Hey guys what is the difference between these 3 rumored touch screen blackberries? Is one for curve, one for bold 9000, and blackberry bold 9700?

Thanks
    01-28-10 09:07 AM
    Not many details on the Pluto that I'm sure of. The Magnum was an older project which eventually turned into the Dakota. The Magnum was the first project to do hybrid (touch screen/keyboard) and the Dakota follows that idea as well. The Magnum project was supposedly abandoned.

Now it's all Dakota... The GSM based, Hybrid touchscreen and qwerty keyboard "holy grail" of blackberries.
    01-28-10 09:17 AM
    Thanks!. GSM?. Thats great to hear! When is the estamated release date? 2011?
    01-28-10 09:26 AM
    Hey guys what is the difference between these 3 rumored touch screen blackberries? Is one for curve, one for bold 9000, and blackberry bold 9700?

Thanks
    The Pluto was supposed to be a GSM all touch device, but nothing has been said about that in ages.
    01-28-10 10:04 AM
    So basically the Dakota is just a name change from Magnum for essentially the same device?

And I am going to assume that this hybrid device lands on AT&T and not the CDMA carriers right?
    01-28-10 12:06 PM
    i think they r the same device
    01-28-10 02:27 PM
    No, they're not the same device. They are different projects. They are based on the same concept, but they are different devices.

Its obvious RIM started this project a year or so after the BOLD 9000 was released. It's running old technology (oldschool surepress).

After better technology was released or whatever other reason, they must have scrapped this device and moved on to a brand new project: Dakota.

Planned release date is August.

We should see some news soon!
    01-28-10 05:57 PM
    rim should put a trackpad on this baby fo sure.
    01-28-10 07:50 PM
    The insiders are saying there IS a trackpad. !
    01-28-10 08:36 PM
    August? Hopefully sooner!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 09:13 PM
    No, they're not the same device. They are different projects. They are based on the same concept, but they are different devices.

Its obvious RIM started this project a year or so after the BOLD 9000 was released. It's running old technology (oldschool surepress).

After better technology was released or whatever other reason, they must have scrapped this device and moved on to a brand new project: Dakota.

Planned release date is August.

We should see some news soon!

Maybe it was running storm2 surepress? Id be interested to see the guy take it apart to see if it has the central screen button like the storm 1, or if it has four like the storm2, or some other amount? Perhaps this would give us some insight into what dakota may have
    01-28-10 10:18 PM
    Maybe it was running storm2 surepress? Id be interested to see the guy take it apart to see if it has the central screen button like the storm 1, or if it has four like the storm2, or some other amount? Perhaps this would give us some insight into what dakota may have
    it's possible but It didn't sound like storm 2 surepress. New surepress has that distinct click we hear in all the videos, you can compare the two, but I'm going 99.9% this prototype is running oldschool surepress.

It would also match with its almost identical form factor as the original 9000. Old looks, old tech.

RIM's cooking up something better I think...
    01-28-10 11:27 PM
    touchscreen fully qwerty and trackpad would be great
    01-28-10 11:33 PM
    The insiders are saying there IS a trackpad. !
    Well I know why they would put a trackpad on there, as it makes placing icons and clicking on smaller links much easier, but why have a touchscreen at all then? This is what bothers me most about these projects. The whole reason for a touchscreen is to clear up room for a larger screen, so I feel like they're missing the point.
    01-28-10 11:53 PM
    Well I know why they would put a trackpad on there, as it makes placing icons and clicking on smaller links much easier, but why have a touchscreen at all then? This is what bothers me most about these projects. The whole reason for a touchscreen is to clear up room for a larger screen, so I feel like they're missing the point.
    i 100% agree. sounds like a lot of work just to end up using the trackpad. feels like we come full circle back to the track pad. to me, its a lot of wasted time that could have been spent on improving the browser or improving the snappiness of the os or doing an overhaul on the ui.

i dont know what i would use the touchscreen for. is rimm spending all this time money and energy just so that i can to select "ok" or "cancel" on my screen? i dont get it, but to is to own, right?
    01-29-10 01:55 AM
    for a touchscreen to make sense... the screen would have to be a bit bigger... and more of a portrait mode... would make for a long BB... like a Pixi... unless it had a slide out like a Pre... but that's not likely...
    01-29-10 07:48 AM
    it's possible but It didn't sound like storm 2 surepress. New surepress has that distinct click we hear in all the videos, you can compare the two, but I'm going 99.9% this prototype is running oldschool surepress.

It would also match with its almost identical form factor as the original 9000. Old looks, old tech.

RIM's cooking up something better I think...

Thats what I thought too, however the design language of the screen is storm2. That being the call/end buttons being incorporated with the screen for one smooth surface.
    01-29-10 09:28 AM
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the hybrid BB device? I think that RIM is forcing things with a front-facing touchscreen/qwerty device. I would have rathered them make a slider. I never liked the Palm devices that had this setup, and I'm sure I won't like this. The bad thing is, that this will end up being the Bold replacement and my 9700 won't be upgraded to anything I would want.
    01-29-10 04:02 PM
    sometimes threads just get way too long and pointless to read through every page and every post so if the following has already been stated ... oh well.

after watching the release of the magnum based off the blackberry bold 9000 ... i would bet the dakota is the same device just based on the blackberry bold 9700 casing.

the concept seems really cool ...
    01-29-10 04:49 PM
    give me a surepress touch screen, qwerty with a trackpad and the look of a bold 9000. That would be the best BB ever.
    02-10-10 03:05 AM
    RIM needs to go slider... it's as simple as that...
    02-10-10 07:09 AM
    Reports are they are going there. There's been a lot of rumors of Pearl sliders, Bold sliders, and a Storm slider. Only time will tell.
    02-10-10 09:31 AM
    i 100% agree. sounds like a lot of work just to end up using the trackpad. feels like we come full circle back to the track pad. to me, its a lot of wasted time that could have been spent on improving the browser or improving the snappiness of the os or doing an overhaul on the ui.

i dont know what i would use the touchscreen for. is rimm spending all this time money and energy just so that i can to select "ok" or "cancel" on my screen? i dont get it, but to is to own, right?
    Touch screen is more easy to navigate and select in the menu or in the browser... Take exemple to the Palm Pro(look a the concept, not the quality )
    02-10-10 09:36 AM
    Am I the only one that doesn't like the hybrid BB device? I think that RIM is forcing things with a front-facing touchscreen/qwerty device. I would have rathered them make a slider. I never liked the Palm devices that had this setup, and I'm sure I won't like this. The bad thing is, that this will end up being the Bold replacement and my 9700 won't be upgraded to anything I would want.
    You are not the only one. I am not a touchscreen phone kinda guy - keep the trackpad and full QWERTY. No slider.
    02-10-10 11:06 PM
    I'm not so sure about that. I definitely don't want a horizontal slider. I like being able to operate my BB's keyboard with one hand if necessary. Traversing 4+ inches with one thumb just wouldn't work for me. However, a keyboard which slid out from the bottom of the device might make the whole thing unwieldably long.

All that being said, I agree that a large part of having a touchscreen is to give you MORE screen. I can just imagine my 9700's striking dpi resolution spread out across the whole device. That would be amazing and blow away anything else out there.

It's a dilemma. There may be no practical solution to satisfy all these expectations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 07:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD