While searching info about the 9900, I found this photo. It is old yes, but is shows that RIM has some thoughts in this direction.

I think it will be the best BB smartphone ever. I have used the side sliding KB mobiles and they are extremely comfortable to type with.

07-20-11 05:49 AM
    do I spy a windows logo on the keyboard!? I think thats just a fan made image, nothing about that keyboard says rim to me!
    07-20-11 05:52 AM
    That is a fan made image, that looks like an old HTC keyboard

chances of a horizontal slider keyboard from RIM is pretty slim,
    They are known for an iconic keyboard, unless they put a SLIGHTLY larger than 9900 keyboard on a small 3" touch screen phone to be more of a square phone shaped like the style when closed I don't think RIM would risk making a new keyboard design for a niche market that is competitive
    07-20-11 06:02 AM
    RIM have apparently been testing horizontal sliders for some time, but I don't think the 9900 was ever destined to have one...

RIM is testing more Horizontal BlackBerry keyboards N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 06:03 AM
    RIM have apparently been testing horizontal sliders for some time, but I don't think the 9900 was ever destined to have one...

RIM is testing more Horizontal BlackBerry keyboards N4BB News for BlackBerry leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

It was purely a speculation piece.

No prototypes have been found, no pictures or leaks, no code names that have gone to die.
    07-20-11 06:06 AM

RIM is testing more Horizontal BlackBerry keyboards N4BB News for BlackBerry leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

Wow, the photo in the URL you gave, is fantastic.
    How cannot such a phone dominate the market for a while, specially with a suitable new OS ?
    07-20-11 06:09 AM
    I dont like horizon keyboards, I never turn my current phone sideways to type. just feels weird and too wide.
    07-20-11 06:11 AM
    I dont like horizon keyboards, I never turn my current phone sideways to type. just feels weird and too wide.
    May be the SW keyboards. But if you try the physical one, it is really close to using your laptop, never wrong letter or pushing 2 letters together.
    07-20-11 06:20 AM
    Wow, the photo in the URL you gave, is fantastic.
    How cannot such a phone dominate the market for a while, specially with a suitable new OS ?
    Note the author said phone was for illustration purposes only, it again looks like an HTC keyboard
    07-20-11 06:20 AM
    It was purely a speculation piece.

No prototypes have been found, no pictures or leaks, no code names that have gone to die.
    And your point is?

It says quite clearly at the end of the article that the picture is for illustration purposes only.

Just because no prototypes, pictures or code names have been leaked, doesn't mean RIM hasn't been testing them.

07-20-11 06:22 AM
    This looks shopped... I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.
    07-20-11 07:04 AM
    Shopped, rumor, speculation, total lie, I don't care. I'd take a BB phone like this over the 9900 or 9810 in a heartbeat.

07-20-11 08:26 AM
    Shopped, rumor, speculation, total lie, I don't care. I'd take a BB phone like this over the 9900 or 9810 in a heartbeat.

Question
    Is it the BBOS then that makes you love your BB?

Since the nature and design of the BB keyboard does not translate as well over a landscape as it does in a portrait,
    Not does RIM "shape" hold the torch or the storm in landscape and you can feel it is NOT the comfortable orientation designed

IF the BBOS is the key, over the BB feel, then I can understand this statement

07-20-11 08:38 AM
    Question
    Is it the BBOS then that makes you love your BB?

Since the nature and design of the BB keyboard does not translate as well over a landscape as it does in a portrait,
    Not does RIM "shape" hold the torch or the storm in landscape and you can feel it is NOT the comfortable orientation designed

IF the BBOS is the key, over the BB feel, then I can understand this statement

Actually a bit of both. BBOS and a keyboard. While I use the touch screen mostly on the Torch, most times using its keyboard I wish it were landscape oriented. The only viable alternative for me would be the WP7 LG Quantum, which had gotten very mixed reviews, and I'm still not sold on WP7, so I'll suffer with what I've got for now.

07-20-11 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD