I recently (last week) ordered a 9930 through Amazon wireless as the deal is hard to pass up ($60 with new contract).

The phone arrived on Wed of last week and would NOT power on. I called them and they immediately set up an overnight of a new phone.

Well, the overnight arrived, appeared to be brand new, and powered right on thankfully. But, when I started the setup, there was an email with a "ramapo.edu" name scheme. This is a college in NJ. I am also from NJ....odd. Well, I deleted it, set up my own, and went on.

For the past few days, I have been receiving "care.com" text messages. There was one ON the phone when I first got it set up. It happened again today, so enough was enough.

I called Verizon and explained the situation. They said that it sounded like a used phone and to call Amazon wireless...which I did. I explained to them, and was shocked to hear that they knew of an issue in which returned customer phones were accidentally mixed in with new ones, and I most definitely received someone elses phone!

They are overnighting a second phone to me now. I do not blame them at all and still believe that they have *excellent* customer service. They did not give me any kind of hassle and took care of me both times very speedily. However, it is kind of a bummer since I put a $6 screen protector on the phone which now has to be trashed, set up the phone just the way I want it....and now I have to start from scratch again. Ugh.

Anyway, just a heads up if you have ordered one and find some odd things just as I have. It might not be new.
    03-25-12 10:22 AM
    I highly doubt you need a screen protector. Thanks for the insight though!
    lynawry likes this.
    03-25-12 04:13 PM
    The 9900 screens DO scratch. My fiancee's stays in her purse all day and there are some good deep scratches that will not come out. Keys and other metal objects will chew up the glasss.
    03-25-12 04:28 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. I feel that when you buy a new phone and something goes wrong with the phone that's not the buyers fault, carriers should give you a new phone also, NOT a refurbished phone if it's within the warranty time frame. Carriers are making a killing giving "used" phones to consumers. By the way I would suggest getting a screen protector
    03-25-12 04:36 PM
    I keep my phone in the holster at all times, I also read that the glass is 'unscratchable' lol
    03-25-12 04:43 PM
    NO glass is unscratchable, not even "Gorilla Glass". While that type of glass is much more durable than the standard glass used in devices, it will scratch under some conditions as well. I always put a screen protector on any device with a screen. Dry protectors are best throughout my years of using these devices, and it all started with my Tapwave Zodiac. That is when I found Boxwave.com and have been using their protectors ever since. The 9930 protectors I purchased were through them, and they work great. They are "supposed" to be washable, but they never go on just right after removal however. I just make sure I have a spare and toss the one on the device when it gets beat up.....or in this case when I have to return the device
    03-25-12 09:49 PM
    One reason I deal with my carrier only.
    03-25-12 10:35 PM
    maybe it would be better if the title says "please be cautious if ur buying a 9930 from amazon..."
    just sayin..
    03-25-12 10:38 PM
    Still, $60 still beats out $220+ any day.
    03-25-12 10:43 PM
    I highly doubt you need a screen protector. Thanks for the insight though!
    No you need a screen protector because no matter what phone you have.
    -------
    Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900 using webkit
    web
    03-25-12 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD