Here's what I found during testing - was wondering why dropped calls and poor reception had occurred from time to time...

Wanna bet that if you use a protective case on a 99xx you get better reception?

It's that sexy metal bezel that is blocking the phone signal from cell towers. Think iPHONE; same issue they had last year.

Metal conducts / blocks signal and lowers the effective radiated output from the phone's radios; all three of them. Install a case that completely isolates your hand from the bezel.

I tested with the case removed and installed.

I put the phone flat on a glass desk for this test.

Here are the results tested consistently over several minutes. I posted this on another board as well, where a user was complaining about reception issues and lost/dropped calls. They sent him another phone, but he still had the same results; poor reception in some areas causing lost calls and the inability to make calls in other areas.

I used an Otterbox Commuter case for this test.

1) NO CASE - Status shows -77dbm - not touching the phone
    2) NO CASE - Status shows -86dbm - with my hand touching the phone on three sides.
    3) WITH CASE - Status shows -77dbm - not touching the phone
    4) WITH CASE - Status shows -77dbm - with my hand touching the phone on three sides.

The phone sat in the exact same place through each test. It's not exactly scientific, but you can see what happens here. WiFi produces similar results.

Bottom line - this phone has to be isolated from the body touching the metal bezel IMO. I think given even weaker signal, the results would skew even worse resulting in lost/dropped calls.
    10-17-11 07:31 PM
    Agreed....
    10-17-11 07:37 PM
    I use my 9900 with a Plantronics Voyager Pro Bluetooth headset, which is superb... so I never need to have the phone in my hand or pressed against an ear.

However, just because the phone is not in my hand does not mean that I am not having connection issues - I am trying various locations around the house, but have problems a lot of the time, as I am not in a good signal area.

I am back to using an old Nokia E51 (since my 9900 has bricked itself) - and I have instantly found that the 9900 is a lot more sensitive than the E51, which has no issues in my home at all... I have also found that the E51 has about double the bluetooth range of the 9900 as well.

I am hoping that this sensitivity can be improved by a future software update, and that it is not just a hardware issue.... fingers crossed!

But, having a sensitive 9900 is far better than a bricked 9900!
    10-17-11 08:04 PM
    I doubt we'll see software to improve the reception, frankly speaking. I believe it's all hardware related; all three onboard radio's. No doubt it was RIM trying to be cost effective with the 99xx phone. The high speed processor and RAM had to come from some part of their parts /build budget.
    10-17-11 08:11 PM
    my 9930 works pretty well reception wise i dont have problems with dropped calls or anything had it for a month+ now
    10-17-11 09:07 PM
    My phone displays -86 to -90 regardless of if I sit it on the table or wrap both hands around the bezel...
    10-17-11 09:42 PM
    I thought the Iphone issue was peoples left hand closing the loop(gap) on the metal strip of their iphones and shorting out the aerial?

I have taken my 9900 out of its jellycase since getting a couple of BB charging pods, and have noticed no difference in my reception to Vodafone, nor in the connection to my Sure signal box...
    10-18-11 02:34 AM
    Your hand is simply covering up the antenna in the lower right corner. Put your palm over that corner and you can see the signal dropping. With a case on, this simply makes it harder for your hand to completely cover up that corner.

This is similar to "Antennagate", but is not on the same scale. The signal only drops by a bit, and that is if you completely cover the corner with your palm. On the iPhone4, however, simply placing your finger on the black strip between the two antennas can completely kill the signal.
    10-18-11 02:39 AM
    you guys are hilarious ! the antenna is not on the sides or the top .. its located on the bottom you see that cover its actually plastic to allow signal to get through its not metal

hheeh on 9900/9930
    10-18-11 07:03 AM
    Why don't you try and perform the test that I did, then tell us your hand on the phone directly, with no case, has no impact on the RF...try it with the mobile and WiFi radio. I did...and posted the results.
    10-18-11 07:08 AM
    You can see this on most of the Phones of the past 5 years, this small signal drop if you touch the phone.
    10-18-11 09:35 AM
    [QUOTE=FBA;6772059]Here's what I found during testing - was wondering why dropped calls and poor reception had occurred from time to time...

I used an Otterbox Commuter case for this test.

1) NO CASE - Status shows -77dbm - not touching the phone
    2) NO CASE - Status shows -86dbm - with my hand touching the phone on three sides.3) WITH CASE - Status shows -77dbm - not touching the phone
    4) WITH CASE - Status shows -77dbm - with my hand touching the phone on three sides.

QUOTE]

pls clarify for me, in gsm parlance, lower dbm is better or what?
    10-18-11 09:55 AM
    pls clarify for me, in gsm parlance, lower dbm is better or what?
    Yes, lower is better and -77dBm is the best signal you will get on 3G/H+

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 10:00 AM
    I don't have a case...i get -77 when placed on the table and when I'm holding it
    10-18-11 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD