I recently got a Blackberry Bold 9900....the phone is great & works excellent However I am having an issue connecting the Blackberry device to our (home) Linksys wifi router. Whenever I attempt to connect, I receive an error message: 'Unable to associate with the network.' The wifi capability is functional because I have been able to connect to hotspots.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-11 10:46 PM
    Delete the wifi profile from your BB, unplug the router, plug it back in, and reconnect your BB.
    11-26-11 11:34 PM
    This may not mean much if your router is not old. But I once had two routers that I literally ran to the ground and another that was just not good.

Weird case: a few years ago my roommates and I had to have 2 routers where one was attached to another. I've tried every possible workaround but gave up and just did this weird alternative. This one will connect with ipads and iphones but not macs, or this will connect with this mac but not this mac, or everything but not this pc, or this bb but not this pc or ipad. It was really annoying. So the workaround was just use them both. Some of them like wep, some don't. Some liked the firewall on, some don't. Some had issues with streaming when it was this or so setting, the other didn't.

This is not a bb problem, if your router is old. I had routers that won't connect to macs, iphones, ipads. Sometimes the router is just old or dying. Or just doesn't like your device - whatever it may be.

11-27-11 05:00 AM
    Some routers are just flaky. Try a different router. Unless you have zero money, it's worth your time to try another router before wasting a lot of time.

Like selfishreflect noted, sometimes there are compatibility issues with different devices.
    selfishreflect likes this.
    11-27-11 05:10 AM
    Some routers are just flaky. Try a different router. Unless you have zero money, it's worth your time to try another router before wasting a lot of time.

Like selfishreflect noted, sometimes there are compatibility issues with different devices.
    I just realized you summed up my post in one sentence. Very succint.

Sometimes I wonder if my long drawn out explanations actually help people - I sure hope they do.

11-27-11 05:32 AM
    I guess it just depends upon how much time you have.

When I read other peoples stories of problems and solutions, it does help. Most of the time I'm more interested in getting to the point effectively. I could go on and on about problems I ran into over the years and my own preferred solutions, but that isn't as important as just pointing someone in hopefully the right direction.

Keep up the long winded explanations, but maybe summarize at the end.
    11-28-11 01:45 AM
    If the above does not work, log in to your router's page and see if your phone's IP address shows on the status page or network devices, I think it's the DHCP page. You may also need to open your firewall to your phone. Virus protection may need to be configured to see your phone as well. Public networks usually leave all of those doors open so it's easy to get on public networks.
    1) The Linksys has NO Virus protection - You would only find that on more advanced Firewalls, like Sonicwall, Cisco, Barracuda etc...not on $100.00 wireless routers.
    2) Unless the router is filtering on MAC addresses, "opening the firewall" isn't an option either.

It could be a protocol, password or wireless band issue...unless the router really is filtering on MAC addresses, a feature which most people don't turn on.

The BB should connect to the router, regardless if age, unless it's no
    11-28-11 02:57 AM
    If the above does not work, log in to your router's page and see if your phone's IP address shows on the status page or network devices, I think it's the DHCP page. You may also need to open your firewall to your phone. Virus protection may need to be configured to see your phone as well. Public networks usually leave all of those doors open so it's easy to get on public networks.
    1) The Linksys has NO Virus protection - You would only find that on more advanced Firewalls, like Sonicwall, Cisco, Barracuda etc...not on $100.00 wireless routers.
    2) Unless the router is filtering on MAC addresses, "opening the firewall" isn't an option either.

It could be a protocol, password or wireless band issue...unless the router really is filtering on MAC addresses, a feature which most people don't turn on.

The BB should connect to the router, regardless if age, unless it Wireless A only, which I doubt...
    11-28-11 02:58 AM
    No consumer-level Linksys router will block any device by default. There should be no setting that needs to be changed, unless you have enabled MAC filtering, etc.

What model router, what type of encryption, what OS on your BB? Has it ever connected to this router before? I have no problems with my 9900. I recently replaced my Linksys WRT120N with a Netgear 3700, and while the Linksys was flaky as all heck, I did not have connection problems with my BB. I did have to reset the router a lot, but it was for other issues that affected all connected devices, not just my BB.
    11-28-11 06:06 AM
    FWIW (and prolly not relevant ) I have my router set for MAC filtering. Took me an hour of trying to connect to router until I realized that the MAC addy printed on the phones box from ATT was one character off from the actually MAC per phone info screen.
    11-28-11 08:48 AM
    I am fully aware of how it works. I have virus protection on my COMPUTER that warns me when any unrecognized device is accessing my network, and asks me if I want to allow it and to give it an identity on the network when I do. I had considered that the OP may have some similar setup. I am using a DLink DIR-615.
    I doubt that that's his issue...those routers don't use any client software to do what you've indicated. They are fully independent of the network. He's unable to connect to the router and that's not something to do with the client network. In order for that to be the issue, the OP would have to have some type of client software working in unison with the router. Just out of curiosity though...what type of A/V software are you using that does what you describe? I know it's not part of the D-Link software on your router...
    11-28-11 09:08 AM
    Thanks - good to know! I use pro firewalls here - so I'm a bit out of touch with some of the home devices. I don't use any A/V filtering here on any of my PC's...haven't for years, but also don't have anyone else using them either. My firewalls do have the content filtering subscriptions available, but I don't use those either. I do however use very strong MAC filtering and even stronger wireless encryption to ensure the integrity of my domain security.

I'm pretty sure that the OP has a simple issue - and just needs to look into his security setup. I know when I had that issue, it turned out to be something stupid - like 1 out of the 63 character encryption key I use was just badly entered.
    11-28-11 09:41 AM
    I recently got a Blackberry Bold 9900....
    I receive an error message: 'Unable to associate with the network.' The wifi capability is functional because I have been able to connect to hotspots.
    I had intermittent wifi connectivity issues with my Blackberry Bold 9900 with protected Wifi networks.

Upgrading from stock 0.260 firmware to 0.503 did away will all those errors. (and I'm now running 0.540).

Neil
    11-28-11 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD