Upgrading to a 9930 from a 9650. I have backed up my 9650 with blackberry desktop manager. When my 9930 arrives, can i just connect it to desktop manager and "restore it" using the 9650 backup file? A part of me wants to think this will load my 9930 with the 9650 OS/old settings etc. Comments?
    08-16-11 09:34 PM
    yes you can just restore your data such as contact, memos, messages, etc. onto your 9930 without issue
    08-16-11 09:50 PM
    Has anyone used blakberry protect to get everything back on the new phone?
    08-16-11 09:52 PM
    Has anyone used blakberry protect to get everything back on the new phone?
    thats how i restored my info
    08-16-11 09:53 PM
    You want to do a selective restore ONLY, and just restore data items like mentioned above, do NOT USE DEVICE SWITCH!!!!! I really screwed up my device doing that, took me a good hour to fix it.
    08-16-11 09:56 PM
    Basically you launch BlackBerry Desktop Software, create a back up of your current phone. Then when it is done, just inform your BBM members that you will be doing a device switch and will re add them, inform them to delete your current pin to minimize confusions on their end.

After you finish the security wipe from your old phone, it will be in the state where you had just bought it.

Now just connect your new phone, once it is connected to the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click on Device from the top left, then click on restore, but rather than simply clicking next, notice that the options says "All" change that to custom, and you will get the option of what components you want to restore.Only select Messages, contacts, SMS, MMS, BlackBerry Messenger, blackBerry Messenger Group, Browser Bookmarks

I can't remember the exact option list, but you get the picture. It is vital that you do not select options, application permissions, keystore certificates, trusted keystore, as those all contain certifications and permissions relating to your old phone which have nothing to do on the current setup and thus, might cause major slow down or errors on your phone
    08-16-11 09:57 PM
    The only thing I really transfer is my address book. Any programs that I bought I just re-download and use the activation key I got when I purchased it. I too used the "device switch" when going from 9930 to 9650 and yeah...I still have nightmares about it.
    08-16-11 10:02 PM
    You want to do a selective restore ONLY, and just restore data items like mentioned above, do NOT USE DEVICE SWITCH!!!!! I really screwed up my device doing that, took me a good hour to fix it.
    What was screwed up on your device after using device switch? This is the method I used and did not have any problems.
    08-16-11 10:03 PM
    What was screwed up on your device after using device switch? This is the method I used and did not have any problems.
    This is what happened to myself and others after doing device switch, definitely do selective restore lol

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9900-a-639185/
    08-16-11 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD