Having now handled about 10 Bolds and from what I've read in these forums this is what I used to purchase;

1. Call, menu, return, end panel. Ensure that it is not raised above the screen i.e. it should be flush with the screen.

2. Trackpad. It shouldn't be creaky or squeaky. Also, check to make sure it is aligned in the center hold of the call-end panel. It might be slightly aligned to the right. Also check to make sure it isn't tiled in one direction.

3. Antenna. Make sure there isn't a gap at the bottom of the phone where it looks like something was pried into it.

4. Keyboard. Physically depress each key for correct feel.

5. Return button. Ensure it actually returns to the previous screen.

6. Menu button. Ensure it isn't mushy and gives a click when depressed.

7. Screen color. Go to the test screen and test the color. Hard to actually do without a comparison beside it but I found a couple that were visibly yellow without a nearby comparison.

8. Browser cursor. Check to make sure it doesn't move around randomly.

9. Double type. Only a couple of reports on this so not likely to be an issue like the 9780.

I returned two of them because I wasn't careful and didn't know what to look for. Hope this helps someone to avoid the pain of going back to the store.
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-15-11 at 02:05 AM.
    08-19-11 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the heads up I will be putting that to use on Sunday when I pick up my Sprint Bold
    08-19-11 11:57 PM
    Having now handled about 10 Bolds and from what I've read in these forums this is what I used to purchase;

1. Call, menu, return, end panel. Ensure that it is not raised above the screen i.e. it should be flush with the screen.

2. Trackpad. It shouldn't be creaky or squeaky.

3. Antenna. Make sure there isn't a gap at the bottom of the phone where it looks like something was pried into it.

4. Keyboard. Physically depress each key for correct feel.

5. Return button. Ensure it actually returns to the previous screen.

6. Screen color. Go to the test screen and test the color. Hard to actually do without a comparison beside it but I found a couple that were visibly yellow without a nearby comparison.

7. Browser cursor. Check to make sure it doesn't move around randomly and that when using the trackpad it isn't automatically selecting links.

I returned two of them because I wasn't careful and didn't know what to look for. Hope this helps someone to avoid the pain of going back to the store.
    I'm on my 4th device
    1st the send and blackberry button were pressed into hard and had to press down hard for it to work.

2nd the screen was not as bright as the 1st(they were not side by side and still i could tell)

3rd the compass was missing and after 4 wipes and three battery pulls it was no where to be found even with universal search.

all three + the one im using now were/are made in mexico 4.

Where did u purchase ur unit from, i know i had a hard time from best buy but exchaning 10....im just curious and maybe next time i'll go there as welll
    hope you a got a flawless one now.
    08-20-11 01:19 AM
    Really bro? You created a checklist before buying the 9900?

You realize she's not someone you're marrying, because its a product.

Just get the da$n phone and enjoy it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by jinxednuance; 08-20-11 at 01:39 AM.
    ecb123 and buwee like this.
    08-20-11 01:37 AM
    I handled about 12 x 9900 bolds in past week and I don't think I really complained about any one of them. lol. my trackpad squeaks and registers random leftward scroll but it's not bad enough for me to go get it swapped.
    08-20-11 01:40 AM
    LOL...Some people think buying a phone is like buying a car or a house...Sheez
    Its a phone people, buy it, use it for a year or so, throw it out because a newer, better one will be available - A few hundred bucks is not like it's your life savings.
    gavinl1967 likes this.
    08-20-11 03:09 AM
    Its a phone people, buy it, use it for a year or so, throw it out because a newer, better one will be available - A few hundred bucks is not like it's your life savings.
    BUT a few hundred bucks is a LOT of money to some folks and why should companies get away with selling poor quality goods?

Your paying a higher price to get higher quality.

If Nokia can make handsets that are rattle, squeek, creak free at a few bucks then why cant RIM make them at a few hundred bucks?

S.
    08-20-11 03:50 AM
    Got to agree with this. Some people are anal to the n'th degree My keyboard creaks a bit, so what!
    buwee likes this.
    08-20-11 04:10 AM
    Another point to consider for those who get new phones every year, the op, like many members here, live in Canada, where we're subject to 3 year plans, making it almost as costly to buy out our contracts in order to get new contract pricing on phones as it does to buy the phone outright. I want to make sure I get a proper, working as advertised device because it will have to last me at least 2 years before it becomes economical to upgrade again. Sure I could pay $600 every year for the latest and greatest, in fact I'd love to have that much disposable income, but for now I'll settle with taking 60 seconds and having as awesome a device the Gretzky was made to be.
    DrewDT likes this.
    08-20-11 07:39 AM
    So where do you look to determine the location of manufacture?
    08-20-11 08:08 AM
    So where do you look to determine the location of manufacture?
    On the side of the black box.
    08-20-11 04:33 PM
    Another point to consider for those who get new phones every year, the op, like many members here, live in Canada, where we're subject to 3 year plans, making it almost as costly to buy out our contracts in order to get new contract pricing on phones as it does to buy the phone outright. I want to make sure I get a proper, working as advertised device because it will have to last me at least 2 years before it becomes economical to upgrade again. Sure I could pay $600 every year for the latest and greatest, in fact I'd love to have that much disposable income, but for now I'll settle with taking 60 seconds and having as awesome a device the Gretzky was made to be.
    Right on point and the reason why you want to take the extra minute in time to check for known potential problems. Frankly I can't think of any logical reason for not doing so.
    08-20-11 04:42 PM
    How do you get to the test screen?
    08-22-11 01:26 PM

options - device and then type "test"

08-22-11 01:53 PM
    Wow this is a bit crazy imo

08-28-11 01:54 AM
    Had to ti return TWO Bold 9900s to Telus. First one, the light bleeds from the bottom and the second one had these wired sounds when I type on the keyboard and it also double typed. Yes... double typed!!
    08-28-11 02:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD