Hello!

It's no surprise that a lot of BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 units have nuked or even bricked themselves. Looking through the posts here on the forums, it seems that most incidents occur overnight, i.e. the user wakes up to a dead handset in the morning.

I did some testing with a Sprint BlackBerry Bold 9930 (on the latest Verizon OS) and found out that when I plug in my device to charge off the wall, the battery seems to charge as expected until the battery indicator reaches 98% or so. I noticed that the indicator would stay at 98% for an hour, which is definitely not normal. After a battery pull, the handset boots as expected, but with a 100% battery charge. I realized that there's something wrong and the handset is probably overcharging or something similar (though I expect there to be hardware based protection against overcharging).

Whenever I drain the battery to below 50% and charge off the wall, the same happens. The battery indicator stalls at 98% and the handset keeps flashing the charging icon, as if it was charging. However, if I plug my BlackBerry to my computer and charge via USB, no matter how much battery was left, it'd always finish up to 100%.

So, while I have no evidence or further explanation as to why this happens, I'd expect the BlackBerry to nuke or brick itself if it's left at 98% and "charging" for long enough. Don't want to test that myself, though. Just seemed like a plausible cause because most people leave their BlackBerry handsets charging overnight, so it might not be apparent to them that the charging doesn't work as expected.

Has anyone else noticed the same?
    12-04-11 09:10 AM
    I did some testing with a Sprint BlackBerry Bold 9930 (on the latest Verizon OS) and found out that when I plug in my device to charge off the wall, the battery seems to charge as expected until the battery indicator reaches 98% or so. I noticed that the indicator would stay at 98% for an hour, which is definitely not normal. After a battery pull, the handset boots as expected, but with a 100% battery charge. I realized that there's something wrong and the handset is probably overcharging or something similar (though I expect there to be hardware based protection against overcharging).

Whenever I drain the battery to below 50% and charge off the wall, the same happens. The battery indicator stalls at 98% and the handset keeps flashing the charging icon, as if it was charging. However, if I plug my BlackBerry to my computer and charge via USB, no matter how much battery was left, it'd always finish up to 100%.

So, while I have no evidence or further explanation as to why this happens, I'd expect the BlackBerry to nuke or brick itself if it's left at 98% and "charging" for long enough. Don't want to test that myself, though. Just seemed like a plausible cause because most people leave their BlackBerry handsets charging overnight, so it might not be apparent to them that the charging doesn't work as expected.

I haven't noticed it. My battery goes to 100% either way. But my device hasn't bricked either. It's possible, though, that the protection against overcharging is defective in some units. Is that circuitry in the device or in the charger? Maybe certain chargers are defective.
    12-04-11 09:15 AM
    Unless I'm mistaken, the battery itself should have a chip telling the charger how much to charge and when to charge. In addition, the charger should also have some preventive measures against overcharging a device. Lastly, the phone software itself should be aware of the charging process as well and reflect the change when charging has finished.

Can't believe that my charger is broken, as it has been used to successfully charge a BlackBerry Curve 8900, BlackBerry Storm2 9520, BlackBerry Bold 9650 and a few others before this new BlackBerry Bold 9930... If it indeed is the battery, then getting a new battery won't fix anything necessarily, there has to be a way to determine whether the battery is good or not.
    12-04-11 09:54 AM
    Unless I'm mistaken, the battery itself should have a chip telling the charger how much to charge and when to charge. In addition, the charger should also have some preventive measures against overcharging a device. Lastly, the phone software itself should be aware of the charging process as well and reflect the change when charging has finished.

Can't believe that my charger is broken, as it has been used to successfully charge a BlackBerry Curve 8900, BlackBerry Storm2 9520, BlackBerry Bold 9650 and a few others before this new BlackBerry Bold 9930... If it indeed is the battery, then getting a new battery won't fix anything necessarily, there has to be a way to determine whether the battery is good or not.
    Since this is all conjecture anyway, that gives us three suspects: the circuitry in the charger, the circuitry in the battery, or in the device. Once a device is bricked, it may be that circuits in the device are irreversibly cooked, so swapping batteries, chargers, or anything else won't work.
    12-04-11 10:00 AM
    I believe its a software issue not hardware. I think rim knows what it is and they are just working on a fix. If it was hardware related more units would brick but all of them don't. It probably a combination of apps and keystrokes that cause the bricking.
    12-04-11 10:02 AM
    I believe its a software issue not hardware. I think rim knows what it is and they are just working on a fix. If it was hardware related more units would brick but all of them don't. It probably a combination of apps and keystrokes that cause the bricking.
    i agree with you word for word.
    12-04-11 10:05 AM
    If it's a hardware issue that is related to sporadic quality control problems in the manufacturing process, you wouldn't see all or most devices with the defect.

I can't help comparing this to the stuttering keypad problem that affected some, but certainly not most, 9780s. It was clearly a hardware issue, and it was eventually traced to a particular factory. I had to go through four handset replacements before getting one that didn't have the problem. Devices made after March 1 at that factory didn't have the problem, and that was the final fix.

So it doesn't seem far-fetched to me that something similar could be going on with the 9900, in either the battery chip or charge regulating circuitry in the device.

It would be better for everybody concerned, however, if it turns out to be something that can be fixed in an OS upgrade.
    12-04-11 11:14 AM
    Hello!

It's no surprise that a lot of BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 units have nuked or even bricked themselves. Looking through the posts here on the forums, it seems that most incidents occur overnight, i.e. the user wakes up to a dead handset in the morning.

I've only had the sprint 9930 for a few days but have noticed that sometimes it coninues to show that its charging and never quits, if I unplug it then back in it charges for a bit then goes to full, u could be on to something. Mine hasn't bricked yet and doesn't do this everytime. Kind of makes me nervous to leave it plugged in though.
    12-04-11 11:46 AM
    I woke up to a bricked 9900 this morning. My battery has always charged up to 100% without a problem using the wall charger and I've never left it charging it over night. In fact when I left my 9900 last night it was on about 70% battery, only to find it bricked the next morning.

Must be something to do with the software, but what? Why does it happen over night and what causes it? Luckily my provider are sending me a new 9900 tomorrow but I'd like to hope that there's a fix for this soon.. I don't want this to happen again its very frustrating..
    12-04-11 12:12 PM
    I woke up to a bricked 9900 this morning. My battery has always charged up to 100% without a problem using the wall charger and I've never left it charging it over night. In fact when I left my 9900 last night it was on about 70% battery, only to find it bricked the next morning.
    Sorry to hear it. But thanks for posting; it certainly undercuts the overcharging hypothesis.
    kittyeatlayke likes this.
    12-04-11 12:24 PM
    who is it that executes those keystrokes in the middle of the night? Must be the tooth fairy
    12-05-11 12:26 AM
    Hello!

What if it's the adapter, not the battery? A while back I was experiencing a charging issue identical to the underlined above in your post. It wasn't until after a nuked 9930 one morning that I discovered it was that particular adapter (shipped with the charging pod) with which all issues seemed to center around, and all charging problems vanished after discontinuing use of that adapter.
    12-05-11 01:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD