I need help from professionals here. I recently installed (v7.1.0.523, Platform 5.1.0.393) onto my Bold 9900 and the battery drainage is insane. My battery does not last 5hrs during the day. I lose battery even over night!! Before I sleep around 1am, my battery is 100% and woke up at 5am, battery is 64%. While sleeping I lose 46% in 4hrs?? Then I turn off the Mobile Network, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and everything, I will still lose around 6-8% per hr.

Please tell me what is wrong with this phone? Previously I had a Bold 9700 and it lasted for 3 days with a single charge for light usage such as checking 4,5 emails and making less than 5 calls within 10, 15 minutes and 30 whatsapp a day. NOW with a Bold 9900, my phone literally dies in 5hrs.

Here is the details from Battery Analyzer Monitor on Battery Tests.
    It has only been a few hrs since I left my place. Exactly 2hr and 49mins.
    Battery
    Battery Drain Rate (High) 16.8%hr
    Battery Charge Rate 0%hr
    Average Level 52.86%

General
    Backlight 4.47%
    Bluetooth 0.0%
    Phone Usage 0.0%

Modules
    Avg # Modules 73
    Avg # Processes 71.55
    Total CPU 6.44%
    Modules with Highest CPU time
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_app 1.76%
    whatsApp 1.29%
    net_rim_bb_options_app 1.08%
    BatterySaver 0.58%
    net_rim_bb_device_analyzer_lib 0.52%

Emails Received 0.0/hr
    PINS Sent 0.0/hr
    PINS Received 0.0/hr
    SMS Sent 0.0/hr
    SMS Received 0.0/hr
    MMS Sent 0.0/hr
    MMS Received 0.0/hr

Media
    Audio Usage 0.0%
    Video Usage 0.0%

RADIO
    Wi-Fi Usage 0.0%
    Mobile Network Usage 95.97%

I started from 100% about 3 hrs ago and now I am down to half.

Here is what I did so far to fix my BB. 
    I wiped the original OS using BBSAK because with the original OS, battery life was terrible like 3hrs and installed 7.1.0.318 from Docomo Japan. I read in this forum before that the .318 battery life is better. I got somewhere around 6hrs and I have been using .318 for some time. Then recently I updated to .523 from SK Telecom Korea. I never had my BB last more than 6hrs with a single charge. I carry my charger to everywhere and it really frustrates me now.

I set up all the tips mentioned here like lowering the light settings to 10, clearing the cache and memory regularly, turning off the sound and switching to vibrations, closing all the unused programs. I mean you can see from the list above, I only use whatsapp for 30 messages. Is this a hardware malfunction? I checked the battery, but the battery seems to be working fine. I am guessing that my device just sucks... And after the complete wipe out of the previous OS, I still have some photos and files on the device. How come I still have whatsapp photos?

I cannot go back to the shop as I purchased my BB in Singapore while I was working there. Now I am permanently relocated in Tokyo for business.
    Please help me. I dont know what to do with this phone anymore....

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by memejo1982; 07-29-12 at 05:23 AM.
    07-29-12 05:14 AM
    16,8% per hour is waaaaay too much. With .318 I got around 2,5% per hour (daily average), with .523 it was around 2% per hour. Even when doing much stuff (MP3, browsing, BBM, Docs2Go, PDF) it rarely goes beyond 10%. That only happens when calling on 3G with poor carrier signal.
    From what I can see your backlight seems to be on pretty often, the rate of 4.47% reflects your BB is on and active rather often.

WhatsApp also seems to be pretty heavy on the battery, with nearly 1,30%. For comparision: Most of my CPU processes on daily bases are below 1%.
    I also don't know what's going on with that ribbon_app, usually that one sits at under 0,5% on my device. That BB_options thing ain't even showing on my Bold.

What kind of apps do you have installed? How is signal coverage in your area, decent or rather poor?

With .318 on a usual day my Bold lasted about 10-14 hours, with .523 it got boosted to around 12-16 hours.
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 05:28 AM
    Thanks Taigatrommel,

I never got more than 6hrs on .318 though.
    So far, I downloaded whatsapp, BlackBerry Travel, Bloomberg, Reuters, Channel News Asia, Signal Booster Demo, Cache Cleaner, AUTMemory, Advance OS and LED, Battery Saver, Battery Booster, Screen Grabber.

I have the best signal as I work nearby the tower. I always see 5 bars, if not 4 minimum.

What are those net_rim_bb_ribbon_app 2.32%, net_rim_bb_options_app 1.74%, net_rim_bb_device_analyzer_lib 0.86%, net_rim_manager 0.45% and net_rim_io_impl 0.25?
    And my phone is driving me like crazy:!!!!
    Last edited by memejo1982; 07-29-12 at 06:09 AM.
    07-29-12 05:50 AM
    I had the same problem, then i wiped the device with bbsak and installed .284. Now i get battery life approx. 1.5 days
    07-29-12 06:12 AM
    Are you serious Buky?
    No choice, I am going to use BBSAK again and wipe the whole system. I just wiped the system last week to fresh install this .523 though. and my previous .318 was not so good comparing to others. I thought it was better since I got around 5-6hrs average. I leave the house at 5:45am and reach an office by 7am. My battery drains from 100% to 80% with a few whatsapp messages and reading 4 news on Bloomberg. Then I charge the phone again in the office. During the lunch time, I go out for 15 minutes and lose 6%. I am so scared to touch my BB. I only use while I am charging.
    07-29-12 06:24 AM
    Thanks Taigatrommel,

I never got more than 6hrs on .318 though.
    So far, I downloaded whatsapp, BlackBerry Travel, Bloomberg, Reuters, Channel News Asia, Signal Booster Demo, Cache Cleaner, AUTMemory, Advance OS and LED, Battery Saver, Battery Booster, Screen Grabber.

I have the best signal as I work nearby the tower. I always see 5 bars, if not 4 minimum.

What are those net_rim_bb_ribbon_app 2.32%, net_rim_bb_options_app 1.74%, net_rim_bb_device_analyzer_lib 0.86%, net_rim_manager 0.45% and net_rim_io_impl 0.25?
    And my phone is driving me like crazy:!!!!
    I would suggest maybe deleting your third party apps to see if one of those is the culprit for your battery drain. Add them back on one at time and monitor your phone. Doesn't Blackberry Travel use your GPS and if so....this will drain your battery. Exit all apps that you don't need running. Some apps will have the option to "refresh" at certain intervals. Example....my BerryWeather has the option to update the forecast every 5 minutes....10 minutes.....1 hour.....2 hours etc. Instead of updating every 10 minutes I have my BerryWeather set to update every 1 hour. This will save on my battery life.

These are just my common sense suggestions. Good luck!
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 06:49 AM
    Are you serious Buky?
    No choice, I am going to use BBSAK again and wipe the whole system. I just wiped the system last week to fresh install this .523 though. and my previous .318 was not so good comparing to others. I thought it was better since I got around 5-6hrs average. I leave the house at 5:45am and reach an office by 7am. My battery drains from 100% to 80% with a few whatsapp messages and reading 4 news on Bloomberg. Then I charge the phone again in the office. During the lunch time, I go out for 15 minutes and lose 6%. I am so scared to touch my BB. I only use while I am charging.
    Well you have choice to try different bb OS. I've done some research here in forum, and couple of users recommend .284 for good battery life.
    I've tried this and now is everything fine.

I think i never gonna update my bb again.

Look here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...fe-bad-735231/

Look at my answer on side 4 post nr: 59
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 07:34 AM
    A faulty battery maybe ?

This OS (.523) has worked like a dream since I've updated.

I'm down 13% battery since 4 and 1/2 hours ago - using a few bbm mesaages - 12 emails - browsing - 2 app updates (about 5Mb) a reboot and writing this.

Oh plus its bridged 24 / 7 to my PB.
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 07:42 AM
    Personally I think this is a software issue. Most 7.1 releases offer good battery life and from my experience as well as from I've heard the .5xx releases are even better.

First I'd uninstall all your 3rd party boosters and savers. OS 7.1 comes with an integrated battery saving mode, which I'd prefer over aftermarket solutions.

I am very sure it is one of your installed apps which is causing this. Maybe a wrong configurated one which has a high refresh rate thus draining battery and CPU usage.
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 09:01 AM
    Thanks guys for the awesome help!!!! I will wipe the .523 with BBSAK and re-install .284 tonight to see if the battery life gets any better. But previously I had .318 and it lasted for 6hrs max. I mean usually it doesnt last 6hrs, I charge all the time in the office. Anyways let me test the .284 and feedback later.

Once again, thank you for the advice.

Have a good one
    07-29-12 09:45 AM
    Just an suggestion:
    If you wipe, don't reinstall all your apps at once. Maybe install Whatsapp if you really need it. Monitor your battery life and slowly install one app by one.

This way we might be able to figure out what's going on. Because I'll doubt that OS switch will work by itself.
    07-29-12 11:07 AM
    Install .523 with .536 java swap and shrink worked best for me
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 11:32 AM
    what is shrinking actually, how to do this, and what are the advantage of shrinking?

Thanks
    07-29-12 12:11 PM
    Have you tried replacing the battery yet? My original battery (Oct. 2011) was great and i would get 2.5% drain per hour. All of a sudden (July 2012) it went to 10+% drain per hour. I popped in the spare battery I had (but did not need) and now I am back to 2.5% drain per hour.
    memejo1982 likes this.
    07-29-12 12:18 PM
    I havent tried swapping the new battery yet as I went to a local Docomo shop on Saturday to test my current battery. As expected, the result was fine. They couldnt find the battery to be defect. So all I can really think of are the followings:
    net_rim_bb_ribbon_app 7.68%,
    net_rim_manager 2.8%,
    net_rim_bb_options_app 1.9%,
    net_rim_bb_device_analyzer_lib 1.86%,
    WhatApp 1.33%hr
    net_rim_io_impl 0.25%hr

It is scary to see the Battery Drain Rate (High) at 23.25%hr with only WhatsApp running in the background.

By the way, what are those programs? I tried to search on the web but I didnt quite understand what they are....
    All I know is they are originally equipped programs with .523.
    07-29-12 05:05 PM
    what is shrinking actually, how to do this, and what are the advantage of shrinking?

Thanks
    Download BBH Tools http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...s-tool-579729/ and tick what you don't need it just deletes it from your device giving you more memory.
    07-29-12 06:52 PM
    Thanks guys for the awesome help!!!! I will wipe the .523 with BBSAK and re-install .284 tonight to see if the battery life gets any better. But previously I had .318 and it lasted for 6hrs max. I mean usually it doesnt last 6hrs, I charge all the time in the office. Anyways let me test the .284 and feedback later.

Once again, thank you for the advice.

Have a good one

Just a question? Why don't u try the new .569 from dominica. People are giving positives about it. You should try it and check with battery analyser for atleast 2 days with 7 - 8 battery pulls

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-29-12 11:29 PM
    You may want to turn off the Location Services. Just start typing Location on the home screen and go to the options, it should be the only thing there. I turned mine off and suddenly my drain went from 6-8% an hour idling to 0-1% an hour idling. I'm on AIS Thailand .523 in Oklahoma.
    07-30-12 12:04 AM
    +1 for turning off Location services. Was killing my idle as well.
    07-30-12 01:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD