I think it would make sense to upgrade to an autofocus camera in the 99xx. Even with the launch of the QNX based phones, BBOS 7 will be around for a few years to come and the 99xx is their best selling device. Let face it the camera in the flagship 99xx is terrible, the lack of autofocus means that people are regularly shooting blurry pictures. Heins is a camera guy and one thing camera guys will not tolerate is unfocused pictures. This is chance to make a quick fix on an existing problem and show consumer that they have been heard.
    01-24-12 12:56 AM
    are you serious?this topic has been beaten to death.search the forums and you will see.bbx phones should have better cameras.so if you want a decent camera,then a torch is a great option.if you want an exceptional camera,then an iphone will suffice or wait for what rim does with next gen bbx devices.with a new ceo,rim is bound to shake things up.but stop complaining and whining.it just goes to show how the age of digital cameras is gone.folks rely on smartphone cameras to take photos.the evolution of tech-went from old polaroids-to digital-to phone camera.
    01-24-12 01:22 AM
    Unfocused?? With the exception of close-up photos, the EDoF camera takes much less blurry shots in almost every situation. This is ridiculous. It's not unfocused, practically EVERYTHING is in focus. By the time the auto-focus has finally figured itself out, I miss more shots than I get...
    01-24-12 01:33 AM
    are you serious?this topic has been beaten to death.search the forums and you will see.bbx phones should have better cameras.so if you want a decent camera,then a torch is a great option.if you want an exceptional camera,then an iphone will suffice or wait for what rim does with next gen bbx devices.with a new ceo,rim is bound to shake things up.but stop complaining and whining.it just goes to show how the age of digital cameras is gone.folks rely on smartphone cameras to take photos.the evolution of tech-went from old polaroids-to digital-to phone camera.
    Easy now, I'm neither complaining nor whining. This is good information RIM should be considering. I've got the torch am I happy with most of my pics, the auto-focus is a little slow but I get clear pictures with good colour. My girlfriend's Bold, does not take good pictures. She is the one complaining not me. She will never visit Crackberry and unaware of the topics which have been "beaten to death". She wants a better camera to capture and share pictures over BBM. She has already switched from the iPhone and will never go back. The Bold with an improved camera would be perfect for her and those in her demographic. She spent the extra to get the Bold over the Curve and would do so again for the better camera.
    01-24-12 03:04 AM
    Calm down people.

I'm a BB fan but the camera in my 9900 is pretty crap. I doubt they will make the same mistake in up and coming devices, so the post may be a bit redundant, but seriously is that an reason to get so worked up?
    01-24-12 03:14 AM
    I have a 9900 and I find it a bit of a shame for a new device not to have auto focus. I was on my 9700 for a year before my 9900 and I find the camera on the 9700 much better then on the 9900. Unfortunately, it's not possible to "add" autofocus on a phone after it has been produced and sold. It's kind of too late. So this subject won't go anywhere, there is no long term solution.

Though, you can still use image stabilizer and when you take close up pictures, use the text function, it helps apparently. I don't have problems though with pictures let's say of a valley, or a city.

Here are some pictures from the 2012 International Montreal Auto Show. They were taken with my 9900 and some pictures are bad because of the poor lighting in the room. For example, if you look at the Mercedes and the Lamborghini you would not think it's a smartphone camera that took this picture. The Ferraris are a bit darker and poor in colors, once again, it is because of the lighting of the place there (I might have moved also while taking the pictures, I was not 100 % still like in the lambo and Mercedes pictures)

If you find those nice, you got to see the pictures I took with my Playbook !!!!

Lambo: http://i.imgur.com/3qlVh.jpg
    Ferrari 1: http://i.imgur.com/NLmRI.jpg
    Ferrari 2: http://i.imgur.com/4O9cW.jpg
    Ferrari 3: http://i.imgur.com/3z9d5.jpg
    Mercedes: http://i.imgur.com/2DDQg.jpg

Sorry I did not upload them to the forum. They reduce the size of the picture.
    Last edited by Taz.; 01-24-12 at 10:01 AM.
    Laura Knotek and The Me like this.
    01-24-12 09:39 AM
    There is no fixing the camera. If they are still making the 99XX, there is no way they will ever stop and replace the camera unit. The non-focusing cameras were ordered and made for the 99XX.

It is what it is.
    01-24-12 09:49 AM
    don't say anything disparaging about BBs around these parts. there is no listening, only defending until death.
    01-24-12 09:49 AM
    I took these with my 9930, with no flash for my food blog.
    Smidgen and Morsels: Prosciutto and Onion Confit Wrap Salad with Garlic Ranch
    01-24-12 09:54 AM
    Added some pictures in my previous posts, check it out guys !
    01-24-12 10:03 AM
    I took these with my 9930, with no flash for my food blog.
    Smidgen and Morsels: Prosciutto and Onion Confit Wrap Salad with Garlic Ranch
    Ill be sure to give that dish a try, I'm a big fan of food blogs. It is funny you bring that up, my GF is always sharing shots of the food she makes. Unfortunately her pictures do not turn out as well as yours.
    01-24-12 10:07 AM
    Ill be sure to give that dish a try, I'm a big fan of food blogs. It is funny you bring that up, my GF is always sharing shots of the food she makes. Unfortunately her pictures do not turn out as well as yours.
    What phone is she using ?
    01-24-12 10:08 AM
    There is no fixing the camera. If they are still making the 99XX, there is no way they will ever stop and replace the camera unit. The non-focusing cameras were ordered and made for the 99XX.

It is what it is.
    Are you sure? Wouldn't improving the camera in a top moving product be a perfect example of the vertical integration RIM is looking to achieve.
    01-24-12 10:19 AM
    I usually use my Canon Powershot but I'd thought I'd give my 9930 a try. Overall it didn't do too badly. Is the iPhone better at taking pictures, most certainly but the iPhone and Android phones are media and app driven devices BB's are phones first. Thanks for the comments about the blog. Feel free to subscribe to it, I try and post weekly. I'm a former Executive Chef turned food blogger.
    01-24-12 10:23 AM
    But since when do phone companies change the specs of a phone after it has been produced and sold worldwide ?
    01-24-12 10:23 AM
    What phone is she using ?
    She is using the 9900. She switched from another phone where she snaped beautiful shots with ease.
    01-24-12 10:26 AM
    She switched to....
    01-24-12 10:26 AM
    She wants a better camera to capture and share pictures over BBM.
    For things other than close-up, the Bold's EDoF will generally provide clearer photos than an auto-focus camera.

This photo was taken with the 9900:

I think it's as clear as you could want, even including things in the foreground.

In dimmer light, all cameras with small lenses take a hit.

But it takes practice to get used to a new camera, especially a cell phone camera. When I ask someone to take a picture of me with my 9900, the result is usually poor, because they move the camera too soon after taking the photo. EDoF is faster than AF, but there's still some latency--more if you use image stabilization.

As a generalization, it's simply false to claim that the 9900 takes poor, unfocused photos.
    01-24-12 12:55 PM
    As a generalization, it's simply false to claim that the 9900 takes poor, unfocused photos.
    Nice shot. I have however seen sharper images taken with older Berrys. Are you saying you would prefer the current camera in your Bold over the Torch or even some of the past Curves?
    01-24-12 04:51 PM
    Bold camera is good. It's not autofocus, big deal. If you are talking about taking pictures of business cards, you don't have to fill the entire screen. Take it at 20cm. 5MPX is good enough to have it be clear when you zoom in.

BIG FREAKING DEAL! The advantages of it being always in focus are better. Instant shot, focuses everywhere (except for only close)... THIS ISN'T MEANT TO REPLACE A DSLR!!!!

When the sensor becomes of decent size, then we'll talk.
    01-24-12 06:43 PM
    When I had my 4s I took plenty of blurry shots. I agree the 9900 is not as good but it does take some good pics.
    Just Me likes this.
    01-24-12 06:51 PM
    Here's an example of why I prefer the Bold's camera over the Torch with A/F. Here's a picture of a gnarly rollover... or at least it would have been with the 9900:

By the time the auto-focus finally did, it was too late.
    Just Me likes this.
    01-24-12 08:13 PM
    The camera is adequate for general purpose shots. The only issue I see is that the numerous bar code scanning apps are rendered useless on the 9930 since it is nearly impossible to get a clear enough shot of a bar code to read it.

Not really a big deal for me, just wanted to add my two cents.

Cheers
    01-24-12 09:20 PM
    i am bored today, and i took a picture of a lab manual...not great, but acceptable...
    01-24-12 11:11 PM
    I don't miss the auto focus at all. The camera takes great pictures. An auto focus unit would have made the 9900/9930 thicker. It takes good pictures in my opinion.
    01-24-12 11:25 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD