2. Internet 3. phone. 4. Camera 5. Apps.

And before anyone suggests, I am not looking to own both. I want 1 phone, that is going to make me happy (or as happy as possible!)

Thanks in advance!
    08-31-11 07:55 AM
    I went from the iPhone 4 running iOS4 to the BB 9900.

I have always been a BB user, however over the last year or so I had gotten a little tired of the platform. I have own many of the different models that have come around throughout the years. Before this one, I owned the 9780. I thought that was a good little phone, but it was still a little slow and kind of chunky.

I went to the iPhone 4 because I had previously owned a 3GS and enjoyed it. I like the iPhone 4, I used the camera a lot, as well as lots of apps. They are definitely handy. My uses are primarily the same as yours, mostly text/email, internet etc...

I switched back to BB when the 9900 came out and I have not regretted it for one second. This phone has been absolutely perfect since the day I got it. The internet browsing, while not quite up to the iPhone standard, is really solid. Adding the touch screen really made a difference for that I feel. The pinching to zoom is smooth, and pages look great when they load.

The messaging on the BB has always been the best, so no need to get into that. The camera, despite not having autofocus, is still very solid. I generally find myself taking pictures with the cameras on my phones because they are always on me, and this camera has not disappointed me yet. Shots come out very clear for average daily use (no professional photographer here).

As for apps, well it's definitely not as rich as the iPhone App Store. That being said, I still find enough apps to get the job done. The only thing that BB doesn't really have going for it are the games. There is almost nothing decent from that standpoint. Otherwise, the others are great.

I also used the music player a lot on the iPhone. I go to the gym all the time and like to listen to music. So far, the BB hasn't had any problem keeping up with that. I don't create insane amounts of playlists or anything, just basically set it on shuffle and let it go, and it's perfect for that. Sounds great too.

I would definitely recommend picking this up over the iPhone. You really won't be missing out on much.
    08-31-11 08:23 AM
    You can read my review, I came from a Verizon iPhone 4.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...review-644312/
    08-31-11 08:24 AM
    I'm kind of in the same boat you're in, although I've never been a BB die hard. Actually, I've been with the iPhone since the original. However, I always find myself gravitating towards BB Bold because of the nice form factor. I thought with the 9900 I could finally justify replacing my iPhone with it, but unfortunately I still don't think it's logical for me to do so.

I'm on AT&T and would have to wait anyways, but a few days ago I went to a Verizon store and checked out the 9930. It's a solid phone, but there's key things my iPhone still does better. First, the camera would be a downgrade. Maybe for many this isn't a big deal, but for me it is. I'm not saying I need professional quality photos, but in 2011 I need my smartphone to be a good substitute for my point and shoot. Second, the apps. Many high profile apps still aren't updated for OS7. Could you imagine if for some reason the new iteration of iOS was going to make Pandora stop working? They would have it updated long before the final version of the OS was pushed to end users. That lack of support makes me weary about support in the future. Lastly, the memory. I dislike how app memory is still capped at around 180mb and you can't store them on the media card.

That's just me and I'm not trying to "put down" the 9900/9930. It just seemed like we were in a semi-similar position so I thought I'd give my take.
    08-31-11 08:25 AM
    Sold my I4 last week....had it for a year. Great device for media, horrible for calling - ATT call failed sucks!!!!!!!!! Email on i4 w attachemnts is horrific.

Long time bb user is SO HAPPY with my Verizon 9930 after 2 days....I am so more productive with it in all aspects. I actually miss obout 2 apps from i4..thats it!

I can zoom in on pdfs with touch creen and i get great signal strength every where!!!

I liked the i4 and dont buy into the "its a toy" theory at all. One can run a business from it forsure. but for calling, texting, emails and bbm...BB kicks apples arse.
    08-31-11 08:30 AM
    OK - first, let me start off by saying I know this has probably been covered a few times before, so before someone says that, or "do a search," I did. I admit it was a quick search and I didn't find what I was looking for. So...with that said:

I have been loyal to BB until recently. I had the Curve, the Tour (2 of them) and the 9650. In between the Tour and the 9650, I tried the Droid and the Droid Incredible, only to come back to BB. I couldn't type on them and missed my keyboard, etc. However, when VZW launched the iPhone, I jumped on board. I was tired of my slow, terrible internet experience and having crappy maps/navigation, etc. I would never get on the internet on the BB unless it was an absolute must. I have to say, the iPhone has been great in 95% of all aspects. I did jailbreak it my 2nd week in, and am now running ios5 beta. I do not like the way the iOS looks in many ways and the apps all are just squares sitting on the desktop, and you can't really do anything about that. Also, even though I can type on the iPhone well, (sometimes in 1-hand instances, faster than the bb), and it does everything I need, I still feel like the BB is more of a "professional, business person" device. I am about to graduate law school after having been a medical sales rep for years, and I just don't get that sense of "business" feel with the iPhone. With the new 9930 out there, I am seriously thinking of coming back.

So my question is, for all users that have switched/are switching from iPhone to the new 9930, please tell me why, and also what you think now that you have switched? I am afraid I will miss the internet capabilities, camera, the few key apps I actually use, and overall experience of the iPhone. I do use my phone for: 1. Text/email. 2. Internet 3. phone. 4. Camera 5. Apps.

And before anyone suggests, I am not looking to own both. I want 1 phone, that is going to make me happy (or as happy as possible!)

Thanks in advance!
    Congrats on graduating law school!
    08-31-11 08:43 AM
    Thanks for all the great replies! Can you guys comment on the maps/navigation compared to i4? Also, how about the Facebook app?
    08-31-11 08:48 AM
    I stupidly left Bb to get the iphone, and regretted it. Iphones are great phones, but without the apps they aren't anything great, and I'm not a huge app person.

I left iphone to go to windows phone 7 phone, and straight back to BB when the 9900 was released

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-31-11 09:01 AM
    Any info on the maps/navigation or Facebook app? Thanks!
    08-31-11 10:47 AM
    Any info on the maps/navigation or Facebook app? Thanks!
    Facebook app works great for me.

Maps/Navigation are giving me a bit of a problem. I'm not sure if there is a GPS bug related issue, but it puts me in the wrong location. I also live out in very rural area. Hopefully that will be fixed with a OS update.
    08-31-11 10:54 AM
    Facebook is great. I was using the new version on my 9650 while still in beta and it runs much smoother now on my 9930. The interface is definitely designed with touch screens in mind.

Maps/nav is fine, I've never had a problem with it. I live in the suburbs of NYC, though, and always have excellent VZW coverage (3 bars minimum everywhere).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 12:32 PM
    Am bold user for 7 years but I did have an iphone 3gs am telling you gooo get the blackkkkberryyy bolddd 990000. Wow this thing is a monster .... U will luv evry moment with it ... Sorry but u won't give iphone this kind of luv. Onley blackberry

Luv my new 9900

08-31-11 01:16 PM
    I stupidly left Bb to get the iphone, and regretted it. Iphones are great phones, but without the apps they aren't anything great, and I'm not a huge app person.

I left iphone to go to windows phone 7 phone, and straight back to BB when the 9900 was released

Just curious, how was the Windows 7 phone? Lol, I had heard somewhere that that OS of phones weren't selling too good.
    08-31-11 01:36 PM
    Why don't you wait for the iphone 5 to see the new features to see if that would change your mind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 02:18 PM
    I have both phone, the blackberry is far superior to the iPhone as far as email and phone go. The only thing youll miss is the vast application catalog of the iPhone
    08-31-11 02:42 PM
    Ok, thanks guys, good info. Glad to hear the Facebook app works great. My concern about the Maps was just that I have stopped carrying my Garmin or relied on the iPhone to navigate a lot since I have gotten it. Just wanted to know if the Maps on the 9930 were equivalent to the iPhones. From what I have heard, they are both Google Maps so guessing they are close?

Also lax, two reasons why wouldn't want to wait on the iPhone 5, 1. My iPhone 4 will not bring as much on ebay if I were to wait until the new ones come out. 2. I already have iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, the iPhone 4 works great and from everything I have read the 5 isn't going to offer anything extra that I need. Unless they were attaching a keyboard to the bottom of it, I don't think I need to see how much different it is.

TheVetteMan - great review!

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to indecisiveness and scared I will miss what the old phone did compared to the new phone. This was the same thing that happened when I originally switched from BB to androids - then I switched right back. Even though the android was "cool", the BB was more of what I needed. My wife got an iPhone4 2 months ago after I hounded her and kept showing how it was better than the Droid (original). She loves it. It does make it easy when we both use the same chargers in the cars, can FaceTime (although only did a couple of times), apps are the same when we are riding around using the other's phone, etc.

Again, at the end of the day, just scared of making the wrong choice and regretting it. I have bought a ton of apps that I do use occasionally on iOS, and not sure if bb will ever get those. For instance, Personal Informant - it syncs right to Google Calendar and tasks. Does BB have an app that does that? (Not just my regular iCal on the computer either, I need access to my wife's calendar as well).
    I also have Evernote for keeping track of notes on phone and computer. Pandora, Urbanspoon, Fastcase (for legal cases), JotNot Pro (for scanning to pdf from phone), Kindle, a few diff weather radar in motion apps, Directv app, and Words with Friends. Other than those, I could care less about the billions of apps iOS has to offer.
    You guys have been very helpful though. I guess if there were some previous iPhone owners that said they bought the 9930 and traded it back in, then that would tell me a different story.
    08-31-11 03:59 PM
    You mentioned you need to scan PDFs. Has anyone told you the 9900 and 9930 camera does not have auto focus and close photo shots of documents are not clear. This functionality can't be compared with the IP4
    08-31-11 04:30 PM
    I have read that about the camera, however I have seen some decent pics of text taken that I figured would work fine (although nothing like i4). This is something I have done once every couple of weeks or so, so it isn't a deal breaker.
    08-31-11 05:01 PM
    Just curious, how was the Windows 7 phone? Lol, I had heard somewhere that that OS of phones weren't selling too good.
    i had the htc hd7. couldnt fault the os, it was just microsoft and their stupidly slow update creation. the phone itself suffered terribly form degrading.. the phone look very poor and old in only a short time. HTC deamed this normal wear and tear... BS...
    Mikey112 likes this.
    08-31-11 05:14 PM
    Just thought I would let you guys know, I just got home from the Verizon store and right beside me is my new 9930 They couldn't transfer my contacts over for some reason, so now I have to figure that part out. - Oh, and I knew I was "back home" with the right devise when on the way home I look down because I had that wonderful, missed, flashing LED with a new message!
    08-31-11 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD