Since upgrading to the 9900 from the 9800 I'm having more reception issues. If I look at the signal strenght under device options while connected to the H+ network with Rogers, it ranges from -77 at the highest level (which is lower than a 3 bar wifi connection) all the way to a -102. This fluctuates within minutes in the same area.

I received a second 9900 to replace existing one and the new one was no improvement.
    10-17-11 11:45 AM
    Could be a network problem, rather than a problem with your phone. Have you called Rogers to see if they have a cell tower down or maintenance in your area?

FYI -77dBm is the highest 3G/H+ signal level you will ever see on a 9900, and you cannot compare that to a wifi connection.
    chasvs likes this.
    10-17-11 12:06 PM
    Could be a network problem, rather than a problem with your phone. Have you called Rogers to see if they have a cell tower down or maintenance in your area?

FYI -77dBm is the highest 3G/H+ signal level you will ever see on a 9900, and you cannot compare that to a wifi connection.
    It's amazing the number of folks who blame the 9900/9930 for things they know nothing about!
    10-17-11 02:20 PM
    I went from a Torch 9800 to a Bold 9900 and I have also had a lot of connection issues.

Two days ago my Bold 9900 died mysteriously during the night and now just flashes the LED every 10 seconds and refuses to do anything at all (there are numerous reports of this issue)

...so until I find a fix for my 9900 I am back to using a Nokia E51!!! ...but all of my connection issues have gone away, and I am getting double the range from my Bluetooth headset - so it is a fact that the 9900 is quite poor as far as signal sensitivity goes.

However, I remain hopeful that this will be improved with a future software release.

I am sure that if you are in a good signal area then you will have no complaints at all, but if you are in a poor signal area (such as me) - then it will be most noticeable.
    10-17-11 06:31 PM
    I don't understand the figures, but my 9900 see's SOS on the screen a lot more than my 9700 ever did! I would say both the radio and wifi signal strength is noticeably worse.

I'm UK Vodafone, has any one else found this?
    richiec85 likes this.
    10-25-11 05:24 PM
    I don't understand the figures, but my 9900 see's SOS on the screen a lot more than my 9700 ever did! I would say both the radio and wifi signal strength is noticeably worse.

I'm having the same problem with Orange UK, my 9300 & 9700 beforehand never had this problem and this is my second 9900....
    10-25-11 07:11 PM
    I too get the random SOS's flash on my screen. Full 3G then blam, SOS, then back to 3G. Hasn't happened while on a call, and doesn't necessarily happen while on the move. As it's just very quick, hasn't actually disrupted my use of the phone in a noticeable way but it's certainly weird.

We've got 10 of these in the office now so I'll check in with the others to see the same thing.

Other than that, I've not had a problem with general signal strength, in fact, it's worked in places my torch never did so I'd say it's an improvement IMO. On Etisalat here in Dubai.

-Dirk
    10-25-11 09:31 PM
    It's amazing the number of folks who blame the 9900/9930 for things they know nothing about!
    You're wrong my friend. There are without doubt reception issues on the 9900. Mine often changes from EDGE to edge, and also drops the internet connection regularly. Please don't tell me it's a network or BIS issue, as I never have problems with my 9780 using the same sim card and network. Additionally, I never have any issues on the same network with my iPhone 4. What is it with BB fanatics that they simply cannot accept that the 9900 is less than perfect? To me, it's like a beautiful blonde - great to look at, but beauty is only skin deep, and below the surface it's sadly lacking.
    10-Dee-Q likes this.
    10-26-11 01:52 AM
    Wot o/s are all you running that have reception issues? I hazard a guess you've got .296 or .353
    I had bad reception and constant random SOS with both these.
    I'm on .440 and its a lot more stable- see S0S very rarely, I'm on O2 uk.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 05:19 AM
    I'm on .296

I've only had it a week, I don't to be messing about upgrading the OS yet. Where did you get your .440 OS from?
    Last edited by quattrojames; 10-26-11 at 05:27 AM.
    10-26-11 05:22 AM
    There are several links to the leaked .440 floating around, from fileshack to some other file sharing service. Since I've got a corporate device, I'm hesitant to mess with it (if I even can). I've chatted with a couple of the other 9900 users at work and they report the same thing, so I'll make a push for our IT to update our versions for us to .440 as we're all on .296 as well.

We'll see.

-Dirk
    10-26-11 11:36 AM
    I have reception issues as well. I note that I go from 3G to 1X frequently whereas my prior phones (same location) were locked onto 3G.
    10-26-11 01:30 PM

Hi, I'm with Virgin Mobile Canada and yes I have the same thing happening, both the radio and wifi signal on my 9900 are lousier than my 9700 ever was. I kept my 9700 as a back up and whenever I turn it on it picks up our house wifi instantly from anywhere on the property! I understood that the 9900 was way more powerful so I'm just a bit disillusioned.
    quattrojames likes this.
    10-26-11 06:44 PM
    I'm on .296

I've only had it a week, I don't to be messing about upgrading the OS yet. Where did you get your .440 OS from?
    Its a solution to your problem though mate, its very easy to do as there are loads of guides on here to help.
    with .440 i don't really have reception issues, its as strong connection as my 9700 ever was
    being able to pick an o/s that suits you best is one advantage of BB- if you use the desktop manager or the built in app loader its very easy and everything will be restored on your phone exactly as it was on the old operating system version.
    Last edited by chunt69; 10-27-11 at 08:20 AM.
    quattrojames likes this.
    10-27-11 08:18 AM
    I'm now running .440 - install didn't go smoothly, there was an error code and although it installed the new OS ok I had to go through and download the majority of my apps again. Irritating but no great hardship I guess.

Signal meter still seems quite up and down, I'll monitor for the next few days.
    10-27-11 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD