Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for using the Bold 9900 on a prepaid (no-contract) plan in the US? I can't decide which carrier to choose if I buy a Bold 9900 on ebay. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    06-06-16 05:42 PM
    Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for using the Bold 9900 on a prepaid (no-contract) plan in the US? I can't decide which carrier to choose if I buy a Bold 9900 on ebay. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    You need to make sure the prepaid plans actually support BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service). In my experience, most, if not all prepaid plans DO NOT support it.

I learned this the hard way when I tried to use a 9810 on an AT&T prepaid plan. The problem is none of the store reps and few phone reps actually know what BIS is. The rep said it would work just fine, so they set me up only to discover it is NOT supported. I had to switch to one of their post-paid plans.

Keep in mind post-paid plans don't require a contract and you can stop them any time. But there are usually activation fees and they usually do require a credit check.

MVNOs like Ting, Straight Talk, and Net10 do not support BIS, either. You have to go with one of the "Big 4" - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    06-06-16 08:31 PM
    Try T-Mobile. If you get it on prepaid, it costs $10 in addition to your monthly plan.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    06-06-16 11:04 PM
    Tmobile has an amazing prepaid if you don't talk on the phone much : 100 minutes, unlimited sms and 5gb data (actually I think it's 10gb) for $30 a month! Activate only online or at Walmart

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 12:27 AM
    I had my 9930 running on VZW prepaid, had BIS on the $45 plan without any extra charges
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-08-16 08:49 PM
    Tmobile has an amazing prepaid if you don't talk on the phone much : 100 minutes, unlimited sms and 5gb data (actually I think it's 10gb) for $30 a month! Activate only online or at Walmart

Posted via CB10
    Does T-Mobile include BIS in this prepaid plan at no charge? I once had this plan for my old Nexus 4.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    06-08-16 09:01 PM
    Does T-Mobile include BIS in this prepaid plan at no charge? I once had this plan for my old Nexus 4.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    Its not BIS. That does not exist. It is called unlimited Blackberry Service. It's free with the postpaid Simple Choice plan ($50 or more per month). If you are on prepaid, then it's $10 in addition to your prepaid amount.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    Avenzuno likes this.
    06-08-16 10:25 PM
    Cricket Wireless is an excellent option. Some of my colleagues use this network for their BlackBerry Passport, Classic and Bold 9900. There's no contacts and you get the same service as with AT&T which actually own Cricket Wireless.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-16 04:06 PM
    Cricket Wireless is an excellent option. Some of my colleagues use this network for their BlackBerry Passport, Classic and Bold 9900. There's no contacts and you get the same service as with AT&T which actually own Cricket Wireless.

Posted via CB10
    Cricket Wireless is an excellent provider -- but I'm pretty sure they do not offer BIS. I was with Cricket before my company put me on their corporate AT&T plan and it was great, but I tried to get BIS with them and I didn't have any luck.
    06-09-16 04:35 PM