I've got 7.1 on my 9850 and I've been using it for quite a while. The battery is up and down, but usually not too bad. I did notice something the other day that was quite annoying and killed my battery very quickly. The proximity sensor on my 9850 was continuously flashing. I was not on the phone, and if it was locked or in standby mode, it was still flashing. A battery pull fixed it, but I'm kind of annoyed that it happened. It hasn't been stuck like that since my last battery pull yesterday. Do the 9930 or 9900's have that sensor?
    01-10-12 12:13 PM
    Those 3 100%s are when it's unplugged. When I get up at 7AM I read emails while I'm making coffee, checking for BBMs and texts, read thru the Social Feeds. I don't use my device while I'm getting ready for work or driving. I'm sure if I used my phone heavily during the first two hours I was awake, the 100 > 92 would happen sooner.

I'm going to live with it too, since a 100 to 92% drop over 2 hours isn't far off from my 2-3% hourly drop overall. Battery life (for me) is better with 7.1 than with 7.0.0.374.
    Sorry, my bad. Misread your earlier post and did not realize you had posted use rates. I was more agreeing with you and commenting on the other screen shots. No offense intended to anyone.

If it takes an hour to and hour and a half to do "the drop", that is not horrible.

Cheers!
    01-10-12 12:14 PM
    If you're not on OS 7.1, please don't reply without clarifying that. I experienced none of the below problems on 7.0.0.374.

I am creating this thread because I believe I have a unique perspective on the battery drain issue some are experiencing with OS 7.1. I hope this helps those with poor battery life, and even those who haven't experienced a problem yet, but may in the future. Even if your battery life is great, please drop a quick reply.

First, here's my story.

1. I had a 9930 on .374. Battery drained at 2% per hour or so on Wifi, and up to double that with various 3G signal strengths. This is with mild to moderate use. I was happy with the battery performance.

2. Phone bricks, and I get a refurb. I immediately install OS 7.1 and the same apps.

3. Wifi battery drain is similar to what I remember on .374. 3G drain is a different story....

So, I have a bit of a controlled environment: same apps, same battery, different OS. I do have a new phone, but can't imagine that's the problem, based on the below. I've only had the new OS for a few days, but my theory is that a pattern of circumstances may be causing people's battery drain, not the "settling in" of the OS.

Yesterday, I left a Wifi network after experiencing a normal battery drain rate. My phone drained a bit faster after that, but was still very reasonable. At some point my signal dropped to a very weak 3G/1XEV while I was in a building. My battery began draining quickly - 20 to 30% per hour! I soon moved into a better signal area, but the damage was done! My battery was still draining at 20 to 25% per hour, and my battery remained very hot.

My battery had drained from 55% to 25% in the span of just over an hour, with my usage of the device amounting to next to nothing (mostly just checking the battery every 10 minutes)! Again, for some of this time I had a poor signal, but after getting outdoors to a better area the drain rate continued to be ridiculously, unacceptably fast. Thinking back, the same thing happened to me a day or two before in the same pattern: poor battery drain rate after spending some time in the mall with a weak signal, followed by continued rapid drain after regaining a better signal.

I did two things at this point: turned off Wifi (even though it wasn't connected), and disabled automatic updating of BeWeather. Immediately, the battery drain rate improved drastically! I stayed at 25% battery level for 30+ minutes. Without intervention, I think I would have been below 10% in those 30 minutes.

Here's my theory: people with 7.1 seem to fall into two camps with good or bad battery life, and which camp you fall into might be related to one of these factors:

1. The BeWeather app, or perhaps any app that uses GPS, goes into rapid-drain mode when it can't acquire a GPS fix. The only way to get back to a normal drain rate is to intervene manually (moving into GPS range doesn't fix the problem).

2. Leaving Wifi on causes horrible battery drain if you move into a 1X or similarly poor signal area, even briefly. The only way to get the drain rate back to normal is to connect to Wifi or turn off the Wifi option.

3. After going into a poor signal area, the OS or perhaps some app does not handle a poor connection well. It hangs or otherwise gets stuck, and drains the battery, even if the connection improves.

Hopefully what happened to me wasn't coincidence. Can everyone with battery drain issues under OS 7.1 think back to their experiences and see if the above matches what you have seen?

How many people have BeWeather set to GPS updates? Have you seen good or bad battery performance if you don't get a GPS fix for some period of time (app fails to locate)? The BeWeather issue is my #1 theory of what's causing these problems, since a lot of people have it, and I figure people may be indoors without a GPS signal. This could be the under-the-radar (ha ha, a pun) problem causing poor battery life for some people on OS 7.1.

How many have gone into poor signal areas and then had horrible battery drain, even after the signal gets better? Is it perhaps after leaving home for work and being first connected to Wifi? Do you leave the Wifi option on in this scenario? Do you then get good battery life on 3G or not?

I will continue to experiment. Any input would be appreciated by all, I'm sure! Perhaps my experience will unlock the problem and reveal a workaround for everyone on OS 7.1.
    Anytime the device encounters a poor signal it will begin hunting for something stronger, this alone will increase battery drain drastically. Secondly, when an app wants data it will need to work longer to get updates on a poor/spotty signal, adding additional drain while it waits on the signal to latch so it can do what it needs to. Turning off WiFi when not in use is also a good idea as it does the same thing - if it's not connected to a network, it's going to hunt for one. With GPS, it depends on the app using it -meaning if the app wants to update it'll ask the GPS to look for location, and if it says look for five minutes vs 30 seconds you'll see a major difference.

You may be experiencing something akin to what happened with my last device, or rather, devices. I was having some issues with data connection that after trying everything they could, Verizon exchanged my device. The one I turned over, while having a poor data connection, could get a GPS lock almost anywhere I went, in almost any building. Basements, malls, 50 yards inside a concrete warehouse - no problem. The replacement, however, could only do GPS updates and maps if I was outside or close to a window. You may be dealing with new hardware that isn't quite identical to your last device as well.

To answer a couple of your questions, BerryWeather (not BeWeather) is rock solid on my 9930 with 7.1, never has a problem finding a GPS location and never drains my battery doing it. I do have one or two spots that drop me down to 1X daily, never had a problem with increased drain after getting a good signal back.
    01-10-12 12:36 PM
    I've played with refresh rates, auto updates, wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, and 1XEV/global.

I have only seen a difference of about maybe 5% through out the day with all on and auto updates/refresh ASAP.

Not too bad... I'm ok with that.

It's all about usage.
    01-10-12 12:44 PM
    Some people claim it happens within 15 minutes, makes me wonder if they're ignoring the 3 entries at 100% before the first 92 shows up.
    The quick drop is real, although I'm with you in disbelieving it's in 15 minutes. Below is 6am to 7am, 100% charged; and 7am to 8am with the drop and recharge, all while still on the charger. Run a battery test on yours and see if you don't have something nearly identical after a couple days.

01-10-12 12:51 PM
    Sorry, my bad. Misread your earlier post and did not realize you had posted use rates. I was more agreeing with you and commenting on the other screen shots. No offense intended to anyone.

If it takes an hour to and hour and a half to do "the drop", that is not horrible.

Cheers!
    No offense taken, just wanted to make sure you knew those were "unplugged" readings
    01-10-12 01:15 PM
    The quick drop is real, although I'm with you in disbelieving it's in 15 minutes. Below is 6am to 7am, 100% charged; and 7am to 8am with the drop and recharge, all while still on the charger. Run a battery test on yours and see if you don't have something nearly identical after a couple days.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    I posted my results earlier. The drop to 92% hasn't been reported sooner than 90 minutes. I don't charge over night or leave it charging after it's fully charged. I've been monitoring it with Meterberry for a week or so now.

It's not an issue for me, Meterberry can be removed.
    01-10-12 01:19 PM
    I posted my results earlier. The drop to 92% hasn't been reported sooner than 90 minutes. I don't charge over night or leave it charging after it's fully charged. I've been monitoring it with Meterberry for a week or so now.

I'm thinking about removing Meterberry as well. How much % do you think Meterberry sucks up?
    01-10-12 01:38 PM

Same, removed MeterBerry not too long after loading 7.1.
    01-10-12 01:45 PM
    I'm thinking about removing Meterberry as well. How much % do you think Meterberry sucks up?
    I don't think MB is that taxing on the battery?
    01-10-12 01:55 PM
    I don't think MB is that taxing on the battery?
    I agree. Just curious on your thoughts. I removed it prior to updating to 7.1 when Sprint released it and put it back after. I didn't notice a difference. It's just a habit now for me to always look at it.
    01-10-12 02:05 PM
    I'm also battling poor battery life on my 9900. I'm slowly deleting apps to try and calculate the guilty party, bit in the meantime I've moved BerryWeather from half hour GPS updates to hourly cell location ones.

I only ever connect to wifi at home, and use Smartwifi to turn wifi off when I'm away from home. When I get desperate I'll try deleting Smartwifi and manually setting wifi on and off.

Good thread
    01-10-12 02:20 PM
    Thanks for this thread....
    01-11-12 12:54 AM
    I use the weather channel app for weather and it doesn't seem to drain my battery at all. The lasted version allows you to add multiple locations (home, work, vacation spots, etc.) and they are easily changeable. But I don't have experience with the weather apps you are all using.

With that being said. I've updated to 7.1, leave my Wifi on all the time (don't use it alot though) and am having better battery life. I'll have to see after a little more usage but
    01-12-12 10:49 AM
    Can someone with a working BeWeather (on cell location only setting), please let me know what permissions the app has? I am trying to figure out why mine is failing updates. Thanks!
    01-12-12 12:33 PM
    my battery does the exact same thing. it drops from 100% to 92% in about half an hour after turning it on.
    01-15-12 03:15 PM
    my battery does the exact same thing. it drops from 100% to 92% in about half an hour after turning it on.

This is a known issue... And it takes an hour or 2 to happen depending on usage.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-15-12 03:22 PM
    This is a known issue... And it takes an hour or 2 to happen depending on usage.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    The instant 8% drop happens more like within 10, 15min. I wish the phone only consumes 8% juice two hours, even an hour.

Now when you guys are charging the phone please notice that it has an instant jump from 92% to 100% as well

The 9900 SW in batt mgmt is extremely poor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-12 03:39 PM
    I get the 100-92% drop within 10 minutes of removing it from the charger.
    01-15-12 06:55 PM
    Well I guess pcgizmo and I are lucky. If you look at our posts in this thread you will notice that we both posted our battery info. It ook us both about 2-3 hours to get the instant drop.

Over all, the percentages even out. What is that? 2.5% per hour give or take?
    01-15-12 09:59 PM
    The instant-drop depends on which OS you are on.

I'm on 7.$1 because I'm desperate to see if that fixes the batt drainage issue.

01-15-12 10:07 PM
    There are some 7.0's that have it... can't remember which ones. Pretty sure they are the newer ones... .5xx and higher.
    01-15-12 10:18 PM
    There are some 7.0's that have it... can't remember which ones. Pretty sure they are the newer ones... .5xx and higher.
    Yep, all the newer 9900 OS builds have it - .576 .579 .585 .590 and .598

Strangely it's not present in 7.1.0.190 though.
    01-15-12 10:23 PM
    Yep, all the newer 9900 OS builds have it - .576 .579 .585 .590 and .598

Strangely it's not present in 7.1.0.190 though.
    Yeah I read that 7.1.0.190 didn't have it.
    01-15-12 10:40 PM
    Yup, using the 7.1.0.190, doesn't have the instand jump/drop. Doesn't mean the batt rapid-drain issue is fixed on 7.1 though.

01-15-12 10:42 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD