So I don't seem to have any of the battery problems in the other myriad of battery problem threads, but I have a different one...

I was in a movie the other night and before it started, I pushed 'Off' and watched as my phone powered down. Then I put the phone back neatly in its holster. When I shut it down, the battery was about 55%. After the 2 hour film, I couldn't turn my phone back on. I thought it just went dud on me (only had it a few days). When I get home I plug it in, and after a few it fires up; battery was stone dead.

Today, to test it, I took my phone off the charger this morning, made a couple calls, some texts, emails, etc... and it was largely still full. I went ahead and pushed 'Off' again from the onscreen power button and set it down on the counter. I came back this evening, and sure as heck, dead again.

How in the world does my phone act fine when on, but when it's OFF, the battery gets sucked dry???
    09-10-11 02:27 AM
    Couple of possibilities. First, pushing the "off" button on top does not power down the phone. It causes it to go into standby just as though you had put it in your holdetr.

The phone was likely hunting for a signal which it does inside the holster - otherwise you wouldn't be able to get text and phone calls while in your belt. Inside the theater, perhaps a weak reception area, so it would have been using up a lot of of battery power during those two hours.

It's not unique to your phone.

Second possibility if an app running in the background that kept polling due to the weak signal inside the theater.
    09-10-11 11:26 AM
    Couple of possibilities. First, pushing the "off" button on top does not power down the phone. It causes it to go into standby just as though you had put it in your holdetr.

The phone was likely hunting for a signal which it does inside the holster - otherwise you wouldn't be able to get text and phone calls while in your belt. Inside the theater, perhaps a weak reception area, so it would have been using up a lot of of battery power during those two hours.

It's not unique to your phone.

Second possibility if an app running in the background that kept polling due to the weak signal inside the theater.
    Heya,

I wasn't using the button on top (lock). I scrolled on the screen over to the power off icon and used that, and watched as it said the phone was powering off. Then the screen went black; buttons didn't cause it to light back up and of course didn't get any texts/emails/etc while in the movie. Seemed pretty "off" to me, but then... dead battery
    09-10-11 11:53 AM
    I would take your phone to your local service provider store they should swap your new blackberry for you
    09-10-11 11:55 AM
    Also if you are in Canada, you can also call the 1-800 number for RIM if your service provider give you run around. I had to do that once.
    09-10-11 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD