I just don't feel the excitement like from the others products I did.

I might consider waiting for QNX phones.

What about you guys?
    08-10-11 01:51 PM
    I've been waiting for this phone for too long not to get it. But I would be tempted to wait for the QNX phones if I wasn't stuck on a dying Bold 9000. I'm just not as excited about it as I was back when it was first announced, it's not new to me any more. Although that will probably change when I get it.
    08-10-11 01:54 PM
    Play with one first, it may still be good enough to make a move now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 01:56 PM
    Question of perspective, really. I have had my phone since 2009, and as the original 8300 used similar hardware, I've essentially been using a phone that's now nearing five years old.

Either way, it would feel like an enormous upgrade. But if I were to really raise my expectations, none of the phones would wow me today simply because of the underlying infrastructure.

Let me explain:
    We've now seen cellphones for two decades and today's modern manufacturing capabilities have collapsed the prices of handsets down to the point where everyone can own a cellphone. Mobile carriers in 2011, no less, can't provide a stable, ubiquitous connection to each and every cellphone even after spending hundreds of millions of dollars on infrastructure while locking consumers into contracts and charging ungodly amounts for service.

For the amount of money poured into mobile communications, it's absurd that we still have problems with dead spots and dropped calls. But instead of complaining about the underlying network, its performance, and pricing, people bicker about which phone is better.

IMO, this is why in 2011, the state of technological advancement in mobile is still absolute ****e.
    Last edited by sg8330; 08-10-11 at 02:00 PM.
    THE_ BOLD_1, mikeyyy and Zizzzzy like this.
    08-10-11 01:58 PM
    If they go with a single core QNX phone, then its going to be certain death to RIM. I am certainly not buying another single core phone. If you want a true multi tasking phone, single core (unless its highly clocked CPU), will slow down other apps when they are running. Back when I got Pentium 3 and 4's. I constantly ran into issues where one app would freeze up my entire system (even with a 3ghz P4). When I upgraded to dual core, I almost never run into that issues. With the current quad core I got, I never ran into an issue where my computer slowed down or something. Everything runs perfectly no matter what I am doing or have in the background. Multicore is the way and RIM should understand that.
    Last edited by slingxshot; 08-10-11 at 02:04 PM.
    08-10-11 01:59 PM
    Question of perspective, really. I have had my phone since 2009, and as the original 8300 used similar hardware, I've essentially been using a phone that's now nearing five years old.

Either way, it would feel like an enormous upgrade. But if I were to really raise my expectations, none of the phones would wow me today simply because of the underlying infrastructure.

Let me explain:
    We've now seen cellphones for two decades and today's modern manufacturing capabilities have collapsed the prices of handsets down to the point where everyone can own a cellphone. Mobile carriers in 2011, no less, can't provide a stable, ubiquitous connection to each and every cellphone even after spending hundreds of millions of dollars on infrastructure while locking consumers into contracts and charging ungodly amounts for service.

For the amount of money poured into mobile communications, it's absurd that we still have problems with dead spots and dropped calls. But instead of complaining about the underlying network, its performance, and pricing, people bicker about which phone is better.

IMO, this is why in 2011, the state of technological advancement in mobile is still absolute ****e.
    The main issue is coverage. Unless you are standing next to the antenna and the antenna provides 4G speeds, they everyone is happy. But this is a mobile device, you suppose to travel with it, go anywhere and have fast connection and that is not happening.

I remember back in 1999, we got an advertisement that Time Warner is providing Road Runner, I believe it was 2Mbps or may be 3Mbps. Even no matter how crappy Time Warner is, every 2 years or so, they increased the throughput by 1-2 Mbps for free without charging extra. Now what sucks is that they are kind of stuck between 15-30Mbps in this area. Anything more is going to cost you a fortune.
    08-10-11 02:08 PM
    this thread seems like it should have been out never.
    imrank128, bAAx, menaknow and 6 others like this.
    08-10-11 02:26 PM
    If they go with a single core QNX phone, then its going to be certain death to RIM. I am certainly not buying another single core phone. If you want a true multi tasking phone, single core (unless its highly clocked CPU), will slow down other apps when they are running. Back when I got Pentium 3 and 4's. I constantly ran into issues where one app would freeze up my entire system (even with a 3ghz P4). When I upgraded to dual core, I almost never run into that issues. With the current quad core I got, I never ran into an issue where my computer slowed down or something. Everything runs perfectly no matter what I am doing or have in the background. Multicore is the way and RIM should understand that.
    Not as simple as just adding cores to provide faster multi-tasking. The OS has to be programmed to take advantage of it. A single-core CPU with software finetuned to use that particular CPU will run alot smoother than a dual-core with just some crappy OS. The first Android dual-core phones made no use of the dual-core in real use.

That's why proclaiming to only buy dual-core phones from now on is a bit simplistic.
    Soloman02 likes this.
    08-10-11 02:31 PM

What about you guys?
    No matter what BGR says, we are not going to see a QNX phone till 3rd quarter 2012.

I would not wait that long.
    southlander likes this.
    08-10-11 02:33 PM
    I would like to buy this phone but I just paid cash for a bold 9780 6 months ago so I think it is best if I just wait for the QNX phones to come out.
    08-10-11 03:02 PM
    At this rate, no one really knows when the QNX will be out or if they are in fact delayed, you may be able to get one of the BB7 devices and be eligible for upgrade by the time the QNX arrives. That's my plan.
    08-10-11 03:06 PM
    You should have posted this thread last summer!!!!why all the whining?can't satisfy everyone.

08-10-11 03:06 PM
    I was sold on this phone after the first video I saw of it. It has not disappointed. Your QNX wait may be longer than you think.

southlander likes this.
    08-10-11 03:33 PM
    I have to say i really admire those who have stuck to their guns and still have a 2+ year old device. Nowadays is soo easy to buy into the hype, i personally find myself switching devices every 2 months or so...rediculous!!

I don't blame the OP cuz all the talk is either LTE or iphone 5 and will get worse once the bionic comes out and apple annouces release dates, but if blackberry is what really works for you, don't let others persuade you.

I hope the 9900 is it, and i can stick it with for at least one year. It's time to stop waisting money and saving for the rainy or sunny (vaca) days.
    08-10-11 03:55 PM
    let me guess. you think the phone feels like it should have come out last year, but you don't actually own one yet, right?

What about you guys?
    markkang11 likes this.
    08-10-11 03:59 PM
    This phone should have been out two summers ago. The reason so many BB users are pissed (including myself) is because the devices are not keeping up with the times. A 9900 (flagship device) that doesn't have more than a 5 MP camera or FFC? Where is HDMI out? How come I still can't hookup a good keyboard made for the phone by RIM? Why do I still have to do battery pulls? Come on. There are many other things lacking from RIM these days.

I certainly hope they turn things around. I have been with RIM for many years now. My first was the 6230. Soon I am going to go to iPhone. If RIM can turn it around, I might be back, but they need to do some serious work.
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-10-11 04:01 PM
    The phone does look like it should have came out a few months ago but who cares!? If i had it my way I would kept the future bolds wide and thin. It is what it is ya know? Join the band wagon and buy one, if not then move onto something else. I absolutely love my pantech p7040 so getting this 9900 is going to a dream come true.
    08-10-11 04:02 PM
    Pretty simple...don't get the Bold 99** series...wait until August or September of next year or longer for RIM' "Superphone" Colt QNX, which like RIM does, will already be at least six months behing the latest 2012 Evo or 2012 iphone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S3...point is RIM will ALWAYS be behind other devices...just how it is. Comfortable and reliable or new and flashy?

08-10-11 04:47 PM
    WTF am I reading?

Every processor made since the beginning of micro-computing would like to have a word with you. Multi-core processing isn't going to magically make a computer more capable of multitasking, unless the software is heavily optimized for it. It's amazing how people can fall for such marketing gimmicks and try to pass it off as a beneficial feature for a mobile phone.

Also, I'm certain that if an app would do what you described to a P3/P4 system, it was more likely due to limited RAM than your processor. Your "performance improvements" by switching to dual-core processors? Most likely due to improved memory architecture than adding another processing core.

I understand that you want the BB to compete with other platforms on specs, (dual/quad/hexcore, QDR ram, questionable battery life, etc) and that's cool, but trying to spread misinformation does nothing but make you look bad.
    ratchetjaw#AC and jedimstr397 like this.
    08-10-11 06:18 PM
    rim does work a slow pace but they keep quality above quantity.on the other hand,at&t decided to stop their roller coaster(carrying iphone 5,9900,9860)halfway on the top before the first drop until the fall months because hardware malfunction occurred on their roller coaster.people observing this coaster are mad that drop did not occur.it was later determined that the at&t coaster is being operated by a circus clown and not a supervisor at the theme park.
    08-10-11 06:29 PM
    QNX is optimized for dual core so drop that whole arguement please.
    08-10-11 06:42 PM
    My Torch 9800 felt like a compromise last year when I upgraded from a Curve 8530. I like some of the new features on the BB7 phones but so far it looks like upgrading this year would just be another compromise; a stop-gap until something really neat actually happens.

I'm on the fence, keep my 9800 until QNX comes out or bail out entirely for one of the new Windows Phones by Nokia when they come out this fall. Still feeling enough BB love to make it a hard choice.
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    08-10-11 06:43 PM
    Idk about you bro but I know that a majority of people and myself are mad hype for this release!
    08-10-11 06:58 PM
    Just a quick question,

A lot of people seem to make a huge deal out of the number of cores that these new mobile phone processors have. Is there a specific reason? How do you hope to benefit in mobile communication from additional cores?
    08-10-11 07:08 PM
    Pretty simple...don't get the Bold 99** series...wait until August or September of next year or longer for RIM' "Superphone" Colt QNX...

Yup, I feel at this point I will pass on the 9900 and wait to come back to BB when they release a QNX device.

I have 2 upgrades, so now I'm looking at the next Android for AT&T (use 1 of the 2 upgrades), then if QNX comes out in a year or less (yesterday's youtube update I posted claimed QNX for 1st quarter of 2012), I'll use my 2nd upgrade then.

I really like my 9700 btw but it's now slow running OS6 (despite shrinking the OS) and my browser always crashes. I've been thinking of going back to OS5 and keeping my 9700 a little longer until I find a phone I'm fully satisfied with...and the 9900 doesn't look to be the one for me at this point. I'll pass.
    08-10-11 07:31 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD