The lab manual even has instructions on taking the photo.

i am bored today, and i took a picture of a lab manual...not great, but acceptable...
    01-24-12 11:27 PM
    Autofocus advantage - clear close up photos

Allfocus advantage - great action shots with everything near or far in always in focus.

Make your choices, don't moan after you buy. You can put the 9900 in sports mode and shake it while you take the photo, it will still come out clear and focused, something autofocus will never be able to do.

My only complaint is no zoom in video camera.
    01-25-12 05:02 AM
    The 9930 camera is one of the most advanced phone cameras ever developed. If your pictures aren't coming out good blame yourself.
    I love deadpan sarcasm.
    01-25-12 08:36 AM
    Nice shot. I have however seen sharper images taken with older Berrys. Are you saying you would prefer the current camera in your Bold over the Torch or even some of the past Curves?
    I haven't owned a Torch, and I'm not saying that the Bold's camera is the best on the market. I'm not in a position to make an informed statement about that. I've owned the 8320, 8900, 9780, and now the 9900. For non close-up photos taken in decent light, I think the 9900 is at least as good as any of them. For subjects in motion, or photos taken while in motion, the 9900 is better than any of them, especially in Sports mode.

I've taken thousands of pictures with my BBs, including already about 500 with my 9900. I've had my share of blurry pictures with all of my devices. In many cases, the blurriness was the result of the AF lag. That is much reduced on the 9900, even with Image Stabilization on.

If I need to scan a bar code or QR code, I can use Text Mode, back up a foot or so, and use the digital zoom. It works. If I had to do a lot of this sort of thing, I'd definitely want AF. But the great majority of photos that I take are not of that sort, so I'm content to have a camera that's good at capturing subjects in motion, or subjects at varying distances from the camera.

My wife has an iPhone, and when we travel we often snap pictures of the very same things. I'd say that the iPhone camera does a better job with white balance. She also took a picture of the banana tree (see photo above). The parts of the leaves in direct sunlight are less whited out in her picture. But the parts of the leaves in the foreground are blurrier in her picture, because the AF locked on the hanging bananas.
    Just Me likes this.
    01-25-12 10:17 AM
    I have no problem with my 9900's camera. I accept it for what it is. Fixed focus, no problem. I do have a digital camera when I need to take close-ups.
    01-25-12 03:50 PM
    I'm sick and tired of listening to people b*tch about the camera. If you want to take great pictures buy a digital camera!
    01-25-12 11:31 PM
    I'm sick and tired of listening to people b*tch about the camera. If you want to take great pictures buy a digital camera!
    If it bothers you that much don't read the posts lol... I�m very disappointed w/the camera as well along with many other "short falls" on this so called "flagship" device, decided to go back to my 9700 to �feel� the difference� Although the keyboard isn�t as nice, smaller/no touch screen I must say my 9700 is superior in a lot of ways including one major area, RELIABILITY!

No need for me to worry though (camera wise), I carry 6 "real" cameras with me the majority of the time so those elusive shots are never missed
    01-26-12 06:44 AM
    For me, 9900 is indeed an upgrade from the 9700 in all aspects except two (2): battery life and camera function.

Camera function in doing macros, as posted somewhere else, is really bad in the 9900. However, if not shooting macros, its ok.

On the other hand, I find app management indeed helps a lot in battery consumption.

I am not sure about this or if it is only placebo effect but I think battery consumption got better in my 9900 today after installing wifi manager last night.
    01-26-12 06:55 AM
    I haven't owned a Torch, and I'm not saying that the Bold's camera is the best on the market. I'm not in a position to make an informed statement about that. I've owned the 8320, 8900, 9780, and now the 9900. For non close-up photos taken in decent light, I think the 9900 is at least as good as any of them. For subjects in motion, or photos taken while in motion, the 9900 is better than any of them, especially in Sports mode.

I've taken thousands of pictures with my BBs, including already about 500 with my 9900. I've had my share of blurry pictures with all of my devices. In many cases, the blurriness was the result of the AF lag. That is much reduced on the 9900, even with Image Stabilization on.

If I need to scan a bar code or QR code, I can use Text Mode, back up a foot or so, and use the digital zoom. It works. If I had to do a lot of this sort of thing, I'd definitely want AF. But the great majority of photos that I take are not of that sort, so I'm content to have a camera that's good at capturing subjects in motion, or subjects at varying distances from the camera.

My wife has an iPhone, and when we travel we often snap pictures of the very same things. I'd say that the iPhone camera does a better job with white balance. She also took a picture of the banana tree (see photo above). The parts of the leaves in direct sunlight are less whited out in her picture. But the parts of the leaves in the foreground are blurrier in her picture, because the AF locked on the hanging bananas.
    Thanks for the reply, I'm going to play around with the settings on the Bold and see if I can improve the quality of the shots. When I travel I use a Canon point and shoot and end up taking very few phones with the BB, PB and/or iP. Day to day life is exclusively photographed with the Torch.

I guess for me and my GF the day to day pictures (close-ups, text, food, cars and shoes) we are interested in are more suited for the iPhone and Torch style AF camera. When it comes to the fast paced action shots which the Bold is better at, we both leave that up to our point and shot.

I wonder if given the choice would the majority of people prefer an AF camera in the Bold or leave it the way it is?
    01-26-12 10:41 PM
    I don't miss the auto focus at all. The camera takes great pictures. An auto focus unit would have made the 9900/9930 thicker. It takes good pictures in my opinion.
    Would a small flare around the camera to accommodate a larger lens compromise the look and design? I do like the overall thiness of the phone.

When I had my 4s I took plenty of blurry shots. I agree the 9900 is not as good but it does take some good pics.
    I have seen many blurry phone camera shots. The all have limitations. I wonder which camera currently on the market is the best comprise.

The camera is the only thing holding me back from getting a 9900. It's frustrating to have to go with the Torch just to get autofocus.
    I wouldnt let the camera hold you back too long. The Bold keyboard is really really nice.
    Last edited by Just Me; 01-26-12 at 10:57 PM.
    01-26-12 10:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply, I'm going to play around with the settings on the Bold and see if I can improve the quality of the shots. When I travel I use a Canon point and shoot and end up taking very few phones with the BB, PB and/or iP. Day to day life is exclusively photographed with the Torch.

I guess for me and my GF the day to day pictures (close-ups, text, food, cars and shoes) we are interested in are more suited for the iPhone and Torch style AF camera. When it comes to the fast paced action shots which the Bold is better at, we both leave that up to our point and shot.

I wonder if given the choice would the majority of people prefer an AF camera in the Bold or leave it the way it is?
    I don't know about the majority but I like it the way it is.
    01-27-12 03:46 AM
    Is the Bold camera the best? Probably not, but it's not the "worst.camera.ever" as some people make it out to be. Is the Torch camera the best? Hardly, they both have their pros and cons. When you really break it down, there are more pluses to the EDoF camera than the A/F. It really depends on what type of pics you take mostly.

I would take the EDoF camera over the A/F. One of the main reasons I'm leaning more towards the 9900 over the 9810.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 01-27-12 at 01:47 PM.
    01-27-12 11:38 AM
    Great pics Taz.
    01-27-12 01:47 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD